Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Connection problems and kernel panics

Connection problems and kernel panics
braiiins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2007, 06:45 PM

I'm not sure if these issues are connected, but the kernel panics only seem to happen when I am loading something on the internet. I've had 2 or 3 kernel panics today, and 3 in less than half an hour last night. The other problem is that the internet randomly stops working. Airport says I am still connected to my wireless network, but it will not load any pages unless I turn Airport on and then back off. Occasionally I have to restart the computer. I thought it might be a router problem, but the 2 other computers on the network stay connected and continue working despite my problems.

Info: Macbook with OS X 10.4.10.

This problem was happening before updating to 10.4.10, but it has since gotten much worse.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 07:08 PM

Does renewing your DHCP lease get you back online in those circumstances?

As for the kernel panics, I suggest doing a memory test to test for RAM gone bad.

braiiins  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 01:10 PM

No, I have to power cycle the airport card in order to get it to reconnect.

System passes Apple hardware test...

There is no aftermarket memory or parts in this system.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by braiiins View Post
No, I have to power cycle the airport card in order to get it to reconnect.

System passes Apple hardware test...

There is no aftermarket memory or parts in this system.

Have you checked to see whether the Airport card is still seated firmly?

braiiins  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 06:49 PM

My husband wants to wait to check that until we can bring it over to the Apple store because he fears voiding the warranty by opening it up.

Is there anything else I should check for in the meantime? Is it possible whatever is causing Airport to disconnect is also causing the kernel panics? I've noticed today I had less kernel panics (one so far) while using the internet much less.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by braiiins View Post
My husband wants to wait to check that until we can bring it over to the Apple store because he fears voiding the warranty by opening it up.

Is there anything else I should check for in the meantime? Is it possible whatever is causing Airport to disconnect is also causing the kernel panics? I've noticed today I had less kernel panics (one so far) while using the internet much less.
AFAIK Airport cards and RAM are user serviceable parts. This means you can add/remove an Airport card or RAM without voiding your warranty.

However, since all Macs include Wifi this may have changed, so don't quote me on this

braiiins  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2007, 10:14 PM

Just found this thread: Apple - Support - Discussions - Wifi connection bad since upgrade to ...

It seems that many other people are having this same problem. Just wanted to post the link in case anyone else here finds themselves in this situation or might know what is going on and can add some insight to the thread over there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules