Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Instructions - how to customize Apple Menu!

Instructions - how to customize Apple Menu!
spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2001, 05:08 PM

I found a place to customize part of the Apple menu. The specific thing I found is where the URL for the "Get Mac OS X Software..." menu item is stored. Follow the instructions below, I replaced the apple.com address with versiontracker.com on my machine.

Step 1:
Go to /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/ and make a copy of Menus.strings to your desktop.

Step 2:
Edit the last line in Menus.strings with TextEdit...you will see "http://www.apple.com" = "http://www.apple.com/macosx/buy/";" Replace the second URL with whatever you want the menu to go to. Close and save.

Step 3:
There is no step three. ok I lied, bad apple joke Move onto step 4.

Step 4:
Open terminal and enter the following line without the quotes (cut and paste):
"cd /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/"
Then hit return.

Step 5:
In terminal type without the quotes but including the spaces:
"sudo cp "
Then drag the icon of the copy of Menus.strings onto the terminal window and drop. You should get something that looks like this without quotes:
"[localhost:A/Resources/English.lproj] yourname% sudo cp /Users/yourname/Desktop/Menus.strings "
Now leaving the space type "Menus.strings" again at the end to get this final command:
"[localhost:A/Resources/English.lproj] yourname% sudo cp /Users/yourname/Desktop/Menus.strings Menus.strings"
Hit Return then enter your user password.

Step 6:
Log out or Force Quit the Finder to make the changes active, that's it. Its easier than it looks.

More to come soon...

[This message has been edited by spicyjeff (edited 03-27-2001).]

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 05:12 PM

Cool. But does the menu item still say "Get Mac OS X Software..."?

spicyjeff  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2001, 05:16 PM

Heh, yes it does...that is why I pointed mine towards versiontracker.com which is where I look for new software. I'm looking for the GUI string now since I would like to change it or maybe add others.

spicyjeff  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2001, 05:41 PM

Ok, found the GUI text string and you can either change it or remove it...I removed it all together since I didn't want a cluttered menu.

Simplified instructions:
Go make a copy of this file to your desktop:
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc"
Run this copy through QuickConvert to update the resource forks.

Open the file in your favorite Resource editor like ResEdit.
Find the Menu resource and edit resource # -21629. You will see the menu and the options you have since this is graphical.

Make changes, close and save.

Run it through QuickConvert again.

Open terminal and enter the following line without the quotes (cut and paste):
"cd /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/"
Then hit return.

Now replace the original the same way as you edited the URL in the first tip I posted:
In terminal type without the quotes but including the spaces:
"sudo cp "
Then drag the icon of the copy of Localized.rsrc onto the terminal window and drop. You should get something that looks like this without quotes:
"[localhost:A/Resources/English.lproj] yourname% sudo cp /Users/yourname/Desktop/Menus.strings "
Now leaving the space type "Localized.rsrc" again at the end to get this final command:
"[localhost:A/Resources/English.lproj] yourname% sudo cp /Users/yourname/Desktop/Localized.rsrc Localized.rsrc"
Hit Return then enter your user password.

[This message has been edited by spicyjeff (edited 03-27-2001).]

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2001, 05:49 PM

Wow this could be really interesting if someone writes a line to launch an app like DragThing or something. Or a frequently used script. The skies the limit.

------------------
JB71.339b

Dock Perverts still rule OK?

the rev
Mar 27, 2001, 05:52 PM

This is GREAT! I'll be placing an alias to Apple System Profiler in my Apple menu!(something I wanted quick access to, but didn't consider worthy of my Dock Space). Thanks for the tip!

bitfly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2001, 05:53 PM

Some people.
Sad really.

SezMe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 06:05 PM

Any way to increase the number of recently used items?

spicyjeff  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2001, 06:11 PM

Update:

There is some sort of weird menu caching in OS X so that if you launched an application before you make this edit and then try to use the Apple menu while in that application after the edit it will have the old settings. You need to quit each applications so it 'sees' the new Apple menu on launch.

The easiest way to make sure it is cleanly loaded across the board is to logout then back in again, no need to restart, just a logout. I love OS X.

As for the two comments about launching other applications from this menu...right now you can only launch URLs. Maybe tonight I will have some time to find the flag that tells which application to launch...

SezMe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2001, 06:16 PM

Any way to increase the number of recently used items?

the siren
Mar 28, 2001, 04:21 AM

what about directing it to a local address, say a folder?
i'm going to play around with it tomorrow.

Darchmare
Mar 28, 2001, 06:14 AM

Seems kind of sad that people are getting so impressed over a 'feature' that has been present in Mac OS for years, without limitations (unlimited and hierarchical items of any type, not just URLs).

I seriously hope none of you were the ones yelling about how we don't need it because we have an oh-so-wonderful dock.

Wake me up when we have a real Apple Menu again. It'd be nice if they'd make it better than the classic version, but right now I'll settle with the original implementation in a pinch.

Mk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2001, 07:15 AM

In my case, I'm just trying give the new UI a chance. I'm not griping for old features, even though I loved using them in the past. So far, I'm learning how to deal with it. Sure I've had to start using new methods of working and getting stuff done, but hey, it's not really that hard. Have you tried it that way?

------------------
:.::..::.::.
:.::..::.::.

spicyjeff  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2001, 01:40 AM

Well, you can make the menu launch any file or application you want. Follow my instructions above for editing the Menus.strings file and simply place a file path in place or the URL they use.

For example: "file://localhost/Applications/Utilities/Grab.app"

That's it!

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2001, 02:16 AM

I wonder if apple is regretting making all their stuff XML... cuz we just keep ****in with it. Life's great

[edit]PS: good work jeff This hack isn't as useful (or as easy) as the dock hack IMHO (i never was a big apple menu user in the older macos's)... but it's still nice to see people going through all these files and figuring out ways to change them to meet their needs. Yee haw!!!

[This message has been edited by billybob (edited 03-29-2001).]
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

spicyjeff  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2001, 02:26 AM

Yeah, I actually find the dock replaces me old uses for the Apple menu pretty well actually. Right now I have removed this menu item completely on my system...however, my plan is to make it useful and find a way to creat a sub-menu. Then I'll have a utilities sub-menu from which I can place things like Terminal, Process Viewer, Network Utility, etc...

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2001, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by spicyjeff:
however, my plan is to make it useful and find a way to creat a sub-menu. Then I'll have a utilities sub-menu from which I can place things like Terminal, Process Viewer, Network Utility, etc...
This would be truly _sweet_!!!

------------------
Do I get a Senior Member Discount?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2001, 02:45 AM

jeff: I cant tell from your post, but you know im talking about the dock HACK right? not just the dock itself. The dock hack being orientation/pinning/minimize effect. What you want to do would be cool though. There's plenty of utilities or apps that I want to open every once in a while, but not important enough to place in the dock and take up space. Having access to these in the apple menu would be cool.
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

GraphiteBoi
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2001, 02:48 AM

sounds complicated

------------------
i Think, therefore iMac.
i Think, therefore iMac.

spicyjeff  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2001, 02:49 AM

Yes, I currently run my dock pinned to start on the right. And that is exactly why i want to create a utilities sub-menu in the apple menu...since they are not used often enough to be placed in the dock (except maybe terminal) but you want to be able to get to them fast from any place.

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2001, 03:22 AM

I've actually stopped using the apple menu in OS 9 now too, since I discover TaskMenuBar (awesome!) Would be nice to have the option though. jeff: easy answer for all the items 'not worthy' of dock space but still useful....just put the utilities folder in the dock. I have my apps folder and my utilities folder in the dock and I don't miss the apple menu a bit.

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2001, 03:36 AM

it certainly is cool to start bagging on someone that has taken the time to share a cool hack with the rest of us...
anyways, on a brighter note: i always found the apple menu to be very customizable (cool) but also very difficult to use, especially if you've cluttered it with a lot of crap, etc. the precision it takes to navigate all that stuff with your mouse is a bit tedious.

in this way the dock is a great replacement. however, one thing that i would like to know is how to add more keyboard shortcuts to various items all over the OS. anyone got any suggestions? in my small world, keyboard shortcuts are the most efficient way to get around.

thx
ppmax

Darchmare
Mar 29, 2001, 07:08 AM

it certainly is cool to start bagging on someone that has taken the time to share a cool hack with the rest of us...
I'm not sure if this is directed toward me, but I wasn't bagging on anyone (and if it seemed that way, I apologize).

By "sad" I don't mean sad as in someone is a loser, I mean "sad" in that we have to poke around just to find anything that even comes close to the functionality we lost in the OS X upgrade.

And yes, I know that not everyone thinks a fully customizable hierarchical launching feature not tethered to a shifty, poorly labeled dock is a 'core' feature, but I never claimed to represent anything other than my own opinion. :>

On the contrary, I fully encourage people to poke around - while it may seem sad (to me) that it has to be done, if it results in something as usable for my needs as the old-school Apple Menu, I'm all for it.

aaronvegh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2001, 09:52 PM

Help! I fragged my copy of Localized.rsrc!!!

I followed the instructions, but it ended up making all the menu items execute the command represented by the item below it. As if all hte functions had been bumped up one, instead of following the new menu order. I made another change, and suddenly Finder crashed! When I tried restarting it, it continued restarting over and over again, replicating itself over a dozen times before I had no choice but to restart into OS 9.1.

Can someone send me their copy of Localized.rsrc?

[email protected]

thanks!

PinheadJ
Mar 30, 2001, 03:51 PM

I stopped using the Mac OS 9 Apple menu when I found "Alias Menu" (great program) so at the moment (in between 9 and X) i just put my AliasMenu Items folder in the dock so I can access all my favorites in submenus.
Nice to know I can get rid of the "Get Mac OS X Software" button though.
How about they "Buy Fonts" one?

Forum Links
Forum Rules