Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office for Mac issue

Office for Mac issue
Matius
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2007, 04:12 PM

Okay, I recently bought my wife a new iMac. I tried to install Office for Mac 2004 but forgot to first get rid of the Test Drive version so the install didn't work right. When I realized the error I removed the faulty install, then tried to go through the uninstall process on the test drive version but it wouldn't completely remove it. So I went ahead and deleted any Microsoft Office program files I could find. No sign of the test drive, but now I still can't install the full version and make it work. What did I do and how do I fix it?
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Cold Warrior
Sep 22, 2007, 04:15 PM

Did you trash the Office items in ~/Library/Preferences?

Matius  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2007, 04:29 PM

In Library>Preferences there are three files with Microsoft in the name. They are
com.microsoft.autoupdate.plist
com.microsoft.OfficeNotifications.plist
com.microsoft.setupassistant.plist

Do these need to go as well or did I get rid of something I shouldn't have?
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Cold Warrior
Sep 22, 2007, 04:32 PM

Look for the Microsoft folder inside the Preferences folder. Mine has a number of .plist (preference) files in there.

Matius  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2007, 04:35 PM

Microsoft preferences folder is gone.

Def_ears
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 04:48 PM

That's odd, because when I install mine right after an OS x install, it asks if I would like it to remove the trial version before I start installing.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 04:55 PM

Have you tried just using the NORMAL install method?

Just drag the Microsoft Office 2004 folder from the CD into your Applications folder.

Anything that might still be necessary is automatically installed when any of the Office applications is launched for the first time.

Matius  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2007, 04:56 PM

That would have been handy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules