Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sending mails from another account via Mail

Sending mails from another account via Mail
GoofyFBI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2001, 12:07 PM

Hi you all (aka great people) !

Is there anyone out there who knows how I can set my OS X box to send mails (with Apple Mail application) using a different smtp server from the provider setting I am currently using for surfing the Net ?

Ex: I'm connected to the Internet via a provider named "Freesbee" (from France !) and I want to send mails using settings from "Free" (another French provider). And I can't manage this situation... I have set my preferred mail settings (with smtp.free.fr value for SMTP server) in my Internet preferences, plus 2 mail accounts featuring each provider settings in Apple Mail (with only smtp.free.fr for each account.)

That way, I always get an alert saying that Mail couldn't send my messages to the recipients. I did this under Mac OS 9.x, and I'd want to do the same under OS X... In a word, sending mail with another smtp server than the provider I'm using for surfing.

Thanks for any idea,

petej
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 12:24 PM

You can specify a different SMTP server for each mail account you set up in Mail.app. Also, you can have two mail accounts that point to the same mailbox server, although I would not recommend this if you are using POP to access the mailbox -- use IMAP if you're going to try this.

The account used to send the message defaults to the one for the mailbox currently being displayed; if you want to use another, there's a pulldown menu in the "From:" field of the message you're composing.

GoofyFBI  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2001, 12:33 PM

As always, thanks for any answer !

Now, my reply...

You can specify a different SMTP server for each mail account you set up in Mail.app
I know, but I don't want to use the SMTP server from "Freesbee". The reason is that I don't want to let recipients see another email address than my main personal one (which is "[email protected]".)

use IMAP if you're going to try this.
I thought the mail server should be IMAP-compliant to do so (and Free is not.)

The account used to send the message defaults to the one for the mailbox currently being displayed
Yep, I saw this too. And that's exactly what I want: be able to still use my "Free" account from this pulldown menu, while I'm currently connected on my "Freesbee" account...
And this seems not to be feasable for me (and I knew other colleagues who just failed and gave up...)

In my mind, I've just have to select from this menu the account Mail will use to send the mail, but this fails. And I can't just use the "Freesbee" account from this pulldown menu - else recipients will see my other email address, etc.

I might be wrong. So feel free to give me details if you can !
I really do appreciate any effort to solve this issue, 'cause I tend to think this is a "bug"...

Thanks again,

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2001, 12:54 PM

It may be impossible on account of an issue that Apple is claiming to be "due to your provider's configuration." In other words, I personally CANNOT send email with Mail.app via my yahoo! account. Oddly, I can "receive" them just fine. Hence, I switched to my mac.mail account for everything. Funny how that worked out

GoofyFBI  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2001, 01:27 PM

I switched to my mac.mail account for everything. Funny how that worked out
OK, I got the message !
I now remember that everything's just fine when I used Communicator under OS 9. I realized it never worked UNDER Apple Mail...
So, yep, I may switch to my mac.com address, or just to Netscape 6.x product...
Bouoououohhououohhououu, I already miss Apple Mail...

And, for the last time, thanks everyone for great & ultrafast support!
Have a nice end of year with family, friends, and FUN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2001, 03:21 PM

I do this all the time in Apple Mail, no problem whatsoever.

possible issues:

1. providers require you to authenticate before using their SMTP server. Usually, this means you must check your account just before you try to send mail. Some do, some don't.

2. providers will only accept mail to their SMTP server that has a return address from their server, e.g. mail.gmx.de will only accept mail that has a gmx.de address entered in the "from" field. Some do, some don't.

-chris.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Spheric Harlot ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules