Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Warcraft 3 -Best Seller Series- installation problem

Warcraft 3 -Best Seller Series- installation problem
kazurm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 11:21 AM

Well, I finally bought myself Warcraft 3 - Best Seller Series - to play on my Powerbook, but I can't seem to find the right file on the CD to install on Mac.
On the cover (and back for that matter) it says 'PC/MAC CD-ROM'...

Can anyone help me out?

Oh, I had previously installed the WC3 demo and whenever I doubleclicked on of the two .mpq files on the new WC3 CD it started the WC3 DEMO. So I tried to delete the Demo, then when I dblclick the files, an error pops up: -10660 ("The operation could not be completed / unexpected error).

Any help is appreciated.
15" AL PB, 1.25GHz, 512MB (my first Apple)

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Oct 21, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by kazurm:
Well, I finally bought myself Warcraft 3 - Best Seller Series - to play on my Powerbook, but I can't seem to find the right file on the CD to install on Mac.
On the cover (and back for that matter) it says 'PC/MAC CD-ROM'...

Can anyone help me out?

Oh, I had previously installed the WC3 demo and whenever I doubleclicked on of the two .mpq files on the new WC3 CD it started the WC3 DEMO. So I tried to delete the Demo, then when I dblclick the files, an error pops up: -10660 ("The operation could not be completed / unexpected error).

Any help is appreciated.
Interesting report.

Can you email me at rbarris "at" blizzard.com and if possible, include a screen shot of the CD contents (in list view with all the folders expanded). Bonus points for a snapshot of the box cover or back of box.

Also, where did you purchase it?

Rob

kazurm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 02:37 PM

Hi,

I ordered it from amazon.de (I live in Germany). You can see a picture of the cover here:
cover

I'll try to send a screenshot of the CD's folders/files to your emailaccount.

Thanks already!

P.S.: I noticed amazon.de didn't mention the macintosh OS compatibility for the Best Sellers Series (Licensed by Vivendi it seems), but it clearly said so on the cover (and cd), so that"s why I ordered. I can return it to amazon, but only if I really need to.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by kazurm:

Are you sure you're clicking on the installer application and not the .mpq files?
MacBook Pro

jac
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 02:28 PM

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm having the very same problem. It seems as if only the PC files are present on the CD.

kazurm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 02:48 PM

Hi jac,

yes, well... I discussed the problem with our own 'blizzard man' (rbarris) here and also with Vivendi Universal. Both came to the same conclusion: the CD pressing must have been faulty.

I could have sent it to Vivendi, who would then send me a working copy.

I looked for other, similar, copies of the game at various stores here in Berlin, Germany. In total I tried 3 of them, from 3 different stores. They ALL showed the same symptom: NO Mac installation on it. I'm curious as to whether that's the case with all Best Seller Series Warcraft 3 discs.

My personal solution was to sell my copy of the game to a friend (who only has a pc). I then tried the Warcraft Battlechest version (which includes the Frozen Throne & two solution booklets). THAT one has all the files needed for the Mac installation, so I strongly suggest you bring/send back the copy you have (or sell it to a friend, or give away as a christmas gift) and then get yourself the Battlechest Edition.

Regards,
kazurm

MartiNZ
Senior User
Dec 2, 2004, 04:04 PM

Interesting to hear this. I've just been in Germany and got a copy of WC3 while there, with the same problem! Conveniently I already had it installed on my machine, having just left the CD at home, so it was still useful - somehow it was okay for running the game even without the installation files for mac, and even the German CD running the game in English although I guess that's not so much a surprise .

jac
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 11:44 AM

Just a follow up. I concluded that the CD was faulty (or at least missing the Mac portion), so I returned the disc and got a new one from my vendor. The new one worked fine.
Beware though, I originally bought the Battlechest and it was this one that was faulty. (The expansion CD eas fine though)

Forum Links
Forum Rules