Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone know how to get Tiger Address Book data into Leopard Address Book?

Anyone know how to get Tiger Address Book data into Leopard Address Book?
LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2007, 12:16 AM

I figured this would be a simple drag/drop or import affair (as has always worked for me in the past), but apparently not with Leopard. I backed up my drive with Super Duper and did a clean install of Leopard. I don't want to use Migration Assistant. Does anyone know how I can get my old Address Book data from the backup drive into the new Address Book app?

Thanks in advance.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 04:27 AM

What I did, was went into user>library>app support and copied the address book folder over into leopard. you have to open the folder and copy the contents. but worked for me

LagunaSol  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2007, 09:43 AM

Hmm, that's exactly what I tried but it didn't work for me.

The file types for the new app aren't even the same as they were in Tiger.

RiotMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 10:03 AM

I deleted the AddressBook folder in my user->Library->Application Support in 10.5 and then copied the old one from 10.4. I also copied over the Address Book preference file located in my user->Library->Preferences. It is com.apple.AddressBook.plist.

LagunaSol  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2007, 10:22 AM

Perfect, that worked RiotMac. Thanks!

I guess my problem is I was trying to add files from the app support directory to the existing files rather than replacing the entire directory.

nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 04:31 PM

did you know you can just export the group vcard and reload it into the new address book in leopard , no need to copy anything, or backup your database from tiger's address book and reload it into leopard's address book, can't be any simpler...

LagunaSol  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2007, 04:38 PM

Yeah, the problem is I had already wiped Tiger. Had all my backup data, but no way to boot back into Tiger to export from the Tiger apps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules