Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Omfg No!!!!!!!!

Omfg No!!!!!!!! (Page 2)
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Apparently it was just all a HOAX... http://www.overclockers.com/tips1133/
As I've been saying from day 1.

You all bought his bait .....
As they said on Wayne's World "fished in......" (making hook with my pinkie and yanking it in my mouth) .. it really is much better visually.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by driven:
As I've been saying from day 1.

You all bought his bait .....
As they said on Wayne's World "fished in......" (making hook with my pinkie and yanking it in my mouth) .. it really is much better visually.
Who knows, he may just be saying that so the hate mail stops.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 05:12 PM

Again ... I don't think this is real, but assuming it is then I think the kids parents would very much disagree with your point of view on this topic.
It turns out to be a hoax but why would any parent agree to beat someone. My point was that many posts were assailing this kid and some said he should have been beaten (one with a 2x4)

and you said that a parent would disagree that people are being to harsh. All right...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
It turns out to be a hoax but why would any parent agree to beat someone. My point was that many posts were assailing this kid and some said he should have been beaten (one with a 2x4)

and you said that a parent would disagree that people are being to harsh. All right...
I never said to beat the kid with a 2x4. (Re-read what I wrote).

You said it's the kids machine to do with what he wants. I said I think his parents would disagree.

Please tell me where I said that the kid should be physically hurt?

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 06:06 PM

If that's the case, which makes sense...

I wish I had a g5 case to put my quicksilver in! O_o
Aloha

krassy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 06:11 PM

imagine that family - invited of some friends - when one of their friends suddenly starts talking about his new mac and that he's got some minor problems in setting his new machine up: "i've got it up in my room, you can have a look at it if you want to help me out on that..."

the proud father stands up and says: "well, we've bought our son a mac for christmas. he for sure knows how to handle that problem. he's been playing around with his mac for a while now... c'mon, son! we'll have a look at this... " son (getting a green-case-modded-face): "*grgs*"

*loooooooooooooooooool*

indigoimac
Senior User
Jan 30, 2004, 07:33 PM

I have a minimal problem with putting a pc in a g5 case but WHY IN ALL EARTHLY CREATION MUST THE MOD LOOK LIKE S**T?
WHY?

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:

Believe it or not... I think most people were exaggerating.

But I wasn't. If he were my kid, and had ruined a $3,000 gift, in all honesty I would punch the ****er.

Call me cruel, I don't care. I'd rather smack the kid around and have him never do something that stupid again than let him do what he wants without thinking and without punishment for the rest of his life.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Jan 30, 2004 at 07:54 PM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

El_Chupacabra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 07:54 PM

I like these two paragraphs from the updated article:

" There are an amazing number of people who are emotionally attached to inanimate objects such as computers. Mac fans seem to be much worse that I ever expected. The G5 is amazing, I would never dream of really doing that "

"What fascinates me is the overwhelming reaction among the Apple community. I have read about the zeal among Mac users, but the reaction to this story is a real eye-opener. I hope Andy's confession soothes those who felt so strongly about gutting a perfectly good G5."

Personally, I feel that its mind boggling that people get "emotionally attached to inanimate objects such as computers" as the kid said.
And wishing physical pain on a human being for modifying a computer???

El_Chupacabra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Believe it or not... I think most people were exaggerating.

But I wasn't. If he were my kid, and had ruined a $3,000 gift, in all honesty I would punch the ****er.

Call me cruel, I don't care. I'd rather smack the kid around and have him never do something that stupid again than let him do what he wants without thinking and without punishment for the rest of his life.
I won�t call you cruel, I would call you a coward and an abuser. And if I was anywhere near and saw you do it, I would call the cops. And I would try to refrain from smacking you also.
I don't think you have kids and I hope you never reproduce. Parents do NOT hit their children.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2004, 08:52 PM

Oh please... You act like we're talking about an 8 year old.

This guy is most likely nearing the end of high school. Hes old enough for a pop.

But I agree, you do not hit 'children'. And hitting a child is a cowardly action. This guy is not a child though.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

hostvisions
Jan 30, 2004, 09:40 PM

Sorry, and at the risk of getting kicked, you sir apparently don't have kids. Even if MY kid did this, I wouldn't 'punch the ****er as you suggest.

That comment was not necessary.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by El_Chupacabra:
I won�t call you cruel, I would call you a coward and an abuser. And if I was anywhere near and saw you do it, I would call the cops. And I would try to refrain from smacking you also.
I don't think you have kids and I hope you never reproduce. Parents do NOT hit their children.
We can't teach them consequences for their actions now can we???? That would be so 1950s.

El_Chupacabra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2004, 12:35 AM

We can't teach them consequences for their actions now can we???? That would be so 1950s.
There are much better ways to teach than through violence. You can try with dialogue and example.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2004, 01:38 AM

Go away hippies. Quit ruining the thread.

...Back on topic:

I wonder how it would even be possible to obtain a G5 case?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 04:20 AM

Well, glad that is over and cleared. Now people can go back to their own business and get out of their depression.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 07:15 AM

If it was a hoax, why saw a hole in the back of the case for that ugly peripheral box?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
If it was a hoax, why saw a hole in the back of the case for that ugly peripheral box?
Did you read his article?
He got a G5 case ... not a full G5. He cut up an empty G5 case.

The pics are real ... but there wasn't any G5 guts in it when he got it.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan

I wonder how it would even be possible to obtain a G5 case?.
Precisely. Someone else must have done something with everything that was inside the case. Which sort of puts us back to square one.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2004, 08:55 PM

Even if this thing was real, it can't top the lengths I'll go to get acceptable framerates.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2004, 09:29 PM

Well, at least it looks decent.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by pooka:
Even if this thing was real, it can't top the lengths I'll go to get acceptable framerates.
I love it!!!! :-)

Ok, let me slip into the role of the stereotypical Mac owner:
"DID YOU REALLY GUT YOUR G5 TO TAKE THOSE PICTURES? DON'T YOU KNOW THAT THE XBOX WOULD HAVE WORKED WITHOUT GUTTING YOUR G5????"

Man ... if you were my kid then I'd have to give you a good talking to! If you didn't listen I'd have to threaten you with ... more talking.

LOL

-Q-
Feb 1, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
Precisely. Someone else must have done something with everything that was inside the case. Which sort of puts us back to square one.
Actually, the case is a dealer replaceable part so if you could find a dealer who was willing to order the case for you, you might be able to get a hold of one. I mentioned this thread to a friend that workds as a dealer here in town and he gave me that info.

So now I"m wondering if it can be done. I've always wanted to build my own PC....

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2004, 06:53 AM

I think the mac bashing that happened in the site's forum was more disgusting.
Aloha

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by -Q-

Actually, the case is a dealer replaceable part so if you could find a dealer who was willing to order the case for you, you might be able to get a hold of one. I mentioned this thread to a friend that workds as a dealer here in town and he gave me that info.
Did you get an approximate price for the case? I would expect that it would be very expensive. I doubt Apple would let one go for even as little as $250-$300.

-Q-
Feb 1, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
Did you get an approximate price for the case? I would expect that it would be very expensive. I doubt Apple would let one go for even as little as $250-$300.
My buddy thought they went for about $500. Definitely not a impulse buy...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by pooka:
Fake. While the xbox-mobo-in-the-G5 shot is a decent photoshop job, the lack of any actual pictures of the disembodied G5 motherboard makes me suspicious.


Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 12:18 AM

I think it would be fun to put a PC in a G5 case. I would put lights in the case so it projected the grate pattern on the wall. Then I would sell the computer on eBay. I would say "Computer For Sale", and then put that I was selling a computer I found behind a CompUSA or something. Yeah, it's unethical, but it's fun.

I would like to get a G5 Case though, or an XServe case.

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 04:05 PM

Actually, the Xbox in the G5 is not fake. That is real, I have a friend that knows the person that made it
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

pooka
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Vash:
Actually, the Xbox in the G5 is not fake. That is real, I have a friend that knows the person that made it
I have a friend that told your friend that it's real.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2004, 08:28 PM

The xbox in G5 is fake. Very fake. Load the image in preview and zoom in on it a bit.
Aloha

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Link:
The xbox in G5 is fake. Very fake. Load the image in preview and zoom in on it a bit.
What is it like to be fake, but not VERY fake?

I always thought it was a true/false evaluation. Now I am learning that there may in fact be subtle graduations between fake and very fake.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2004, 09:25 PM

My guess is that it's a fake.

Here's why: Xbox external dimensions are 11.8" x 7.1"

Dimensions of interior space in G5 that houses the motherboard (I measured mine): 14"x11"

I think the picture of the Xbox's guts were stretched to fill the G5's interior.

pooka
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 10:04 PM

Well... well... how do you know that the picture of the G5 wasn't shrunk to fit the xbox's guts?

It could be one of the original prototype xbox units that were slightly larger than the production run units. Once they removed the debug code from the ROM it allowed them to shave a few inches off the dimensions.

That's pretty impressive that you measured the interior space in your g5 though.

pooka
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Link:
I zoomed in @ 1600%

Still can't tell.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2004, 10:11 PM

...Haha.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

slipjack
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 11:36 AM

Somebody should have shown him VPC.

rofl.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

Forum Links
Forum Rules