Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Adobe Classroom in a Book

Adobe Classroom in a Book
ncmason
Nov 22, 2007, 10:42 AM

I've been hearing mixed stories about the Adobe Classroom in a Book series. Some hate it, some like it. I'd like to get some detailed tutorials on a few of the Adobe apps to help me master the CS3 suite. Would online tutorials be a better solution than books? Or are the other books out there that are better than the Adobe Classroom in a Book series?

Thanks,
Mason

Def_ears
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 12:02 PM

They're great if you have never used cs before. But I think that for those who are at an intermediate level, those books aren't that great.

ncmason
Nov 22, 2007, 12:11 PM

What would you recommend in order to truly master CS3?

Thanks,
Mason

Def_ears
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 12:18 PM

The WOW books are pretty good, but what are you trying to master exactly? I was interested in getting good with gradient meshes in ai, and none of the books give a whole lot of insight to that. But I found some really sweet online tutorials.

ncmason
Nov 22, 2007, 12:22 PM

I know how to use some of the CS3 Premium apps decently. I'd like to know all of the how-to's and things that will make using them easier. I am familiar with how to use the tools, but I'd like to get as much knowledge on how to use each app (just Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver; I don't need to know how to use Flash or InDesign at the moment) to its full potential. Hope this helps. I agree, there are lots of online tutorials, but I'd rather get the whole thing, rather than bits-and-pieces of how-to's. Do you think that the "Missing Manual" books would be something to buy?

Thanks,
Mason
( Last edited by ncmason; Nov 22, 2007 at 12:35 PM. )

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2007, 04:49 PM

Check out amazon.com's reviews.

Go to a book store and look at the books yourself. I don't like the classroom in a book series. First of all, for books, that introduce graphics programs, the graphics are poor. Just plain black and white, poor design.

I wasn't impressed by their way of organizing the matter, either.

Same goes for the wordy MIssing Manual series. A lot of blabla, and not getting to the point. Awful design.

Before you master an app, you've got to learn the basics. No book will teach you how to master an app. It can show you the buttons, and tell you how to nudge and noodle them, but to get "masterful" results, you need to have an idea on what to do. First you see the image before your inner eye, then you try to create it for real in the app. Once you can do that, you have mastered the app.

I know the OP already knows the tools (then the classroom in a book wouldn't possibly be for you, anyway,as they aren't targeting the master level), but, generally speaking.

Good intro into Photoshop CS3 is Photoshop one-on-one. This is really getting in at the ground floor. Generally, the books from lynda.com are well done. At lynda.com you can also find video tutorials.

Another good book on Photoshop is Martin Evening's "Photoshop CS3 for digital photographers".

Check out "Real World Photoshop CS3" - when it is out. Not yet.

ncmason
Nov 22, 2007, 05:28 PM

Thanks. I think for now, I'll just stick with "googling" for tutorials. The web has some nice tutorials about anything these days. I'm not sure I've got the patience to figure out which books are for me.

Thanks again,
Mason

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ncmason View Post
Thanks. I think for now, I'll just stick with "googling" for tutorials. The web has some nice tutorials about anything these days. I'm not sure I've got the patience to figure out which books are for me.

Thanks again,
Mason
Not recommended.

Photoshop is a really big application, and it has its own logic of naming and arranging.

You want to have a well structured overview first, not the fractional approach of tutorials.

You just spent over 600$ on software.

Why save 35$ on a book?

By the way: most Photoshop users have a whole library of books about Photoshop, not just one.

It is your decision, but these are the facts. Your main investment in Photoshop will not be the money for the purchase of the software and the books, but the time and energy to learn it and to get really good at it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2007, 02:59 PM

By the way: most Photoshop users have a whole library of books about Photoshop, not just one.
I’m pretty sure that most Photoshop users have downloaded cracked versions of Photoshop and don’t have a single book on how to use it

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I’m pretty sure that most Photoshop users have downloaded cracked versions of Photoshop and don’t have a single book on how to use it
Well, I was talking about the more serious ones.

But I give you that, those who don't want to pay for their software, usually also don't have the stamina to learn how to use it well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules