Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help: PowerBook wakes after 5 min

Help: PowerBook wakes after 5 min
jgift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 06:16 AM

I have a November PowerBook 15" 1.33G Combo. I formatted my drive when purchased and installed/used Panther 10.3.5 through 10.3.8 without problem. About 3 weeks ago my system started waking up 5 mins after clicking on Sleep in the Apple menu. Not consistently, maybe 3 times in a row, then it would sleep without wakeup 2-3 times. There's no pattern. It's very annoying to have to wait 5 mins each time I click on Sleep to see if it will.

As for fixes which haven't worked, I've: Reset PRAM, reset PMU, reset NVRAM, reinstalled OSX twice and kept it at my initial 10.3.5 configuration which had worked until recently, booted holding down shift, made sure BlueTooth, PM, or Airport settings are all off or on non-wake options. And more.

The only clue I might have is both times I reinstalled OSX the problem disappeared until I installed a major application from a CD. So was it the use of the CD drive, the use of an installation program? If it's a hardware problem it wouldn't have waited a day to have sleep fail. If it isn't, why the coincidence with the use of the drive?

Also, putting it to sleep by closing the PowerBook seems to work.

Any suggestion very appreciated. Thanks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2005, 06:27 AM

Are you connected to something externally? A keyboard or monitor or something? If so, disconnect and see if the problem remains.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 07:31 AM

Are you connected to something externally? A keyboard or monitor or something? If so, disconnect and see if the problem remains.

Thanks for jumping in!

Only one Apple USB mouse and the problem happens whether it's plugged in or not. Plus that wouldn't explain why it's always 5 min later on the dot.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2005, 07:39 AM

Just checking the possibilities.
What are your Energy Saver settings on? Is this when plugged in as well as on a battery? Are you connected to the Internet wirelessly?
Have you tried creating a new user and seeing if the problem happens there. That'll narrow it down to hardware or something with the OS.
Have you tried a clean install?

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 07:45 AM

Just checking the possibilities.
What are your Energy Saver settings on? Is this when plugged in as well as on a battery? Are you connected to the Internet wirelessly?
Have you tried creating a new user and seeing if the problem happens there. That'll narrow it down to hardware or something with the OS.
Have you tried a clean install?

Energy settings are now sleep 15, dim 10. But I've moved them around without change. And they were settings I've always had back when it was working. Checked pmset -g and nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing set to 5 min or to wake.

Connected to Airport Express. But same problem with I don't have it connected.

Yes on new user. It would seem to not happen. But since sometimes I can go 7 or so sleeps without once waking up, I'm not positive. This would point to software. But again, as above, I set up new installs/accounts from scratch twice and the problem returns.
( Last edited by jgift; Mar 15, 2005 at 08:01 AM. )

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 01:01 PM

My GF at the time had this problem, I did both a PMU and PRAM reset and it fixed the problem. You might wanna give those a try.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2005, 01:10 PM

Yep, my next would also be to reset the pmu.

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 01:11 PM

My GF at the time had this problem, I did both a PMU and PRAM reset and it fixed the problem. You might wanna give those a try.

This is useful. First time someone's seen this. I have done both several times now, and reset NVRAM. No change. Anythng else you can remember about her situation?

Thanks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 02:23 PM

Do you have any application installed on the computer that could keep it from going to sleep? I know a couple apps that are designed with PM's in mind and keep the computer from sleeping. If this doesn't help, then I suggest you go to a "genius".
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 02:49 PM

Do you have any application installed on the computer that could keep it from going to sleep? I know a couple apps that are designed with PM's in mind and keep the computer from sleeping. If this doesn't help, then I suggest you go to a "genius".

Nothing visible in any of the tools that'd be using a PM feature. And, unfortunatly, here in Paris there's no "genius".

Forum Links
Forum Rules