Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bad luck for 5 gig iPod

Bad luck for 5 gig iPod
d33zntz
Jul 21, 2004, 01:33 AM

I originaly bought a 5gig iPod a few months after it came out. After a year of having it, I DID drop it a few times and it eventually just died. It was still under warranty and my local Apple Store replaced it for free.

Almost a year later on my second iPod, it NEVER once was droped. right before the one year mark ( a month to go ) my replacement died. I started having some weird symptons, like getting the dreaded folder with the exclamation mark, resetting the ipod, it would proceed with a buzzing sound coming from what I would assume to be the HD. Again, Apple replaced it.

It's now another year later and guess what? All of a sudden I am having the same symptons as I was almost a year ago. Exclamation folder proceeded with the buzzin sound coming from within the ipod.

I am seriously thinking that I have an iPod curse! So it's BACK to the Apple Store again for hopefully another free replacement. At this point, I think all of my replacements have been refurbished ones.

Anyone else experience this problem or am I just cursed? I have no interest in updating as 5 gigs is plenty of space for me.

Just looking for some answers and wanting to vent.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 02:12 AM

My Mac (iMac DV-SE at the time) wouldn't recognize my first 5 GB iPod. Got a brand-new replacement from the authorized Apple reseller in Kansas City from which I bought it.

That replacement went wonky about 10 months later, although for the life of me, I can't remember exactly what the problem was (it was awhile ago). A brick & mortar Apple Store in Phoenix replaced it with another refurb on the spot, no questions asked, even though I didn't buy it from them.

Eventually sold that third 5 gigger on eBay.

I now have a 2nd generation 10 GB (sorry, 9.2 GB) which has performed flawlessly for more than a year under very heavy use -- hours each day at work, in the car and during workouts.

I'm trying to justify a 4th generation iPod purchase because I love the click-wheel (touch it once and you're hooked), but that'll be a tough sell to the wife.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

videian28
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 08:40 AM

over a year on my 10gb 3g, no problems at all, used every day on my commute....I love audio books

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2004, 08:43 AM

what does the folder with the ! on it mean? my friend's 3g 40gig is having that problem now.

thanks

edit. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61003
i suck, i should have found out for myself

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 01:17 PM

I sold my original iPod to a friend of mine about a year ago. The battery life remains excellent and it continues to run flawlessly. My replacement 3g 20GB is running great too. Maybe you do just have bad luck.

-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules