Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife 08 install screwed up my Dock

iLife 08 install screwed up my Dock
techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 08:05 AM

Just installed iLife 08 on my MacBook, which has been running flawlessly, no haxies, etc. When the installation finished I found that a large number of my Dock icons had changed to either generic, html page, Terminal or Interface Builder icons! (see pic below). The main victims were Adobe and Microsoft apps (conspiracy?), but the iChat icon changed to Terminal, and the iCal icon changed to Mail.app's icon.

Not the end of the world, but I just thought it kind of odd..and will submit a bug report.

MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 11, 2007, 09:17 AM

Awesome...bonus points for starting 2 threads on this subject.

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 09:24 AM

If you checked the other thread you would find that I admitted my mistake, I had typed iWork instead of iLife in the title, and asked for the duplicate thread to be deleted...bonus points for pointless sarcasm.
Lots of older Macs

freudling
Banned
Aug 11, 2007, 01:54 PM

And what an important thread at that. This is one of those, "If I just looked into this issue for another minute, I would be able to fix the problem, but I am too lazy so I will post two threads on MacNN".

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
And what an important thread at that. This is one of those, "If I just looked into this issue for another minute, I would be able to fix the problem, but I am too lazy so I will post two threads on MacNN".
So why didn't you offer any advice on how to fix the problem?

Definitely seems like odd behavior to me - I've never had an application install do that to my dock.

To the OP, did you try fixing permissions and/or to restart the computer?

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 04:11 PM

Mrjinglesusa, thanks for the decency in your post, it is appreciated. I did restart the computer, repaired permissions, etc. It was the first time that had ever happened, and thought it odd enough to post here to see if others had the same issue. As I mentioned this MacBook has no haxies installed and has been a solid machine.

After installing iLife I proceeded to install iWork 08, which didn't exhibit the same problem.

Of course it was an easy fix, I dragged all of the "wrong" icons off the Dock and replaced them. It was actually a good thing to do, it gave me a chance to clean house and eliminate a few apps that I really didn't need on the Dock.

To the others I did research the problem before posting, didn't find anything relevant, and thought I would share my experience on the forum here. The double post was a mistake, I did everything I could to apologize and correct it.

It saddens me that the normally civil nature of this forum ( I stay out of the Lounge) has gone down the tubes.
Lots of older Macs

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Seems important to me, and I sure wouldn't know how to "fix" the problem. His solution of dragging them off and putting them back on was a temporary fix, but clearly, something happened with the install, so somebody needs to know about this flaw.

freudling
Banned
Aug 11, 2007, 04:49 PM

This stuff happens all the time, on various machines.

Look in your logs (Console in utilities folder).

Also, and this has been repeated 1 billion times, when you install anything, you should repair permissions before and after doing so. Then do a restart.

If you have not done that, I don't have much sympathy for you.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 05:19 PM

You might not be interested in hearing that I don’t share your opinion that “this stuff happens all the time”, that I don’t repair my permissions before or after installing applications and never had such a problem and that I can’t think of a technical explanation, why wrong permissions during an installation could screw up the dock in this way. I also don’t reset my pram before or after installing anything or do any other mumbo jumbo. (The resetting pram tip really got neglected after repairing permissions was there.)

If restarting the Dock doesn’t help I would look if there was a Dock cache and clear it or just take fife minutes and re-add the faulty items.

-

techtrucker  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 06:00 PM

I repair permissions somewhat regularly, and in this case did so before and after install. I will admit to not doing it before and after every application install. I did restart the Dock and Finder as well as restarting the MacBook. I too thought about caches but wasn't sure which one would be appropriate for the Dock.

I looked through the logs and the only abnormal item is a message about kextcache crashing, which occured after restarting, not during installation. a look at kextcache.crash.log reveals a exc_bad_access message. But this has happened before, it shows up in the logs here and there, it could point to an underlying problem. I've had the machine for a year now, perhaps a clean install is in order. It does get heavy use. Actually, I'll probably wait for Leopard then clean the slate and start over.

Thanks for the input.
Lots of older Macs

Forum Links
Forum Rules