Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > How change default Java app buttons?

How change default Java app buttons?
jgift
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 09:06 AM

Hi. I've installed Britannica 2005 which is Java based. The print, notes, etc, buttons on the main form are Unix Motif style. Any way of changing those?

I found the file (Britannica.ini) and a reference to one of the buttons. But there's no directory for images and no png anywhere.

InternalArticleHeader.note.dim=images/bcd05_toolbar_takenote_dim.png

Where would I find this png then? Is it bundled up in like images.data? If so, any way to get the png in there?

Thanks!

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 05:09 PM

Java has several styles built into it that the programmer can choose. If you don't like it, you can either search for a preference inside the application, or ask them to change the source code. I don't know of any other way to get around it.

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2005, 05:49 PM

Thanks for helping out. I found the reference to the buttons I want to change as you see in the Toolbar line of code I enclosed. But I can't find the png, so it's either in Java itself, or buried in a image package file. I think the latter. Either way, how get to it??

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 09:49 PM

Ok, I think I might have misunderstood you. Do you want to change the entire "look and feel" of the application (to make it seem like an Aqua app)? Or do you just want to change a few icons? If you want to just change some icons, then they're most likely held within the jar file itself (which is an archive). You'll have to extract all the files from the jar file (using the command 'jar -xf asdf.jar'). Then you'll see several folders. Your icon might be in one of the folders you see (search all of them using OS X's search feature). The hard part is putting it all back together once you've made the change to the icons (make sure the icon you switched has the same name as the one you replaced). You'll need to use the 'jar' command again and specify the 'manifest' file (which you'll be able to find in a folder with a similar name after extracting all the files, like "MANIF-F" or something).

If this is what you want to do, search google on how to use the 'jar' command.

But, you can't change the "look and feel" of the application without altering the source (which you don't have).

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 03:57 AM

I just want to change 5 navigation buttons on the main navigation window. All references in the same style as above. Your advice seems in the right direction, only I've opened all the jar files I can find and it's all code, no images of any sort. When looking at the britannia.ini file which specifies the button images, it and every other image starts with "images/file_name". But where are those images kept is the key?? I see several files names images, but their extension is images.data and won't open to anything I have.

I'm not trying to change the look and feel. Just those 5 buttons which I have now found referenced in the ini file.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 06:41 PM

Well, I'm all out of ideas here. Is this really important?

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2005, 03:25 AM

Well, I'm all out of ideas here. Is this really important?

In the scheme of things like peace in the Middle East, I guess not. Just bugged by the OS inconsistency (Motif on Aqua/Panther). I'll keep plugging away with it and my experience is things usually work out. Thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules