Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird DNS problem w/ Airport?

Weird DNS problem w/ Airport?
melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2002, 02:18 PM

Hey all,
I am using a 500mHz Ibook running 10.2.1 and an airport card on my office lan. The office lan works perfectly, and on my ibook i was on ichat, and was able to browse the internet. all of a sudden, i can't connect to websites because it doesn't resolve the name to the ip. but if i go into the terminal and type nslookup and then type the website, that resolves, so clearly DNS works. But then I try ping www.yahoo.com it doesn't work. It just sporadically happens and the only way to fix it is if i shut off the airport and re-start it. Any ideas why this is happening.

Sincerely,
Mel

Quinn
Sep 25, 2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by melman101:
Hey all,
I am using a 500mHz Ibook running 10.2.1 and an airport card on my office lan. The office lan works perfectly, and on my ibook i was on ichat, and was able to browse the internet. all of a sudden, i can't connect to websites because it doesn't resolve the name to the ip. but if i go into the terminal and type nslookup and then type the website, that resolves, so clearly DNS works. But then I try ping www.yahoo.com it doesn't work. It just sporadically happens and the only way to fix it is if i shut off the airport and re-start it. Any ideas why this is happening.

Sincerely,
Mel
Have you got the DNS server in the airport networks prefs? I know you have to do this if you manually assign an ip address.

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2002, 07:12 PM

If you're using a snow base station, make sure it's updated to Firmware 4.0.6. Rendezvous can make earlier firmware revs fall over.

Don't know if this is appropriate for you since you just say "shut off the airport and restart it" without being clear whether you mean the airport *card* or the *base station* when you say 'airport', but this is worth a try.

Fraser
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

melman101  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2002, 08:40 PM

Sorry i didn't clarify lol! It's a Belkin 2.4ghz wireless station, not apple base station although thats what they should get LOL! I didnt put it in, but thats a good idea about entering the DNS server in the spot! ill try that tomorrow. thanks

Mel

Forum Links
Forum Rules