Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Transfer iMac files to MacBook

Transfer iMac files to MacBook
Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2008, 01:21 AM

Just bought a MacBook and tried to transfer files from fairly new iMac via Migration Assistant...what a disaster so that I had to restore MacBook to original state.

Since I only plan to transfer selected files and certain items such as Safari bookmarks, I tried to transfer via airport. But the MacBook will not connect to iMac Computer even though on the same Airport Express network. I have selected file sharing on the iMac. The MacBook does use the Airport network to operate the internet with no problems.

Any help?

Also thought I could get files from iMac backup on iDisk but can not locate these backup on the MacBook?

Any help?
Switcher and damn glad...with iMac and PB who would not be happy!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 04:27 AM

You're talking about the MacBook Air, right? I think it makes more sense with the Air to use a USB hard drive than to attempt a network migration.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dell Switcher  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2008, 08:51 AM

No just the regular MacBook
Switcher and damn glad...with iMac and PB who would not be happy!

ibook_steve
Feb 11, 2008, 02:43 PM

Once you enable file sharing on a machine, you have to choose what items to share before any other machines will see your machine. On the iMac, do a Get Info on a folder (such as your user folder), and turn on Shared folder. That's in Leopard. It may be slightly different in earlier OS's, but you should get the idea.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2008, 11:20 PM

Do you have a Firewire cable? Target Disk Mode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules