Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > TiVo Desktop Software

TiVo Desktop Software
-Q-
Apr 7, 2003, 05:45 PM

TiVo made their desktop software available today along with it's home media option. I'll be interested in seeing how it works, with it's Rendezvous technology. Although I have a bad feeling it's going to mess up my nice wireless connection that I've had going for about 2 onths now.

But if you've tried it already, post about it! I'll be downloading the software for the TiVo when I get out of work tonight and I'll try and post my thoughts about it later...

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 05:50 PM

Too bad this only works with the standalone version of Tivo. If you have a DirecTivo (integrated DirecTV and Tivo box) you are SOL. Personally, I have an UltimateTV box (integrated DirecTV and UTV) so this is really not an option for me ... but it would be cool. So I guess I still have to wait on a product that can easily plug into my Airport network and let me play my MP3s and Photos on my home theater system.

OAW

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
Too bad this only works with the standalone version of Tivo. If you have a DirecTivo (integrated DirecTV and Tivo box) you are SOL.
Actually, it works fine so long as you have a DirecTiVo Series 2 box, which recently became available -- it works with any Series 2 TiVo.

-mpm

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2003, 06:44 PM

I need a TiVo for college.

Question about them: Can you move them from one location to another without an extra cost? I would be moving it between 2 states when traveling back home on a couple of holidays.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
why not get an eyetv?

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2003, 08:17 PM

Whats that? I'm not too aware of the DVR market. I know that the ReplayTV company (SonicBlue) went bankrupt so I shouldn't get that.

What I do know is I want something that can record tv shows without tapes. Something easy so I don't have to worry about catching my favorite shows.

(sorry this isn't exactly software related!)

Weezer
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 08:25 PM

http://elgato.com/

Its a PVR but for your computer, with no monthly fees. You can watch live tv, pause, rewind, record, and whatnot all from your mac.

parkds
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 08:36 PM

SO about 30 min ago my Tivo finally finished an hour+ download of the new Tivo OS and of the HMO. After that lengthy process though, it took about 2 min to get Tivo on my wifi network and to get my Mac sharing music and photos! I really like the service so far! It is simple and painless. I have access to all my itunes playlists and the complete library (sorted like it is on an iPod...artist, albums, songs, genres).
Pretty cool...nice to finally have access to all my music on my home stereo with the touch of a button!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by mpmchugh:
Actually, it works fine so long as you have a DirecTiVo Series 2 box, which recently became available -- it works with any Series 2 TiVo.

-mpm
Interesting. I wasn't aware there was a Series 2 DirecTivo yet. I guess I'll have to check out Tivo's home page. It will have to be really good to get me to give up my UltimateTV though!

OAW

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 10:23 PM

snap some photos of it for us all to see!

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

parkds
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 02:47 AM

You asked for it...so here are some pictures of the Tivo Home Media Option running. All you do is check a box on a Tivo Preference Pane to share all your photos and music and it works! Here is the link:

Tivo Home Media Option Pictures

Beer Penguin
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 03:17 AM

Cool. I want one.
Dooby, dooby doo.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 06:30 AM

VERY nice shots.

Any one have any idea if a series 1 tivo hacked with a netowrk card would be able to do this??

Also, for those looking for solutions, another option (if you have a PS2) is BroadQ. The product is still young, but maturing quickly, and you can watch movies, pix, and music via your PS2 - $50. As I have a component video connection to my TV from my PS2 and a digital optical connection to my stereo - it seems like the highest quality to get media into my system - but I haven't gotten anything yet - still waiting for the dust to settle on these technologies - maybe this summer...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2003, 09:38 AM

I think this is the general direction we are moving in. I'm just wondering when it will become more reasonably priced without a paid subscription.

I'm just wondering when Apple will make their own box...

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I think this is the general direction we are moving in. I'm just wondering when it will become more reasonably priced without a paid subscription.

I'm just wondering when Apple will make their own box...
Not for a while I don't think. They latched on with Tivo for this rendezvous thing, so why are they going to want to burn that bridge now?

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

-Q-  (op)
Apr 8, 2003, 10:38 AM

Downloaded the software last night (using by wireless connection that I had set up previously before it was "officially supported") and upon reboot, of course, I now can't connect to the network. Says I'm not running a DHCP server. Odd, b/c every other computer in the house, both wired and wireless, can pull a DHCP-assigned IP address just fine.

I'm sure it's related to my security settings of the router, but I just haven't had time to play with it. Looks very cool from parkds' photos. Thanks for sharing those!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by tikki:
Not for a while I don't think. They latched on with Tivo for this rendezvous thing, so why are they going to want to burn that bridge now?
Very true... I think Apple just wants to be the GLUE that holds all of these components together...

If I were a company like TiVo, Sony, etc. etc. I would hate working woth M$... they watch what you do, and then do it for themselves and try to force you out of the market...

ReefHobbyist
Apr 8, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by mpmchugh:

-mpm
Actually, no, it doesn't work with DirectTV with TiVo. Eventhough Directv has a series 2 box Directv is not supporting HMO. The is a petition started to send to Directv.

Scott

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:

Question about them: Can you move them from one location to another without an extra cost? I would be moving it between 2 states when traveling back home on a couple of holidays.
Yup, kind of.

When you pay for a subscription, you get access from anywhere in the country. You need to either connect it to the phone line all the time, or connect it to ethernet if you get a newer model that has an ethernet jack.

However, the TiVo needs to be reconfigured for each new cable system it encounters. You'll have to go through a process to download and expand the data for the new channels. I think this might have taken an hour or so via modem. Now I have a hacked-on ethernet connection, but I'm not sure how much time that shaves off the process, since I haven't gone through it lately.

It also grabs a configuration based on information you provide, so you could easily change it from your home cable system to your school cable system the night before you leave.

This process just changes the channel listings and stored schedule; It doesn't get rid of anything you might have already recorded on the TiVo.

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by ReefHobbyist:
Actually, no, it doesn't work with DirectTV with TiVo. Eventhough Directv has a series 2 box Directv is not supporting HMO. The is a petition started to send to Directv.

Scott
Yeah, I just saw this last night. <sigh>

Not that I have a Series 2 yet, but I'd like to get one for HMO and the Web programming support... hopefully they'll agree to support HMO soon.

-mpm

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 02:48 PM

So.... this is a way to get your photos and music from the mac shown on the TV, but can I watch my TiVo recorded content on my powerbook while I cook dinner, streaming over my Airport connection?

The moment that comes out, I'm buying.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

-Q-  (op)
Apr 8, 2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
So.... this is a way to get your photos and music from the mac shown on the TV, but can I watch my TiVo recorded content on my powerbook while I cook dinner, streaming over my Airport connection?

The moment that comes out, I'm buying.
The HMO software doesn't offer that yet, but I think we're a step closer to that. And I'm sure some enterprising coder out there is working on it now that the network can "see" the TiVo...

Here's hoping it's soon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules