Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Startup Disk bug in 9.2?

Startup Disk bug in 9.2?
cuz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 03:30 PM

Has anyone experienced a bug in 9.2 that focuses on the Startup Disk? Everytime I click on Startup Disk, it quits on me because of a type 2 error that occurs. I've zapped the PRAM and ran the Disk Utility, but nothing happens.

Has this happened to anyone else?
-cuzin

Craig R. Arko
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2001, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by cuz:
<STRONG>Has anyone experienced a bug in 9.2 that focuses on the Startup Disk? Everytime I click on Startup Disk, it quits on me because of a type 2 error that occurs. I've zapped the PRAM and ran the Disk Utility, but nothing happens.

Has this happened to anyone else?
</STRONG>
Yes! Even with extensions off, this error happens 100% of the time. Zapped PRAM, trashed prefs, all I can think of. The only thing that works is booting from a 9.1 CD, and running Startup Disk off of that. I posted a message to the Apple boards and hope somebody comes up with something bright, otherwise a 9.1 clean install is in order.

B/W G3/350, 256 RAM, 10.0.4 on first partition, 9.2.1 on second. I wonder what our systems have in common?

OK I've done some more experiments and it's being caused by a SCSI hard disk mounting off an OrangeMicro Grappler card. If I unmount this drive Startup Disk works. Do you have a SCSI drive?

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Craig R. Arko ]

cuz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Craig R. Arko:
<STRONG>

Yes! Even with extensions off, this error happens 100% of the time. Zapped PRAM, trashed prefs, all I can think of. The only thing that works is booting from a 9.1 CD, and running Startup Disk off of that. I posted a message to the Apple boards and hope somebody comes up with something bright, otherwise a 9.1 clean install is in order.

B/W G3/350, 256 RAM, 10.0.4 on first partition, 9.2.1 on second. I wonder what our systems have in common?

OK I've done some more experiments and it's being caused by a SCSI hard disk mounting off an OrangeMicro Grappler card. If I unmount this drive Startup Disk works. Do you have a SCSI drive?

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Craig R. Arko ]</STRONG>
Actually, I DO have OS 9.2 on a SCSI HD, but I do have an IDE also on my computer (which is a B/W G3 with 320 MB RAM and a 300 MHz chip). Maybe I should just put OS 9.2 on the IDE? That might fix it.
-cuzin

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2001, 10:14 PM

I have an IDE drive and an IDE drive via a Sonnet Tempo card (which appears as SCSI to the Mac OS) but have had no problems.

cuz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
<STRONG>I have an IDE drive and an IDE drive via a Sonnet Tempo card (which appears as SCSI to the Mac OS) but have had no problems.</STRONG>
Which drive is 9.2 on? The regular one, or the one that's hooked to the Sonnet?
-cuzin

Craig R. Arko
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2001, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by cuz:
<STRONG>

Actually, I DO have OS 9.2 on a SCSI HD, but I do have an IDE also on my computer (which is a B/W G3 with 320 MB RAM and a 300 MHz chip). Maybe I should just put OS 9.2 on the IDE? That might fix it.</STRONG>
I've got 9.2.1 and 10.0.4 on partitions of the stock 6 GB IDE drive that shipped with the G3, and just went and did a low level reformat of the SCSI disk to see if the disk itself was causing the problem. It wasn't, so I'm fairly well convinced it's the boot firmware on the Orange Micro card. Maybe when they ship the OS X compliant firmware update it will help with this as well. I'm sending them a report on this, to be sure.

cuz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Craig R. Arko:
<STRONG>

I've got 9.2.1 and 10.0.4 on partitions of the stock 6 GB IDE drive that shipped with the G3, and just went and did a low level reformat of the SCSI disk to see if the disk itself was causing the problem. It wasn't, so I'm fairly well convinced it's the boot firmware on the Orange Micro card. Maybe when they ship the OS X compliant firmware update it will help with this as well. I'm sending them a report on this, to be sure.</STRONG>
I've got a 6.4 GB IDE with all my apps on it, an 8.5 GB SCSI running OS X, and a dual-partitioned 4.5 GB SCSI running OS 9 on one partition and the OS X swap file on the other. I may move 9 over to the IDE and see if it makes a difference.
-cuzin

Forum Links
Forum Rules