Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IBM (8mb cache) v. Toshiba (16mb cache) HD...

IBM (8mb cache) v. Toshiba (16mb cache) HD...
TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 11:37 AM

I was considering getting an external HD for backups, but now I'm thinking about just getting a larger internal (40GB) and and using my original 20GB (Ti500) as a backup.

Apparently, IBM has the 40GB GNX with a fluid bearing + an 8mb cache, which I believe has been on the market for while. OTOH, Toshiba has a new 40GB GAX which also has a fluid bearing + a 16mb cache.

So, I have 2 questions:
(1) Is the 'fluid bearing' new to Toshiba (I would be more reluctant to go with the Toshiba if it is);
(2) Will I notice any difference btwn the 8mb and 16mb cache.

Thanks, for your input as I am really looking to make a purchase soon.

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2002, 12:43 PM

toshiba has the "gas" out almost a couple of months after ibm annoucned it... the former tends to be a little bit cheaper than the latter according to my past price-watching, a little more MB/$...

but of course, the japs have this nasty practice of making its drives incompatible with macs via firmware... if you get one of those toshibas with OEM number like HDD####F or L, you are SOL, cuz they will either never be recognized by your pb or will be usable but not bootable, and unlike a few years ago, toshiba drive support now steadfastly refuses to exchange those drives for a mac-compatible one (P, Q, A, B, C...)

TonyRado  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 02:42 PM

Wow, thanks for the info on the Toshibas. Well, I have it narrowed to the following drives:

IBM Travelstar 40GNX ($155); or
IBM Deskstar 120GXP ($140)

I'll need to get a separate fw enclosure for whichever I choose. Both drives should provide me with the backup capablities that I need (at least initially).

I guess it has become a choice btwn what I need/want MORE: (a) Upgrading my 'internal' HD (w/ the 40GB TravelStar - but then I don't know what I'll do when the data on my internal drive exceeds that of my backup device a.k.a. my existing HD); or (b) having enough storage capacity to cover me for the next few years (during which time I hope to purchase a digital camera)...

Bah! What to do...

urrl5201
Sep 6, 2002, 04:32 PM

I remember reading in Barefeats that the IBM 8 MB is faster than the 16 MB. You might want to check that.

http://barefeats.com/fire32.html

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 04:54 PM

Recently, I read the Titanium email list from themacintoshguy.com and noticed that many TiBook users bought the 40GB IBM Travelstar 40GNX from GoogleGear. They are very happy with the drive. They also used this 40GB GNX drive to compare with the 60GB Travelstar as well. They are both running at 5,400RPM, but one with 2MB cache and one with 8MB cache.

I saw you were talking about 3.5" HDD as well, I don't suggest IBM and Maxtor brands. My IBM Deskstar 120GXP 40GB is started to make weird noise after a week of usage and being of next month Maxtor desktop line HDD will offer only 1-yr limied warranty. I just bought the Western Digital 120GB (8MB cache) HDD and I'm very happy with it.

If you travel alot, I think a bigger internal HDD is a best way to go. Meanwhile, if you use your PowerBook as a desktop replacement, a firewire HDD would be fine.

Kenneth

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2002, 03:18 AM

The 120-gigabyte Western Digital drive with 8 megabytes of cache is one of the loudest drives on the market. I have one. I love the performance, but I hate the noise...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by legionare:
but of course, the japs have this nasty practice
What is this, WWII?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2002, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
The 120-gigabyte Western Digital drive with 8 megabytes of cache is one of the loudest drives on the market. I have one. I love the performance, but I hate the noise...
Sorry for being OT here, but my WD 1200JB drive is very quiet out from the box. May be you should call WD for a replacement. My 40GB IBM 120GXP Deskstar was noisy on the first day, I called IBM and they have my defected HDD replaced. Just that simple.

Kenneth

haunebu
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by wataru:

What is this, WWII?

Uh-oh, the thought police are here!

I just knew some overly-sensitive jerk would make a snide remark...

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 01:31 PM

I've used toshiba drives in macs before, and they worked out fine. I wouldn't be too worried, but you might check toshiba's site or buy from someplace that has an easy and no-hassle return policy for incompatible products.

but maybe toshiba has changed and aren't as mac-friendly.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:

Sorry for being OT here, but my WD 1200JB drive is very quiet out from the box. May be you should call WD for a replacement. My 40GB IBM 120GXP Deskstar was noisy on the first day, I called IBM and they have my defected HDD replaced. Just that simple.

Kenneth
Agreed. Mine's really quiet too.
Backup your Backup

milhous
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 11:50 PM

Tony:

I suggest for maximum portability you get the TravelStar drive with the firewire enclosure. The only reason being is that you'll be able to power the TravelStar drive directly off the firewire bus instead of the desktop drives, which you'll have to plug into the wall everytime you want to use it.
F = ma

TonyRado  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2002, 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the input. I ordered the 40GB Travelstar GNX last night from googlegear. fwiw, the price actually went up $5 from Friday. Anyway, I figured that it wouldn't make sense for me to have a 20GB and a 120GB drive as eventually I'd be in the same position that I'm in now - I'd have all my data on the 120GB drive and not have it backed up. So, I'm thinking that eventually I'll need another 40GB. I'll decided later whether it'll be internal or external, but I'm looking forward to the GNX.

Forum Links
Forum Rules