Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > [REQ] 15" Alloy owners...

[REQ] 15" Alloy owners...
CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 06:15 PM

I'd like to request feedback specifically about fan noise and fan usage in the 15" Alloy PowerBooks. I have the 1GHz Titanium and the fan(s) are virtually always on, non-stop. This was not the case w/ my previous PowerBook, an 800MHz/DVI. It ran quiet most of the time, usually only kicking on the fans w/ Photoshop.

So now that the 15" Alloys have been out there for a while (well, those who haven't been sending them in for repair) I thought I'd ask what your experiences have been over the past couple of months in regard to fan noise and fan use/amount.

Thank you for your time and any feedback you can give me.

//Carbon

PS - Does the 'chirp' affect the 15" Alloy or only the 17"? I've noticed a chirp on my current Titanium when my HP Officejet 6110 is connected and idling, I don't know if this is similar to the Alloy chirp I've read little about.

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 06:19 PM

This powerbook is always quiet, but i do run it on reduced processor all the time, it has never come on in the 4 weeks i have had it now.

But last night i actually heard the Virtual memory on the HD last night, there was the pause and the HD noise.
I still have the stock 512 RAM in it, but last night i was using Indesign, Appleworks, iTunes, Safari for the first time all at the same time.

Other than that its been quiet.

I have the 1.25Ghz model as well.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

jcb9
Dec 3, 2003, 06:43 PM

I don't ever recall noticing the fan. It's probably come on (and it does get rather hot), but it's not loud enough to be distracting. Of course, I do often play music on my computer, so that would probably drown the fan out...

spatterson
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 07:16 PM

I never hear my fan go off. I also never here the HD at all. Its a very quiet solid machine.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 07:59 PM

I run my aluminum book on full speed all the time and the fan hardly ever kicks on, and when it does it's pretty quiet, at least comparied to a tiBook or my old pismo.

Whisper quiet this machine is.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2003, 10:55 PM

Yeah, the 15" is basically silent when it's on without the fan. When the fan comes on, it's only slightly more audible. It's great

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 12:52 AM

... and then from a completely different point of view ... my 15" 1.25 5400RPM AL fan comes on a lot ... especially if I actually keep it in my lap ... energy settings "automatic."

Every other day or so, the second stage fan (the one on the left) comes on with a helluva-distracting clatter ...

Regardless, I LOVE my aluminum beauty!
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

machem
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 02:41 AM

My fan comes on quite often, but I'm usually crunching numbers pretty intensely on the machine. It consistienly comes on at 335K (144 F), and remains on until the temperature falls below 334K. I don't mind the sound of the fan --- it is a soft, fluttery sound, much different than the whine of the black PBs (I don't know what the TiBooks sound like) or iBooks (man, those are loud!).

I haven't ever heard a second fan come on.

HTH
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 01:43 PM

Yeah my fan hardly ever comes on, and when it does, it purrs...my TiBook DVI 800 had a much louder two-stage fan, and the high stage was very loud and anoying. This here 15" Aluminum is much, much quieter.

And the keyboard is awesome. I'm a serious typist, and this thing is a joy, has great action, etc.

deviousgelatin
Dec 4, 2003, 01:58 PM

I've had mine for a month or so now, and I've only heard the fan a few times - maily when doing a very long (10-12hour) bit-torrent download.

Even so, when it does kick in, it's still way quieter than my old G3 Yosemite.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 01:58 PM

Thank you for the feedback so far guys. Sounds like on average it will run more like my DVI/800 did and maybe even be quieter. I'm glad the keyboard was mentioned as well, I haven't gotten a chance to try out the 15" Alloy's keyboard yet and I was wondering about it. My 1GHz Ti has the slightly "spongy" feel to it on the right half, I've tried re-seating it several times... again, my 800 was perfect in this respect as well :\ Still far better than the feel of the (virtually exact same) keyboard used in the Lombard, Pismo, and first gen. Titanium. Maybe I'm just too demanding when it comes to PowerBooks :|

Btw, someone mentioned temperatures of the processor... Does the G4 chip in the Alloy's support temperature output to programs like AquaMon?

Thanks
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

machem
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:

Btw, someone mentioned temperatures of the processor... Does the G4 chip in the Alloy's support temperature output to programs like AquaMon?

Thanks
//Carbon
Yes. ThermographX and Temperature Monitor utilize the probes. I use TM mostly, though ThermographX tracks 4-5 sensors.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:
Thank you for the feedback so far guys. Sounds like on average it will run more like my DVI/800 did and maybe even be quieter. I'm glad the keyboard was mentioned as well, I haven't gotten a chance to try out the 15" Alloy's keyboard yet and I was wondering about it.

Thanks
//Carbon
Yeah, I had an Ti800 and it was pretty quite. My new 1.25GHz PB is definitely the quietest by far.

I had a Ti867 before this and I notice that the fan did come on all the time.

And yes, the keyboard is a lot better than the old removable ones.

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 01:21 AM

Fan?? what fan, i didnt even know there was a fan!
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2003, 04:40 AM

I have both a TiBook 500 and a Al15". The AL15" is much quieter and it is rarely on. I've played EQ and a few other games for hours and it maybe kicks on 3 minutes per hour or I just don't notice it.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Forum Links
Forum Rules