Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Freehand MX, OS X and PDF - how?

Freehand MX, OS X and PDF - how?
zilmer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2003, 10:25 AM

Could somebody please explain me, how can I control the resolution of the images that I use inside my FH document, when I am making a PDF file.

I print to localhost (the OS is Mac OS X 10.2.4, I have set the Acrobat Distiller PPD for localhost print-to-file printer) and I get to set all the options (though sometimes click "Advanced" button under Freehand MX menu does not display the advanced options but just a simple preview of the document - I don't ge it, what am I doing wrong??).

But there is no control over the resolution of the images - I print to file and get a PDF that contains a bitmap file with a screen preview quality.

I could do it in 9, since I had Distiller and could alter the quality of the .ps file that I had output. But since Mac OS X does not have Distiller, I've totally lost the control over the resolution. What's the trick? Do I need to get a 3rd party utility? Why hasn't Macromedia thought of this problem beforehand? The support pages do not address this issue anywhere...

Help me, I need Freehand for every day work very badly!

Rocha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 11:33 AM

Go to file>export.
Choose PDF format
Click on the "Setup..." button
Select your compression.

Hope this helps

Rocha
Rocha

zilmer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2003, 12:25 PM

Not really. It's an option, but it doesn't let me control the lpi I need to output. Some publishers require it 130lpi, some 150lpi and so on. Export only let's you adjust image quality from Low to Maximum (whatever that means) or smth...

It is an option, but doesn't really help me. Thanks for the answer, does anybody else have any other solutions? It can't be that you cannot make a decent PDF from Freehand, can it? It would be absolutely pointless to use FH under X then?!?

Of course there is always an option of exporting stuff to EPS from Freehand and then making the right PDF of it InDesign, but this is freaking stupid to have to go through this every time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules