Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > screen problems

screen problems
darkangel51717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2009, 01:52 PM

Hi, I have had my macbook for 3 years now, and a week ago I opened the computer only to find that the screen was distorted. I dont know how to correctly describe what it looks like. I suppose that the best way is to say that in the middle of the screen it looks like there are a hundred small white dots/lines. It dominates the middle third of the screen. I thought that this could be attributed to a keyboard cover that I use putting pressure on the screen, so I took it off and let it sit on my desk for 2 days, and the problems was gone. Thinking it was alright, I went somewhere only to find that the problem had returned. Does anyone know what this is from, have a similar problem, or know how to fix it?

I am slightly desperate, I have finals and two papers to write. Thanks!

hatehereyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2009, 06:05 PM

It sounds like a graphics card problem.

Might want to take it into apple.
Early 2008 Mac Pro 4gb RAM
iPod Classic 160gb/iPod Video 30gb
Triple Monitor Setup
www.MacLister.com

Cold Warrior
May 20, 2009, 06:24 PM

It could also be a cable problem, depending on what the screen artifacts look like. However, unless you're comfortable opening it up and changing ribbon cables, it'll have to go in for service whether it's the cable or the video card.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
May 23, 2009, 04:57 PM

Can you plug it into an external monitor. If the second screen shows the problem too then it's the video card. If the second monitor shows up fine then it's the cable.

At least the cable is replaceable. The video card is part of the motherboard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules