Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Shut off second display

Shut off second display
jac
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 12:24 PM

I've connected a tv monitor to the second DVI port of my Power Mac G5, via Apples DVI to video adapter. The second monitor is used for Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro. My problem is that I don't want to span the monitors when not using these program, I just want to use my 20" LCD. The only way I've found that's possible is by unplugging the adapter from my graphics card (a GeForce 6800 GT, if that makes any difference) which is kind of a hassle.
Mirroring doesn't work, I get a thick black border around the image when the display is set to 1680x1050. Is there any setting for switching a DVI port on and off? Or any other way of getting around this?
Thanks!

jac  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2006, 09:07 PM

Looks like I stumped y'all. Bummer. The closest thing I've found to a solution is arranging the displays so that they only connect through the corners (e g the top left corner of my main display connects to the bottom right of the tv monitor). This minimizes the chance of accidently dragging the pointer or windows off the main display. Still, it doesn't really solve the problem.
As I said, bummer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules