Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New .Mac look and "graphite" theme per AI = death of brushed metal?

New .Mac look and "graphite" theme per AI = death of brushed metal?
cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2004, 05:38 PM

Ok - so at some point this afternoon, the .Mac web page switched from brushed metal to aqua (along the toolbar at the top). Added to this we know there's a new theme that combines elements of Aqua and Brushed Metal in the latest Tiger builds (go see pictures at Apple Insider).

So is Apple finally owning up to the inconsistencies in their interfaces, and going for a singular replacement look?

(I, for one, would welcome an all-graphite look)
cpac

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 06:15 PM

Indeed you are right, the .Mac pages have changed. They look a lot better now IMO. Whether this is an indication that brushed metal is on its way out the door remains to be seen.

OAW

Chris Grande
Senior User
Oct 5, 2004, 06:24 PM

Now they just have to update the Web mail interface... heres hoping.

The metal UI is still on some of the internal pages.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 06:32 PM

Eeeeeeeeeeenteresting.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 07:01 PM

In Classic, it was possible to relocate/move a window by grabbing by its frame.

While in OS X, the windows have no frames, but it is possible to drag a window by clicking/holding on any piece of the brushed aluminum, even the �pane� divider in iTunes. And sometimes this was quite convenient (IMNHO).

I wonder what the new theme has in store.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2004, 07:20 PM

In 10.4 they're adding a platinum look though...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Seems so. But you know Apple does its interface -- in dribs and drabs, bit by bit.

One might almost get the idea that brushed metal is ever-so-slowly on its way out.

Curious, btw, that three tabs in a row in Apple.com use blue -- iPod + iTunes, .Mac, and QuickTime. The whole Apple site is just itching for refresh anyway.

NSUser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by pendragon:
In Classic, it was possible to relocate/move a window by grabbing by its frame.

While in OS X, the windows have no frames, but it is possible to drag a window by clicking/holding on any piece of the brushed aluminum, even the �pane� divider in iTunes. And sometimes this was quite convenient (IMNHO).
Definitely agree here -- I've never been able to decide whether I like or dislike the brushed metal theme, but the ability to grab any "metal" part of a window in order to move it is something I got used to very quickly. Hope that becomes a more general feature of anything new that's on its way.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 09:42 PM

Brushed metal is very nice:
  • Safari
  • Finder
  • iChat
  • iMovie
  • iTunes
  • iPhoto
  • QuickTime
  • Pro Apps
All look good in brushed metal. I also LOVE the embedded buttons in most of these apps, the recessed buttons are so nice and appealing. What's happening is the death of stripes in Aqua, and the continual refinement of Aqua. the new gradient for menu bars of windows, and the smoother buttons as of Jaguar, are helping to really make Aqua and the OS X inteface a very refined pleasant to use OS. I can't stand to use 10.1 and for that matter 10.2 (but have to due to my Beige G3). Panther and Tiger are really improve the look of Aqua and turning it into a very refined and visually pleasing UI. OS X is still young. wait for 10.5 (2007) and you will see how beautiful OS X really is.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

SoClose
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 10:29 PM

What's interesting about this change is that it continues to promote a major UI disconnect between Apple's web presence and the UI presented in Mac OS X 10.3. One of the biggest changes in Mac OS X 10.3 was the change from tabs to Panther's more button-like replacement. Personally, I liked the visual metaphor provided by tabs and find them much more effective than Panther's buttons. The new buttons remind me of the push-buttons on the radio in my parents' old Chrysler.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 10:48 PM

Hmmm... looks interesting. Good halfway between metal and Aqua.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 10:58 PM

Cool, I like the new look...

Arclite
Oct 5, 2004, 11:44 PM

The pictures at AppleInsider are down. Anyone have them here for someone who has a life? (I know, I shouldn't, but I do.)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Arclite:
The pictures at AppleInsider are down. Anyone have them here for someone who has a life? (I know, I shouldn't, but I do.)
Wow... that was fast. I looked at them just 20 minutes ago.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 01:32 AM

Pictures, anyone? The others are gone now.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by funkboy:
just imagine a standard Aqua window, with the dision beween the title bar and the toolbar removed, and the gradient fill of the titlebar continued down into the toolbar. That's the only 'new' thing I could see about these screenshots.

Looks a bit Windows XP to me.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 04:09 AM

.Mac looks no different to me?

Which pages have changed?

The front page has Aqua highlights now, blue bar across the top.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 6, 2004, 08:37 AM

Aqua needs to go waay before BM IMHO.

They needed to just make a modern Platinum look.

jac
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2004, 09:39 AM

Just to clarify, Pro apps are NOT brushed metal.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by funkboy:
Example at: http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/voiceover.html
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2004, 11:01 AM

pictures are postedin this AI thread too:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=2

Notice also that not only is Aqua looking a bit more like metal ,but that it's behaving more like metal -- no line between the title bar and toolbar (is all that area draggable, and if not, how do you tell where to grab the title bar from?) and a sidebar instead of a drawer.

I'm not sure graphite is the right way to describe this look. For one, the widgets are still multicolored, and two, there's no more hardware that's graphite. The only thing left of graphite is the color scheme for widgets.

Also considering that the pro apps still have their dark look, I don't expect the idea of theming on Apple's terms to go away, just that maybe they've decide dthat their so-called guidelines for "textured" windows (aka, metal) weren't so great, and that a lot of their functionality, demonstrated by iTunes, is useful for all apps.

SoClose
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2004, 11:23 AM

You can view the same thing if you look at the Spotlight section of the Tiger preview site. What it really looks like is that Apple has completely blurred the logical line between a window's titlebar and toolbar. If you use an NSToolbar in your application, it looks like it'll just pick-up the enhanced Panther titlebar gradient and have it flow-through the toolbar. Today's windows, Mail for example, have very hard lines between the titlebar, toolbar and main window contents (in the example of Mail, the NSTableView that holds the list of messages). I do like the return to a softer, Platinum-like appearance. It has the potential to look very professional, sleek and extremely modern.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 12:14 PM

Wow, Apple has really gone full circle with the OSX look haven't they, from OS9 Platinum to Aqua, to more subtle Aqua and now back to aqua Platinum hybrid. Oh and some Brushed metal in the mix also.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
I'm not sure I'd call that Platinum; although it lacks Aqua's stripes it bears little resemblance to the default OS9 interface. It seems to be more a fusion of ideas from the Metal and Aqua interfaces. Because of that "liquid/metal" thing, I'd be more tempted to call it Mercury.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 02:52 PM

It might just be that they got too many complains from .mac users because the web pages were very slow to load since they changed the pages to brushed metal background. It's way faster to load now, and looks much better IMHO.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2004, 03:58 PM

If the new Platinum look appears in the Finder I will be very happy. It would be incredibly appropriate for Mail, Finder and Safari. That said if they also made this more universal that would be awesome! I'd love for Photoshop to begin to look this good!

storer
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Chris Grande:
Now they just have to update the Web mail interface... heres hoping.
The metal UI is still on some of the internal pages.
Apple is terrible with consistency on their website!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 12:48 PM

Apple changes UI looks far too frequently... its hard for the developers to keep up. While subtle refinements are ok when done to existing UIs (as usually they don't require the developer to add/change anything), this seems like a whole new look (look at the pie chart in the prototype Mail screen capture) that will have developers either scrambling or giving up.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Apple changes UI looks far too frequently... its hard for the developers to keep up. While subtle refinements are ok when done to existing UIs (as usually they don't require the developer to add/change anything), this seems like a whole new look (look at the pie chart in the prototype Mail screen capture) that will have developers either scrambling or giving up.
Agreed, that said Tiger is supposed to be a 2 year + release, thus I think most devs are going to say OK we'll do the tiger look soon type thing. That said if they change things again with X.5 I think the developers will be crying for Steve's head. Also, what the heck shouldn't this sort of thing have been showed off at the WWDC? If they're adding a new interface theme it really should have been more public.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Also, what the heck shouldn't this sort of thing have been showed off at the WWDC? If they're adding a new interface theme it really should have been more public.
Apple isn't that stupid. The new look will first be reserved for Apple's applications so that they can profit on having the cool new look first. It will later be available to third party developers in the next major release. That's how they did it with Brushed Metal as well.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 04:21 PM

How does Apple profit from people using Mail.app over Entourage, Thunderbird, or anything else? I'm sorry I don't get what you're getting at. Apple has no reason to withhold new abilities in software that are going to built into the OS from other devs. CI and CV are available already in Motion, but I think that's partly why they were developed. And they would need to be installed. Now that Apple will have a solid vehicle to get them out I don't see why they would want to keep them. Likewise, if the App is on the Mac it benefits Apple. Again, this should have been shown at the WWDC, the only thing I can think of is someone thought up the look after the WWDC or it wasn't near done.

Either way, PLEASE give us the finder like this! We could shut up so many people!

Actually I'd love to see them move everything to this theme, Safari, iChat, iTunes etc. Think about it, they'd probably need to rewrite the front end of iTunes in Cocoa but still! It'd be awesome!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
How does Apple profit from people using Mail.app over Entourage, Thunderbird, or anything else?
They profit because when people use it the perceived value of the OS/apps bundle is higher -> more sales. They more directly profit with iApps etc. which are sold separately.

iTunes works very well. There is no good reason to rewrite it in Cocoa.

Forum Links
Forum Rules