Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Q: Best external DVD-R burner?

Q: Best external DVD-R burner?
jgift
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 01:06 PM

Hi. I have a Alu PB 15" Combo and am looking at getting an external DVD-R burner. I've always liked Pioneer and was thinking of the 108. Best get that and an external 3 1/2 drive bay (if so which most compatible), or a ready made unit like a LaCie 2d DVD-R 16X? Thanks. I'm looking at reliability as number one. The ability to replace the drive as number two, as in popping a bad drive out of an external drive bay and popping in another. Thanks.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 02:29 PM

Getting an external 5.25" case (not 3.5", that's for hard drives) is a better idea if you want to be able to replace it. I think you can still do it with the LaCie cases, but it won't be as easy. You also get to choose your drive mechanism and save some money in the process.

LaCie uses the NEC ND-3500a, I think, which is about $80. The Pioneer DVR-108 costs about the same. You might consider a LaCie if you also want Roxio Toast Titanium - you can get a bundle deal that actually costs a bit less than buying a burner, case, and the software separately. Otherwise, though, the Pioneer is the most compatible with OS X, and you'll probably spend less by buying the case and drive separately.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 03:52 PM

Getting an external 5.25" case (not 3.5", that's for hard drives) is a better idea if you want to be able to replace it. I think you can still do it with the LaCie cases, but it won't be as easy.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sorry, you're right. 5.25" is the size.

I don't need Toast so is there any particular external 5.25" case anyone recommends if I get a Pioneer 108? One which will work with mac and not give the Pioneer any trouble?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2004, 04:11 PM

Any 5.25" case should work fine, just make sure that it has Firewire. You can also use USB 2.0 if you want, and it'll probably be cheaper, but you can't boot from a USB 2.0 device so Firewire is the way to go.

This case should work fine. There shouldn't be any problems hooking up any old Firewire case to a Mac; generally they are completely cross platform compatible items.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2004, 05:27 PM

I'd definitely go FW. So any external case??? And it shouldn't have any problems with whatever drive I put in, in this case a Pioneer 108... Just confirming; Thank.

Forum Links
Forum Rules