Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > So, is it okay for a black guy to beat the heck out of a white guy? (Jena, LA)

So, is it okay for a black guy to beat the heck out of a white guy? (Jena, LA)
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 09:59 AM

Thousands rally to support 'Jena 6' - CNN.com

I guess I don't really understand. Apparently, some black guys hospitalized a white guy. Now, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc are marching in the town because they were charged with a crime? No one seems to dispute the beating - they just talk repeatedly about "justice". I could understand wanting prosecution for the white kids that are reported to have hung nooses. As near as I can tell, they're not asking for that - they're asking for the black kids to be set free.

So, am I to understand that a white guy beating a black guy is a hate crime while a black guy beating a white guy is justice? I'm honestly asking here, because I'm confused. Why aren't we pushing for punishment for all, rather than absolution for the beating?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
So, am I to understand that a white guy beating a black guy is a hate crime while a black guy beating a white guy is justice?
This is correct, yes.

Pol lounge?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 10:03 AM

"This is a march for justice. This is not a march against whites or against Jena,"
I'm sorry that statement is BS. It is most def. a race thing.

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2007, 10:21 AM

From reading the article carefully -- something one must do with media in general, but CNN in particular -- it seems some may be set free because a court feels the juvenile system should have handled the incident, not the adult criminal justice system.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 10:30 AM

So, am I to understand that a white guy beating a black guy is a hate crime while a black guy beating a white guy is justice?

-t

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
From reading the article carefully -- something one must do with media in general, but CNN in particular -- it seems some may be set free because a court feels the juvenile system should have handled the incident, not the adult criminal justice system.
Thousands of people are marching because a 16 year old was tried as an adult for beating the living crap out of a 17 year old? People get tried as adults all the time. I don't see these marches all the time. I don't think that's the real issue.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 11:16 AM

I believe the DA trumped up the charges to attemtped murder... For a high school fight????

Robert Bailey, Bryant Purvis and an unidentified juvenile remain charged with attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
Yeah, I see why so many people are mad.

So try and read what the story is about.. Nice thread title, it shows you have a firm grasp of the story..

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 11:17 AM

I don't see how physical violence is an appropriate response to the white kids not letting the blacks sit by the cool kid tree. The whites should be punished and expelled if necessary because what they did deserves that to me, and the blacks that beat the kid up should get whatever the punishment for battery/assault is these days.
justice my ass, are people so blind to think this is anything but unfair treatment on both ends of the spectrum
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I don't see how physical violence is an appropriate response to the white kids not letting the blacks sit by the cool kid tree. The whites should be punished and expelled if necessary because what they did deserves that to me, and the blacks that beat the kid up should get whatever the punishment for battery/assault is these days.
justice my ass, are people so blind to think this is anything but unfair treatment on both ends of the spectrum
I agree, but that is not what is happening. Read the story... The DA is charging these dudes with ATTEMPTED MURDER

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
I believe the DA trumped up the charges to attemtped murder... For a high school fight????
Yeah, I see why so many people are mad.
So try and read what the story is about.. Nice thread title, it shows you have a firm grasp of the story..
The only court action today is related to another kid, who has already has his charges reduced from attempted murder. So, it appears the courts are being somewhat reasonable. The other kids will likely find themselves in the same position. I really don't think the marches today are about the fact that the other kids haven't been through the courts yet to have their charges changed. From the statements of the protesters, it sounds like they want them to be freed. No one is saying they want the charges lessened, they are saying they want them to be freed.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 11:32 AM

The only court action today is related to another kid, who has already has his charges reduced from attempted murder. So, it appears the courts are being somewhat reasonable. The other kids will likely find themselves in the same position. I really don't think the marches today are about the fact that the other kids haven't been through the courts yet to have their charges changed. From the statements of the protesters, it sounds like they want them to be freed. No one is saying they want the charges lessened, they are saying they want them to be freed.
I heard of this story a few months ago, and at the time, supporters of the "Jena 6" wanted the charges to be reduced to something more in line with assault/battery etc etc. There is also a question of whether all 6 participated in this beat down... If 6 kids were beating someone up, Id expect some serious injuries... As for the kid already in jail, I beleive he didnt post bail, and was incarcerated(sp) for the trial and since the conviction... How long should someone be in jail for fighting?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 11:40 AM

I agree, but that is not what is happening. Read the story... The DA is charging these dudes with ATTEMPTED MURDER
The problem here is that we don't have all the same details the police and DA do on the incident.

If the kids screamed "we're going to f*cking kill you!!" at the victim, and threatened him with more violence or threatened to bring weapons to school to hurt him, I'd say that's beyond assault and battery.

Not to mention that if six white kids had beat the sh*t out of a black kid, there would have been screams about hate crime and violent protests and celebrities donating money to "the brother's cause".

I'm more pissed off that effing Al Sharpton has turned this into a crusade for black rights. This is like reading articles about how black people saw OJ Simpson's aquittal for a murder he very obviously committed as a "victory for the black man". Screw that. I'm very much hoping OJ gets put in prison for this latest escapade - it would justice after too many years of a killer walking free.

I'd like to see one public case of a black person committing a crime that doesn't turn the perpetrator into a poster child for the NAACP.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 11:58 AM

The problem here is that we don't have all the same details the police and DA do on the incident.
I agree.

If the kids screamed "we're going to f*cking kill you!!" at the victim, and threatened him with more violence or threatened to bring weapons to school to hurt him, I'd say that's beyond assault and battery.
Even if they said that, it would take one of them bringing a tire iron or baseball bat to the scene (or a half hour of a beating) in order for me to think that attempted murder is warranted. The victim was sucker punched I believe and probably didnt make a good witness as to what happened or what was said to him. CNN did a special on this incident 3 months ago, so its been awhile since Ive seen it.

Not to mention that if six white kids had beat the sh*t out of a black kid, there would have been screams about hate crime and violent protests and celebrities donating money to "the brother's cause".
Give me a f-ckin break.

I'd like to see one public case of a black person committing a crime that doesn't turn the perpetrator into a poster child for the NAACP.
Just one? Michael Vick comes to mind.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 12:04 PM

How long should someone be in jail for fighting?
Six against one is not a fight, it's a beat down.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 12:07 PM

I agree that it's frustrating to see this turn into a black rights case. I really wish Sharpton and Jackson would stay out of this stuff. I feel they both do more harm than good. Preaching victimhood is never good for any cause.

Now, let me turn this around a little. I believe what this is mostly about is that if the tables were turned (white kids beating up a black guy) the outcome would have been different. As much as we don't like to admit it, the rules are different for blacks. I've spent the last few years getting a lesson in race relations as I'm now in a relationship with a black man (I'm white). I was really blind to racism until I experienced it firsthand. While we were still living in the States, I was amazed to see the subtle discrimination that goes on all the time. Frequently when we were in social situations people would defer to me, many times treating my partner as though he weren't even there. In restaurants, I was always presented with the wine list and bill. Obviously if a white man and a black man are dining together, the black man can't afford to pay the bill. I realize these are anecdotal incidents but it was a real eye opener for me.

If this were a bunch of white guys that beat up a black guy, you would hear all sorts of justification about how the white guys were threatened by the black guy and feared for their safety. It's very easy for people to see blacks as threatening. But turn the tables around ask yourself, how could a bunch of blacks feel threatened by a single white guy. Nah... could never happen.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 12:08 PM

Six against one is not a fight, it's a beat down.
True, bad choice of words. So how long of a jail sentence for a beatdown?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
If this were a bunch of white guys that beat up a black guy, you would hear all sorts of justification about how the white guys were threatened by the black guy and feared for their safety. It's very easy for people to see blacks as threatening. But turn the tables around ask yourself, how could a bunch of blacks feel threatened by a single white guy. Nah... could never happen.
I wasn't expecting that at all - your view on the situation is, IMO, extremely twisted. No group of six blokes of any colour would feel threatened by any one bloke of any colour. Period.

If six white kids had beaten a black kid, Al and Jesse would be going on about the white kids doing lynchings and stuff.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 01:01 PM

I agree that it's frustrating to see this turn into a black rights case. I really wish Sharpton and Jackson would stay out of this stuff. I feel they both do more harm than good. Preaching victimhood is never good for any cause.

Now, let me turn this around a little. I believe what this is mostly about is that if the tables were turned (white kids beating up a black guy) the outcome would have been different. As much as we don't like to admit it, the rules are different for blacks. I've spent the last few years getting a lesson in race relations as I'm now in a relationship with a black man (I'm white). I was really blind to racism until I experienced it firsthand. While we were still living in the States, I was amazed to see the subtle discrimination that goes on all the time. Frequently when we were in social situations people would defer to me, many times treating my partner as though he weren't even there. In restaurants, I was always presented with the wine list and bill. Obviously if a white man and a black man are dining together, the black man can't afford to pay the bill. I realize these are anecdotal incidents but it was a real eye opener for me.

Racism is still alive and well.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 01:04 PM

If this were a bunch of white guys that beat up a black guy,
It would be a hate crime, and the prison sentence would be quite long.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 01:07 PM

True, bad choice of words. So how long of a jail sentence for a beatdown?
Did the beat down occur because of race? If so, then that's a hate crime. Or, is there a double standard?

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 01:20 PM

I don't need a story to let me know how racist Al and Jesse are. Reverse racism is alive and well, and these two are at the forefront of it.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Racism is still alive and well.
And we're all part of the problem.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...takeatest.html
Take the Race IAT.

Read this book

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 01:44 PM

If this were a bunch of white guys that beat up a black guy, you would hear all sorts of justification about how the white guys were threatened by the black guy and feared for their safety. It's very easy for people to see blacks as threatening.
Justification from who? I don't think many people would defend that.

But turn the tables around ask yourself, how could a bunch of blacks feel threatened by a single white guy. Nah... could never happen.
Seems to me this argument goes against the nooses being hung from a tree being a mitigating factor then.

Anyway, this almost seems to me a case of just desserts- a bunch of stupid white teens thought it was cool to have their "noose tree" and try to intimidate blacks with it- one of them gets the living crap beat out of him, but: "The white teen who was beaten, Justin Barker, was knocked unconscious, his face badly swollen and bloodied, but he was able to attend a school function later that night."

Seems like "attempted murder" in that case is just ludicrous, and wreaks of an attempt to turn the tables and apply a hate crime label to blacks attacking whites and trump up the charges, regardless of the facts of the case.

This seems a classic example where the whole concept of "hate crimes" is stupid in the first place. It sounds more like a bunch of teenagers being really stupid in taunting each other, and then one getting beat up as a result- something which should really be handled for what it is, not turned into a nationwide media circus, and certainly not a platform for phony Civil Rights charlatans like Sharpton, et al.

Meanwhile, we get cases like the Long Beach Halloween "hate crime" where three white women were beaten severely by a gang of 20-30 blacks- only 10 were charged with anything, and all got slaps on the wrist. The whole concept of "hate crime" is proven phony when in cases where it could truly apply, it isn't, due to a reverse of the races involved. That sort of injustice will only lend itself to more injustices occurring elsewhere by people who think they're "balancing" the previous injustice. The whole flawed concept of race based "hate crimes" should be discarded, and cases taken for what they are on an individual basis, as much as is humanly possible.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 02:14 PM

that is the unfair treatment I am talking about and how it goes both ways.
the whites should have been punished for what they did
the blacks should only be on trial for battery/assault instead of attempted murder
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 02:25 PM

Yes, the bottom line is this: if 6 white kids beat up a black kid, it would be a HAT3 CRYM3 and all 6 white kids would be punished to the maximum extent to the joy and urging of racist pigs like Jackson and Sharpton. The whities' blood couldn't flow enough for there ilk.

HOWEVER, 6 black kids beat up a white kid, get mailed for it, and now The Blacks are marching to support the dirtbag kids that beat up the white kid (who is a dirtbag himself).

Anyone that thinks there's not a double standard in treatment is a complete idiot and moron. Yes, ALL of the kids are at fault for being idiots, but only in AMERICA in 2007 does disproportionate crap like this happen.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
but only in AMERICA in 2007 does disproportionate crap like this happen.
Not quite.

America 2006 did the same.
And America 2005.
And 2004. Ah, 2003 as well. 2002, too, dang it. And 2001...

-t

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 02:44 PM

Did the beat down occur because of race? If so, then that's a hate crime. Or, is there a double standard?
The idea of a 'hate crime' is a double standard already.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Not quite.

America 2006 did the same.
And America 2005.
And 2004. Ah, 2003 as well. 2002, too, dang it. And 2001...

-t
You're exactly right -- and that's my point: "equality" is a farce with such racists and bigots opening their pie holes.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 03:44 PM

Well, I took this "civil rights" march to be more about the fact that there was a lack of prosecution over previous acts on violence on blacks and the school board's inaction. Which I think there is some truth to and it should be addressed by an outside investigation.

However, the prosecution of these six black kids is not unwarranted. Maybe they were treated more heavy handily but the charges of attempted murder and conspiracy are separate things from the events that happened prior to that beating. This isn't an opinion its how crimes are judged on their own merit. The rest is legally relevant only in the consideration of what the appropriate punishment or repercussions should be. If white suspect were not prosecuted properly in the past it really had no bearing on the guilt or innocence of these Jena six suspects.

The climate which lead up to the crime of beating the white teen can be taken into consideration... during sentencing. They certainly don't get to get off just because others were. At the most they deserve a change of venue for their trial so that they are not forced to have a jury from that county.

Lastly, I don't even want to get into the fact that black people aren't ever charged under hate crime statues. I've seen at least 3 instances here in Chicago where a group of blacks specifically went after white and hispanic youths in so small part because of racial issues and the city balked at filing hate crime charges because they didn't want to rile up the black community. Hate crime laws have always been a bunch of ****.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 05:25 PM

I stole this from some comments under a newspaper article...
The case on trial follows two other events:
1) a white teen beat up some black teens who tried to go to a white party and got off with probation and a charge of battery;
2) a white guy pulled a gun on three black teens...the teens wrestled the gun away from him and were charged with "gun theft"...the white guy wasn't charged. See here: Apart from the noose, this is an everyday story of modern America | Columnists | Guardian Unlimited
and here:
YouTube - The Jena Six
In an unsolved arson case a wing of the school was burned down. A few days later, Justin Sloan, a white man, attacked black students who tried to go to a white party in town. Sloan was charged with battery and put on probation. A few days after that another white boy pulled a gun on three black students in a convenience store. The black student wrestled the gun from him and took it home. The black student was charged with theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery and disturbing the peace. The white student who produced the gun was not charged.

On December 4 a group of black students attacked a white student, Justin Barker, after they heard him bragging about a racial assault his friend had made. Barker, 17, had concussion and his eye was swollen shut. He spent a few hours in hospital and, on his release, went to a party where friends described him as "his usual smiling self".
Could someone tell me how the hell is this even remotely considered attempted murder???

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I've seen at least 3 instances here in Chicago where a group of blacks specifically went after white and hispanic youths in so small part because of racial issues and the city balked at filing hate crime charges because they didn't want to rile up the black community.

How did that conversation go down?

Also... I know this is bad form but I can't resist... Do you know what went down with the Michael Jackson case? Seems like he didn't get very much. For everyone else: not pop star MJ, someone else.
( Last edited by subego; Sep 20, 2007 at 06:18 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 06:46 PM

Unfortunately, it seems that the fundamental issue hasn't been addressed much in this thread (though Captain Obvious did touch upon it). Which is typically the case when topics of race are involved. This is not an issue of "some black guys hospitalized a white guy. Now, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc are marching in the town because they were charged with a crime?". This is not an issue of hate crime legislation. This is an issue about disparate treatment by the justice system based on race.

So you start with a small town in the Deep South and the centuries of slavery, Jim Crow, KKK, and racism both blatant and subtle that comes along with that. You then have 3 white students hang nooses on the "white tree" after a black freshmen student and his friends dared to sit under it, and the white power structure of the town protected them. The principal recommended immediate expulsion but was overruled by the school board and the superintendent who said ....

Adolescents play pranks. I don't think it was a threat against anybody.
Nooses hanging from the "white tree" the day after some black kids crossed the unofficial color line ... in the Deep South ... land of the KKK .... but it's just a prank. Right.

White kids end up with a 3 day in-school suspension. This leads to increased racial tension and numerous interracial fights. Eventually the police department asks the local DA to speak at a school assembly .... where the students had segregated themselves into white and black sections because of all the drama .... and is reported to have said ...

See this pen? I can end your lives with the stroke of a pen.

All while looking directly at the section with the black students. Apparently he was perturbed by all the fuss over an "innocent prank". Police start patrolling the school hallways soon thereafter. Several dozen black students attempt to address school board about recent events but are denied because the board felt that the "noose incident" had been adequately addressed. So the racial drama continues throughout the fall. The school gets burned down ... and black students and white students point the finger at each other. A fight breaks out between a group of blacks and whites at a party .... initiated by a white male who reportedly broke a beer bottle over a black student's head .... the result of which was the white male was put on probation.

The next day a white student confronts on of the black students who was involved in the fight at the party. An argument unfolds and the white student goes to his pickup and gets a shotgun and comes back brandishing it. The black student and some of his friends manage to beat the white students ass and take the shotgun. The black student refused to give it back took it home. Local police charged the black student with theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery, and disturbing the peace. The white student was not charged at all.

Later on a white student gets to bragging about how a white man beat up a black student on the previous Friday. The same black student who took the shotgun that was brandished at him by another white student. White student then catches a beatdown and is hospitalized, allegedly by this black student and 5 others. He's released later that day and attends a school function that evening. Result? The local DA ... the one who threatened that he could "end your lives with the stroke of a pen" ... charged the 6 black students with attempted second-degree murder.

So throughout months of racial tension and fighting, the white kids get "in-school suspension", "probation", or no charges at all .... and the black kids get a "theft of a firearm, second-degree robbery, and disturbing the peace" charges along with a "second degree murder" charge that could imprison them for 20+ years.

And some wonder why there are thousands of people in Jena protesting.

OAW

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 06:58 PM

So the correct solution to lax treatment of whites is to let everyone get away with whatever they want?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So the correct solution to lax treatment of whites is to let everyone get away with whatever they want?
No, it is to go back and properly punish those white kids for the crimes they committed (like brandishing a firearm) just like the black kids are being punished now for the the crimes they committed (assaulting a white student).

A whole bunch of students here, both black and white, committed acts of a criminal nature. But so far, only the black students have been charged with a crime. Let all the kids be treated "equally before the law". So, the town should go ahead and continue to prosecute those black kids for their crimes but also make plans to charge and prosecute the white kids for their various crimes.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Sep 20, 2007 at 07:18 PM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 04:30 AM

Sorry OAW but this doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
The next day a white student confronts on of the black students who was involved in the fight at the party. An argument unfolds and the white student goes to his pickup and gets a shotgun and comes back brandishing it. The black student and some of his friends manage to beat the white students ass and take the shotgun.
We know that the black guy has his friends with him and the white guy is alone. Given the tensions in the place, I can't see the white guy going up to the black guys to confront them.

(And I can't see it if the races were reversed either. Or if there were no races involved and it was Stoke City FC fan(s) vs Port Vale FC fan(s).)

Possible that you received a slightly biased version of events?

(BTW, I'm not defending the white guy. I wasn't there so don't know what went down and believe that the whole county should be charged with first degree idiocy. But what you wrote there doesn't add up.)

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 21, 2007, 05:58 AM

Yeah either that or the white guy didn't know how to use a gun to defend himself.

That is why if you own a gun, taking classes is usually a must.

Some people think that them JUST OWNING and having a gun gives them an advantage.

This simply isn't true. Like anything, you have to LEARN to use devices properly.
( Last edited by Kevin; Sep 21, 2007 at 08:18 AM. )

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 07:19 AM

Those kids should have been expelled for the noose incident. That would have sent a message through the school that this sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable.

It might have saved a whole load of trouble.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Graviton View Post
Those kids should have been expelled for the noose incident. That would have sent a message through the school that this sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable.
The march and protest should have occurred then, not now. Doing it now makes it look like you just want the black kids out of jail and makes it look like race is the major factor in why you're there.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Sorry OAW but this doesn't make sense.

We know that the black guy has his friends with him and the white guy is alone. Given the tensions in the place, I can't see the white guy going up to the black guys to confront them.

(And I can't see it if the races were reversed either. Or if there were no races involved and it was Stoke City FC fan(s) vs Port Vale FC fan(s).)

Possible that you received a slightly biased version of events?

(BTW, I'm not defending the white guy. I wasn't there so don't know what went down and believe that the whole county should be charged with first degree idiocy. But what you wrote there doesn't add up.)
Well you would be surprised at the level of arrogance that can ensue among some white males in the Deep South in a 90% white town when they are protected by the white power structure. But having said that, there are conflicting stories about how the argument got started. He claims they chased him and then he got the gun. They claim they argued in the store, and then he left and confronted them with the gun right when they were coming out of the store. What is not disputed is that there was an argument and that the white student brandished the weapon at the black students and it was taken away from him. But regardless, how are you gonna charge somebody with theft of a firearm and second-degree robbery because they didn't give a shotgun back to the person that just threatened them with it? I mean ... come on! And furthermore, if the white student was involved in the argument ... and if the white student brandished the gun at the black student ... both facts that are not in dispute then why didn't he face a disturbing the peace charge (you know that BS the cops charge you with when they have nothing else on you) just like the black students? So again, the issue isn't who started it or all of that "he said-she said" foolishness. The issue is how did the justice system handle the incident? And the answer is the black students get hemmed up in the system and the white student walks scot-free. As AMEX says, "Membership has its privileges". And white-skin privilege in the Deep South clearly has its advantages..

But in the end, there are some .... and I'm not directing this at anyone in particular but just saying in general .... white people who will simply defend the indefensible. They will deny racism even when it is staring them right in the face. And get so caught up in the trees that they claim that the forest doesn't even exist. I often joke that there are some white people who will swear on a stack of Bibles that a white person burning a cross in a black family's yard isn't racism, it's just a simple case of arson or vandalism. But even though I say that in jest there is a lot of truth behind it. As evidenced by the school board and superintendent in Jena blowing off the noose incident as an "innocent prank". Fortunately, most white people these days seem to have more sense than that.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 21, 2007 at 11:59 AM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 11:56 AM

The march and protest should have occurred then, not now. Doing it now makes it look like you just want the black kids out of jail and makes it look like race is the major factor in why you're there.
There simply aren't enough days in the year to organize a huge protest every time black people encounter foolishness like that. Seriously. And what's wrong with wanting the black students out of jail? None of the white students are facing jail time for doing the same thing. Remember? The bottom line is that high school students shouldn't be facing jail time for a friggin' school yard fight. Black or white. These kids are facing time as if they beat this guy's ass to within an inch of his life. And that is clearly not the case. Misdemeanor assault charges at the most ... like just about anyone else in a similar situation. Except for the white students in Jena that is.

OAW

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 12:13 PM

Well you would be surprised at the level of arrogance that can ensue among some white males in the Deep South in a 90% white town when they are protected by the white power structure.
This is true. I don't "get" racism at all.

So again, the issue isn't who started it or all of that "he said-she said" foolishness. The issue is how did the justice system handle the incident? And the answer is the black students get hemmed up in the system and the white student walks scot-free.
I agree with you there. I'd have had the whole lot in a chain gang. All of them.

Def_ears
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 12:30 PM

To me, the term "reverse racism" implies that only whites can be racist. If a black person is racist, it is "reverse racism"? No it is racism. Here is a good article explaining the situation, and yes David Bowie has donated $10,000 to the defense fund of the black youth who already has 4 prior assault and battery charges.
More importantly, Whites are increasingly victims of Black racial violence and hate crimes. In fact, a White person is 40 to 50 times more likely to be a victim of Black gang violence than a Black is likely to be a victim of White gang violence.

Not only is there almost no media coverage of the Black violent hate crimes against Whites, but in high profile cases when Blacks are prosecuted for heinous crimes against innocent Whites, the White victims are ignored and the Black criminals are turned into “real victims” by the media.

Nothing more clearly illustrates this point than what has occurred over the past year in Jena, Louisiana and the orgy of hatred that Jena has suffered. today, September 20, the town has been invaded by thousands of thugs like Al Sharpton who seek to make violent Black hate criminals such as Michael Bell and the rest of the so-called “Jena Six” into heroes. Even worse the entire White population of the town is facing a media lynching by being labeled racists who are unjustly persecuting Black young men.

Michael Bell, who has been convicted of four previous violent crimes, (a fact scarcely revealed by the media), led a group of six Black students to attack and unmercifully beat a White Student at Jena High School in what can only be described as a vicious hate crime. Motivated by racial hatred, the six Blacks attacked one lone White student, Justin Barker. They stomped and kicked him to unconsciousness and continued to kick him and stomp him as he lay helpless. The attack could have easily have taken his life if others had not intervened. Only by the grace of God did he survive.

To show the insane bias of this whole case, just imagine if the facts were reversed.

If a gang of six Whites motivated by racial hatred and led by a White with four previous violent-crime convictions had attacked a lone Black student, kicking and stomping him into unconsciousness, would there any concern that the leader and the other White gang members could be charged with aggravated assault? Would not there be national demands to charge the White attackers with the most serious of federal civil rights violations and hate crimes? White leaders from all over the country, even the leaders of the local town of Jena, would not be defending the White attackers, they would be condemning the attacks and calling for the harshest of punishments allowed by the law.

As far as the Media are concerned, oh yes the supposedly unbiased media, they would be interviewing the Black victim on every TV talk show across the land, discussing his fear, his pain, his suffering. They would be interviewing his crying relatives and friends. They would not be voicing any fear that the White attackers would be treated too harshly. No, they would be demanding the harshest of penalties.

Federal officials from the President on down would be calling for additional serious charges of federal civil rights violations. But you see, in the America of 2007 Whites are no longer deemed to have any “civil rights.”

When a lone White kid is beaten savagely by a gang of six hate criminals, the media is only concerned about how the Black attackers are being treated too harshly. And if you are waiting for civil rights charges to be filed against the Black attackers who violated the civil rights of the boy they almost beat to death, don’t hold your breath.

The entire Jena scenario and the coverage of it by the media show once again that it is not the people of Jena who are racists. By voting for me and by demanding justice in this case, they have shown rightly that they believe in fairness to all and that White people are now the real victims of racism in America. Once again it is shown that we must have advocates for our rights and heritage just as any other group is permitted to do so.

May the District Attorney and the people of Jena stay strong and never give in to those who seek take away their rights of life and liberty as guaranteed by the United States Constitution.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Def_ears View Post
Only by the grace of God did he survive.

And attended a party a few hours later and fun was had by all. By the grace of God? He wasnt in a plane crash, he got sucker punched and knocked out, and kicked a little afterward.

So do you agree that the white students involved with beating up black students deserve being charged with attempted murder?

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 02:11 PM

There simply aren't enough days in the year to organize a huge protest every time black people encounter foolishness like that. Seriously. And what's wrong with wanting the black students out of jail? None of the white students are facing jail time for doing the same thing. Remember?
Yeah, that's the problem - the white kids need jail time, too. That's completely different from setting the black kids free.

The bottom line is that high school students shouldn't be facing jail time for a friggin' school yard fight. Black or white. These kids are facing time as if they beat this guy's ass to within an inch of his life. And that is clearly not the case.
Six on one and the one ends up unconscious and in the hospital? That's not a "school yard fight". The whole lot of them belong in jail - black and white. The noose crap should get some serious time - that's not remotely tolerable.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 03:17 PM

A crime is a crime, is a crime.
If it's easier for them, they should just paint all blokes blue or in some other "race-neutral" colour and then apply justified sentences on each of them based on what they have done individually or as a group. If it's a racist/hatred crime, same rule applies, even if they're green.

Def_ears
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2007, 06:13 PM

And attended a party a few hours later and fun was had by all. By the grace of God? He wasnt in a plane crash, he got sucker punched and knocked out, and kicked a little afterward.

So do you agree that the white students involved with beating up black students deserve being charged with attempted murder?
Myth: Black student asked principal if he could sit under 'White' tree

Truth: Black student JOCULARLY (jokingly) asked the principal if he could sit under the tree (the word white was not mentioned)

Myth: Nooses were hung in response to black students sitting under tree

Truth: Nooses were hung because of pep rally for an upcoming game against the cowboys along with signs saying 'hang'em high', 'Hang dem cowboys' and the like. Also BOTH blacks and whites were putting thier heads through the nooses in a joking manner

Myth: the DA was stictly refering to the blacks with his 'I could end your lifes with a stroke of a pen' statement

Truth: he was addressing EVERYONE who was cutting up, and being immature (he was rather irritated no one was listening to him/taking him seriously) ; whites and blacks

Myth: a white guy beat up a black guy for trying to enter his all-white party

Truth: There were white and blacks at this INVITATION ONLY party; the one trying to enter where there trying to cause trouble.

Myth: A white man pulled a shotgun on a group of blacks, just because of thier color

Truth: The white man feared for his life being approuched by 3 black students trying to start a fight. So he ran to his truck because he was outnumbered

Myth: The white boy (Justin Baker) said something racial to deserve the beating he got

Truth: Justin was standing up for some of his friends, who were being harassed by the Jena Six

Myth: Justin was well enough to attend a social function (most interpet this as a party)

Truth: Justin attended a RING ceremony, something he's been waiting YEARS for. He was in excruciating pain, and left right after he got his ring.

Myth: The Jena six were 'Good ole boys'.. they were All-Star athletes.. etc..

Truth: while they were All Star athletes, yes..BUT most had prior convictions. Mychal Bell had 4 prior convictions AND was on probation at the time he helped beat up Justin Baker.

Myth: there was a racist ALL white jury

Truth: The jury was all white because the blacks that got a jury summons DIDN'T appear for jury duty..

THIS IS COMPILED FROM SOURCES LIVING IN JENA

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2007, 07:20 PM

A whole lotta straw men in this thread

So...Uhhh ok, so how was this kid saved from death by the grace of God?

Explain how this incident was attempted murder?

I admit to not having all of the details, but I have seen a fight similar to this while in high school, involving shanks and someone getting stabbed, and no one was charged with attempted murder...

Def_ears
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 02:29 AM

A whole lotta straw men in this thread

So...Uhhh ok, so how was this kid saved from death by the grace of God?

Explain how this incident was attempted murder?

I admit to not having all of the details, but I have seen a fight similar to this while in high school, involving shanks and someone getting stabbed, and no one was charged with attempted murder...
He was on the ground unconsience, and the 6 black kids continued kicking him in the head according to eyewitnesses. They would have killed him if they were not STOPPED. They had to be stopped. 6 on 1? You call that a fight?

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2007, 01:30 PM

6 on 1 is a beatdown. You can guess and assume all you want, but the fact is that they did stop, and the victim wasnt at all close to being killed. You are overstating how much his life was in danger.
Look, Im not saying these kids are saints, I only have a problem with all six of them being charged with attempted murder. I also think the kid who threw the first punch should get the most time.

I also dont think a kids life should be ruined because of this one incident. If the victim is fully recovered, then some of the 6 should be given a second chance at life...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2007, 03:07 PM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules