Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > The Big Deal: Big savings available on a refurbished MacBook Pro

The Big Deal: Big savings available on a refurbished MacBook Pro
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 11, 2016, 10:14 AM

Alongside our regular MacNN Deals and Daily Deals posts, the writers of MacNN occasionally find offers that are interesting or major enough to warrant their own Big Deals post. Today, we're pointing out a fantastic offer that originally appeared in the Daily Deals post yesterday, where you can pick up a refurbished MacBook Pro with Retina display for a relatively cheap price.

If you want to get a MacBook Pro without spending too much, and don't mind about having a refurbished and older device, this may be a good bet for you. For your money, you get a 15.4-inch Retina display with a resolution of 2880x1800, a quad-core 2.3GHz Intel Core i7-3615QM processor, 16GB of RAM, and 256GB of SSD storage.

To beef up the power even more, it uses an Nvidia GeForce GT 650M GPU with 1GB of VRAM to accompany the Intel HD 4000 graphics. The notebook also sports a seven-hour battery life, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, FaceTime HD webcam, an SDXC card slot, two USB 3.0 ports, two Thunderbolt ports, and an HDMI output.

This refurbished MacBook Pro with Retina is valued at $2,199 by Groupon, but if you get it within the next few days, you'll end up paying just $1,250.

ibook_steve
May 11, 2016, 02:19 PM

Wish they indicated the model year (since I got excited by this deal at first). This is actually one of the first retina MBPs: 2012 version with Ivy Bridge. So it's a little old.
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 11, 2016, 02:29 PM

It is the first 15-inch RMBP. It is, however, not much slower than the current i7 models, given the tock-tock-tock thing that Intel's got going on.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 11, 2016, 03:36 PM

It took us a little time to be certain this was the 2012 version, but it is (surprisingly) not much changed from the current version apart from processor. Considering a non-Retina from that era goes for as much as $800 (and rocks with SSDs in it, which happily you can install yourself), this is a very good deal even if the vintage is considerable. Should be good for typical-to-power use for non-gamers for another few years, thanks to that quad i7.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

RTouris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2016, 04:08 PM

Be wary that these were affected by a GPU-errata which only recently was covered by Apple's repair extension program, as per this link: http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 11, 2016, 04:24 PM

These are Apple refurbs, not new stock.

RTouris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2016, 04:40 PM

Groupon faq for this specific deals seems to indicate that these are third-party refurbs, not Apple..

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 11, 2016, 04:55 PM

I'll double-check, but I was told by the Groupon people that they're Apple refurbs.

Edit: confirmed again. 90 day warranty handled through third-party.
( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; May 11, 2016 at 05:07 PM. )

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 12, 2016, 01:26 PM

Hmm... that's odd. If they are Apple referbs, I've never heard of them having issues like in the comments. Either these are just reviewers trying to spoil the deal, or something is odd. And, if they were Apple referbs, why 3rd party warranty? Great deal though (if they truly are Apple referb).
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules