Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > using powerbook as a portfolio for a job interview?

using powerbook as a portfolio for a job interview?
nycdunz
Senior User
Jan 25, 2005, 05:50 PM

what do you guys think? using your powerbook and using keynote to show off your portfolio instead of bringin a big ass case? Wouldnt this be a great idea you guys think? Please shed some input on this... thanks

or use idvd to make a portfolio dvd?

gautch
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2005, 06:26 PM

Well it depents on your portfolio. If its print, then hell no. If its web the yes. If its video, then yes. If its 3d, then yes. If its acrylics on canvas, then no.

Plus you have to think of the people your showing your portfolio to. Can they view a dvd? If your showing it to alot of people, can they all crowd around the little screen? So you really need to truck your powerbook to an interview?

Just my $.02

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2005, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
what do you guys think? using your powerbook and using keynote to show off your portfolio instead of bringin a big ass case? Wouldnt this be a great idea you guys think? Please shed some input on this... thanks

or use idvd to make a portfolio dvd?
Use the PB with your Keynote or PowerPoint presentation. If you wish, bring a few live samples of your favorites for "touchy feely". Clients/prospects almost expect it these days. It's the modern way to go. Keep your screen presentation consistent, nice large images, common format, simple disolves. Show only your best work. I'd stay clear of using DVDs. Depending on someone else's machine is asking for trouble. It disrupts your presentation, and is open for all sorts of trouble such as problems loading, reading, even compatibility.
Plus not everyone uses/has Keynote or a Mac for that matter. You know it will work on your laptop.

W2

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 12:17 PM

for interactive -- yes. makes sense given that's the environment the consumer experiences the work in.

for print -- NO. it's always best to give people something they can hold, they can touch, they can be intimate with. just like when the target sees it in a magazine.

for tv -- NO. powerbook screens will never capture the work that goes into producing a spot. not to mention, if they view it at the wrong angle they can't see it for shiit.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2005, 02:05 PM

anyone had their laptop die at a critical moment? or the projector doesn't sync? or that link that worked everytime you ran through your script suddenly gives you the file not found white screen of faceoff?

I know that printing web shots, stills of an animation is not popular but the positive reaction I get from the potential clients when I present WOW boards [2 ft x 3ft sturdy board-minimum] in conjunction with the digital presentation seems to impact the clients. It works for me and my guys.

I can't disagree with anything that anyone before me said - I am just suggesting augmenting and "fireproofing" the presentation a bit.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 12:56 AM

I would probably never do this in my life. I think its tacky, and has way too large a chance for failure. I've done alot of web work, I've never had anyone complain that a screenshot in my book wasn't sufficient. I encourage them to go to the sites themselves if they want to interact with it. Cause well, I would rather spend my interview time convincing them that I'm the bee's knees rather than letting them watch flash tweens.

For video, I'd bring a demo reel.

In fact, does it make me a bit full of myself that if I was in a hiring position I'd seriously laugh at any kid who busts out a keynote presentation at an interview?

If you're an interactive kid, well you shouldn't be using keynote. If you're a print monkey, I want to see your work in print. If you're a video guy I should have your demo reel already.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 09:16 AM

If you have tv / film experience you'll want to bring a DVD � it's become the standard. Used to be a 3/4" reel was the trick but that's gone away. Also, if you meet with clients directly be prepared with a VHS tape just in case.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2005, 09:59 AM

If you're looking in the print area: I'd want to see how your idea looked after it was printed�showing me if you are able to take a 2 and a 4 color job, get it ready for the printer, and have everything turn out correctly.

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 01:42 AM

Bringing along a powerbook is tacky, in my opinion, unless you do interactive work almost exclusively. Print is all about the combination of design elements, colour on paper, texture, bindery, printing techniques, and how these all play off of each other.

Showing real pieces also proves that "Hey � this was a real project; not just something I made up so my book looks good."

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by jamiep:
Bringing along a powerbook is tacky, in my opinion, unless you do interactive work almost exclusively. Print is all about the combination of design elements, colour on paper, texture, bindery, printing techniques, and how these all play off of each other.

Showing real pieces also proves that "Hey � this was a real project; not just something I made up so my book looks good."

After reading this debate, here's my two cents: Using a Powerbook (PB) is not tacky at all. It is an accepted and effective tool. As an example, a PowerPoint presentation, can provide a cohesive format allowing for a seamless presentation that can cover print, video, interactive media, or 3D. I've presented entire projects that may have included a range of print ads, brochures, web sites, signage/ displays- including outdoor billboards. Presenting package design for example on a PB, allows me to show rendered concepts in a common format, (even on a store shelf stacked up against competitive products) without the expensive of creating actual 3D mockups too early in the process. Indeed, It does make a nice impression to print out and mount concepts on black board. When presenting to a large group, you do want the presentation to be seen. However, in a client's tiny office or at a smaller conference room, presenting with boards can be cumbersome with the focus on struggling and arranging the boards and not on the content.

Using a PB in a credentials presentation or interview is alway exceptable and has no negative conotation. Sure, it's great to have samples. Yes, clients or prospects do like touchy feely. Lets assume ads, packaging, those intricate folders or brochures etc., can fit into a portfolio with minimal damage. After a few showings, even the best protected ones can become tacky themselves. From much handling, they become dog-eared, scratched, chipped, dirty with fingerprints or stains and start looking worn, grubby and old. Clients/prospects sometimes like to "borrow" live samples to show around and too often never return them. Many times, there are too few samples. Often, there are no samples due to stingy clients, short runs or too much " borrowing".

It's more important to present yourself, your capabilities, skills and thinking in a clean compelling format. Live samples add to it to be sure, but they should never be considered center stage.

W2

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 11:30 AM

Westbo:

I respectfully disagree. It's not the preferred means of showcasing the work. If you put the time and effort into creating an ad, poster, package, etc. it deserves to be shown in the best possible fashion.

I've reviewed many books and hired a number of people. The work would have to be damn good for me to get over that sort of presentation.

Remember, a prospective employer is looking at your work and how you present. If you can't get your **** together to bring in proper presentation materials I assume that's how you'll perform when hired. I certainly wouldn't want a person who presents like that going in front of my clients.

The fact is doing the work is the easy part. Anyone can make an ad or create a package design. Selling it, now there's the talent. And the presentation is key to success.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2005, 02:41 PM

great multimedia PowerPoint or Director DVD presentation does not mean you know anything about print... I am probably dating myself a bit but I can't see in an interview, for a print-oriented job, if the perspective someone shows up with their book and it is in a plastic case . . .
I am going to have an allergic reaction to the interview that follows.

Its not that I break out the loupe and check the alignment on the proofs or laser - the work often speaks for itself. The printed material with careful mounting, shows attention to details - knowledge of the business - which is getting harder and harder to find - it just adds to the 'wow-factor'.

Honestly, this thread has gone on with such different approaches - I am impressed and even starting to think that I better consider the next cat who comes in with a digital presentation... thanks for the thoughts guys. Now I am confused.

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 07:11 PM

It's been my experience that an �ber slick presentation can be in place to mask a weak portfolio. Not the rule, but seen many times.

siMac
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by art_director:
Anyone can make an ad or create a package design. Selling it, now there's the talent. And the presentation is key to success.
It's been my experience that an �ber slick presentation can be in place to mask a weak portfolio. Not the rule, but seen many times.
Wait a minute, you can't bat for both teams!
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by siMac:
Wait a minute, you can't bat for both teams!

Actually you can.

A good presentation can mean many things. It can mean well-organized, it can mean, clean, it can mean well defined, it can mean well packaged, it can mean all of these things and more.

When someone brings in a custom made case that obviously took a lot of work and then the ads / designs inside it are lacking, then there's a problem. If I've seen this once I've seen it a hundred times and it's a killer.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2005, 06:30 PM

Actually you can.

A good presentation can mean many things. It can mean well-organized, it can mean, clean, it can mean well defined, it can mean well packaged, it can mean all of these things and more.

When someone brings in a custom made case that obviously took a lot of work and then the ads / designs inside it are lacking, then there's a problem. If I've seen this once I've seen it a hundred times and it's a killer.
When I have nearly zero content and am forced to give a presentation... I fire up Keynote and use as many �bber cool effects as possible. It keeps the focus off of the real issue at hand...

The sad part is, it always works... (or has so far). Sure people will question the project, but 1/2 of them think "wow, he really has a handle on this project" even when it's a pile of documents in an "Untitled Folder" on my desktop...

normdzn
Feb 10, 2005, 08:04 PM

Hi Y'all,

Hmmm... great points... I believe having a PB can be very effective to impress a future client or employer along with your book. I can present a slide show with (logos) identity/branding work (which could be presented while handing out a printed sample of the letterhead and business cards. It also helps me show my designs in action whether they are street banners or backlit window vinyls. Having a PB along with your book can only enhance the client's experience.

Of course unless you have technical problems...

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 08:11 PM

I once collaborated with a designer who thought that doing client presentations with her powerbook would impress the client more than the work itself (she never said it in so many words)... needless to say, that was the last project I worked on with her.

Presenting with a powerbook is acceptable only under two conditions:

1. You bring a projector with you, and
2. The client can accommodate this kind of presentation

Even then, I don't believe it is the best thing to do. I don't do digital presentations without accompanying printed pieces. I make sure that I have printed literature for everyone attending, and it must be complete and thorough. This is what wows a client even more than a "slick" presentation alone. The only thing a digital presentation has over a traditional printed one is the motion aspect (and maybe sound, but that is really tacky in anything but a multimedia project), and that is not a factor if you can leverage the use of quality photography of finished work, good writing, and a clean, easily navigable layout.

I mean, you can be cheap and forgo the cost of printing and go digital (the cost of presentations is included with my fee, so I always make sure there is enough ), but hey, you get what you pay for...

And who says you have to bring your original printed pieces to an interview/presentation? I create a booklet, a "capabilities brochure" if you will, that showcases most of the work I have done, in various media. I can show more work in this "brochure" than I could ever physically bring with me, and they get to keep that, and can examine the quality of the printing and binding. If warranted, a CD-ROM with an interactive presentation can be included. I believe the key is keeping your presentations as simple and accessible as possible.
( Last edited by himself; Feb 10, 2005 at 08:32 PM. )
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by normdzn:
Hi Y'all,

Hmmm... great points... I believe having a PB can be very effective to impress a future client or employer along with your book. I can present a slide show with (logos) identity/branding work (which could be presented while handing out a printed sample of the letterhead and business cards. It also helps me show my designs in action whether they are street banners or backlit window vinyls. Having a PB along with your book can only enhance the client's experience.

Of course unless you have technical problems...

The way you describe using the PowerBook offers no advantage over boards. In fact, unless you're projecting your presentation, it works against you given that the screen is small and you must sit directly in front of it to get the optimum view.

IMHO, even projecting your work is a bad idea for three reasons:

1. Holding your boards in a presentation attaches them to you. If you hold them properly it conveys your passion for the work. Projecting detaches you from the work, the ideas.

2. Projectors have come a long way but there can be so many variables that work against you � too much light, a lack of a screen, etc.

3. Clients look at projected presentations every day. They even create some themselves. It's boring. They look to creative people to bring fresh, energetic thinking and presentations to the table. Slide shows don't do that.

I've had a number of clients who would only meet with their agencies on Fridays. The reason being that they thought the creative presentation was something to get excited about. They thrived on the passion of the creative people and the process. And they enjoyed our unorthodox presentation style � how it differed from their typical PowerPoint, bar graph blah seen in board rooms across the land.

Folks, never underestimate what you can bring to the table. It goes beyond the work.

normdzn
Feb 11, 2005, 06:39 PM

...maybe you're right... great points

Forum Links
Forum Rules