Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help with weird .bashrc & Mouse conflict

Need help with weird .bashrc & Mouse conflict
jgift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2005, 10:17 AM

PowerBook 14" 1.33Ghz running OSX 10.3.8.

Never had any trouble with my PB until just after the latest update when I would put the machine to sleep using the menu it would awake some 5 minutes later. Since this doesn't occur in a new testing account I set up, it doesn't seem hardware or update related. I proceeded to removing/replacing Preferences, etc, and discovered that removing .bashrc caused the machine to sleep past the five minutes. As did keeping it but unplugging my Apple USB mouse.

To recap: I log in, open no apps, yet if .bashrc is present and my mouse is plugged in then my system awakes from sleep after 5 mins. If I remove .bashrc or unplug the mouse, then sleep works.

I'd like to go back to a mouse and .bashrc as before. Any thought? Thanks.
( Last edited by jgift; Mar 3, 2005 at 11:55 AM. )

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 02:35 PM

What's in the .bashrc? Do you have any special attachment to bash? You could switch back to tcsh. However, if it's something that's in the .bashrc file, then that may not help.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2005, 03:10 PM

The weird thing is that it doesn't react to what's inside... ie I deleted everything in it as a test and the PB still awoke from sleep. It's only when it wasn't there that sleep worked so it's the name that is causing trouble. Or when I unplugged the mouse, I was able to keep the .Bashrc there.

Weirder is this is all without any apps open, nothing, so who's checking for a .bashrc and why? If root works with the mouse and a .bashrc (I copied mine over), then it doesn't point to a system update or hardware issue. In fact, it points to my account. But if I remove every single file from my root directory except the .bashrc, it will still awake from sleep, so it's not a preference or anything else I have.

Thanks for the help. Since root works I figure I could do a reinstall, but if it's a question of something my account has or put somewhere then it will be repeated, so I'd rather solve it here if possible.

Right now I've unplugged the mouse and my .bashrc is working ok.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 04:37 PM

I think the mouse is an important detail... do you have third party mouse drivers installed for it? Is there an update for the drivers? What if you update? What if you remove the mouse drivers?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2005, 06:29 PM

I don't mean to flame, but Apple doesn't make a 14" Powerbook. Do you mean the 15" Powerbook or the 14" iBook?

Secondly, have you looked at the system logs? There is usually an entry at least when the system wakes from sleep. Perhaps that would help you. Also I severly doubt that .bashrc would have anything to do with waking from sleep, not unless there was something seriously wrong with your machine. In any case, as far as I know, the .bashrc file in your home directory will not be read. You should be using ~/.profile for your user or modify /etc/profile for all users (you can however modify or add to /etc/bashrc if you want).

As for your mouse, what make is it, and is it new? I know some Logitech mice act up and do strange things (like double clicking when one does a single click) when they get old.
weird wabbit

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2005, 03:31 AM

I think the mouse is an important detail... do you have third party mouse drivers installed for it? Is there an update for the drivers? What if you update? What if you remove the mouse drivers?

Only running the Apple transparent mouse that came with my QuickSilver PowerMac. No drivers ever installed but default system one's. Worked fine until this week, nothing in hardware added or removed...

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2005, 03:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by theolein:
I don't mean to flame, but Apple doesn't make a 14" Powerbook. Do you mean the 15" Powerbook or the 14" iBook?

Sorry, typo!. The PowerBook 1.33 15". April 2004 model.

Secondly, have you looked at the system logs? There is usually an entry at least when the system wakes from sleep.

I have. Nothing. Just lists the apps started when started up again from sleep.

Perhaps that would help you. Also I severly doubt that .bashrc would have anything to do with waking from sleep, not unless there was something seriously wrong with your machine. In any case, as far as I know, the .bashrc file in your home directory will not be read. You should be using ~/.profile for your user or modify /etc/profile for all users (you can however modify or add to /etc/bashrc if you want).

I agree, which is what is weird. There's no apps open, nothing using the .bashrc, and I test straight from login, and with .bashrc present (even if empty so it's the file name it reacts to) then the system awakes from sleep. If the mouse isremoved, the .bashrc causes no problems.

As for your mouse, what make is it, and is it new?

Mouse came with my QuickSilver PowerMac. Apple. No drivers installed.

I just don't get it.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2005, 11:30 AM

Do a "sudo pmset -g" in the terminal and see if there are any anomalies there. The plists governing power management are in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and there are two: com.apple.PowerManagement.plist and com.apple.AutoWake.plist. Perhaps you can back them up to another location, then trash them, do a restart and see if that helps.
weird wabbit

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2005, 05:44 PM

Thanks. I'll keep your suggestion on file here. The pattern changed again this afternnon (now waking up from sleep whether the mouse was plugged in or not) so I just when and did a fresh install. It fixed whatever it was but I'll keep an eye out for future reference.

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 08:34 AM

I'm back because I made a fresh install and everything fine lasy eveneing, then this morning it started again.
( Last edited by jgift; Mar 6, 2005 at 06:59 AM. )

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by jgift:
I'm back because I made a fresh install and everything fine until this morning when it started again. Thise time not consistent, but I managed to isolate in the system.log two occurrences, one with manually wake from sleep, one where it awakes itself after 5 mins. The lods are different. Any idea what is doing this??
Reinstalling the OS isn't going to fix anything if you kept your users, as you said before that it was user related.

Try a PMU reset. Otherwise, you will need to go through the different settings for that user no systematically narrow it down.

BTW, are you CERTAIN this does not happen under another user's login?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2005, 09:39 AM

jgift, do you perhaps use Airport? And have you perhaps set your Mac to allow WakeOnLan in the powermanagment settings? I wonder if your Mac isn't receiving a wake single on the network?
weird wabbit

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 09:47 AM

Apologies. I was starting a new thread as I thought it a different problem. Or the problem had changed sufficiently to justify a new direction. Whatever .bashrc was doing yesterday, it's not doing it now on a fresh install. Nothing to do with not liking a title or cutting people off gracious enough to help.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by jgift:
Apologies. I was starting a new thread as I thought it a different problem. Or the problem had changed sufficiently to justify a new direction. Whatever .bashrc was doing yesterday, it's not doing it now on a fresh install. Nothing to do with not liking a title or cutting people off gracious enough to help.
no problem. If you weren't getting responses here, I would have been more than happy to leave it open. I just didn't want the responses to be split across two threads, causing additional confusion.

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 10:46 AM

Reinstalling the OS isn't going to fix anything if you kept your users, as you said before that it was user related.

True, it's that with the pattern changing it was now going to be less time to do another install than try and fix this. Only downside being the chance it was in a config, in which case it would pop back.

Try a PMU reset. Otherwise, you will need to go through the different settings for that user no systematically narrow it down.

Tried that, and reset nvram, etc. No go.

BTW, are you CERTAIN this does not happen under another user's login?

Good point. Well the results were pretty consistent yesterday. Have .bashrc, wake up from sleep. Remove mouse or .bashrc, sleep ok. Put back in, no sleep. I was batting 100. Then tried root account a couple times and sleep fine. Put a .bashrc and used mouse in root and that fine too. So to me that points to something not in my home dir as conflicting, but my login. Something in my own login causes sleep to stop after 5 min if there's a .bashrc.

Also supporting this is that in one test I removed every single file in my home dir and I still had the problem with .bashrc and or mouse present. One of them gone, sleep worked fine regardless of my personal files and preferences, etc.

So it has to be a login preference? Something in my System preferences? If so, nothing comes to mind and I've gone over them 20 times.

I do appreciate the help. Not being able to put my PB to sleep and having it therefore on 24hrs at a go is not at all good.

PS Original problem back. went to sleep ok last night, this morning, then since then the problem is back and just moving the .bashrc or unplugging the mouse solves it...

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 10:49 AM

]jgift, do you perhaps use Airport? And have you perhaps set your Mac to allow WakeOnLan in the powermanagment settings? I wonder if your Mac isn't receiving a wake single on the network?

Everything is switched to off. Problem persists even when I click Airport off and it's not active at all.

Checked all my Airport Express settings but nothing there...

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2005, 11:28 AM

To recap:

Fresh install yesterday, everything working afterwards. Sleep also normal first two attempts this morning. Then problem started up again. hadn't change any settings or added any apps in the meantime.

Mouse now not part of it so I'll leave that out.

Like clockwork, have a .bashrc file present, whether empty or not, and sleep wakes up after 5 mins. The file is gone, sleep works. Apps all default, with nothing new or aadded since all this started. No new peripherals or change of setup. Nothing changed since this morning when it was working.

Turning off isn't an option as I just tried that. Back on again problem is immediately present.

Forum Links
Forum Rules