Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Transferring iPhoto Libray from one Mac to another - Best way?

Transferring iPhoto Libray from one Mac to another - Best way?
Tennberg
Jun 30, 2004, 04:16 PM

Hi everyone,

What is the best way to transfer a user's iPhoto Library from a 10.2 installation to a 10.3 installation? We are going to be moving our users this year to 10.3 (from 10.2.6/10.2.8) and I want to make sure all their data goes over smoothly.

I tried it on a test user account by first launching iPhoto so it creates the "iPhoto Library" folder, quitting it, dropping the contents of the old library into the new one, and launching iPhoto again. It seemed like only 60% of all photos were there.

Is there a way in iPhoto to export an entire library (including all photos and what not), and then import it back into a new installation?

Thanks for any help!

goose
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 04:50 PM

Not sure, but maybe burning it to a CD (or multiple CDs or a DVD)? Dunno, haven't really done a migration thing. You may be able to install 10.3 over 10.2 using the preserve users and user data l'dat. That may keep the iPhoto library intact.

There's never enough when you have too little

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 06:02 PM

Copy the entire iPhoto library folder over to the Pictures folder on the new 10.3 installation's HD. Then run Disk Utility and repair disk permissions. Lastly launch iPhoto with the Option+Shift keys depressed and follow the instructions to rebuild the library (this is only if the repair disk permissions don't bring all of your images back into the fold). This can take a lot of time depending on the number of files you have in your library. You will end up with two library folders. You can delete the original one once you've ascertained the new one is OK.

If you're updating to iPhoto 4.0.1 also, be sure to run the 4.0.1 updater before launching 4.0. Hope this has been of some help. Good luck.

Tennberg  (op)
Jul 1, 2004, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the tip, old toad. I'll definitely try it out.

One question though: I take it I do the rebuild method on the *first* launch of iPhoto. This way, there will only be the iPhoto library I copied over from the previous installtion, and not an empty iPhoto folder that was created on iPhoto's first launch.

Also, it seems the new library will be called iPhoto Library_1. Once this is created, I can just delete the previous library, and rename this one to iPhoto Library?

Thanks again.

Tennberg  (op)
Jul 1, 2004, 11:29 AM

One other thing: Will iPhoto 4.0.1 be able to rebuild safely/correctly an iPhoto 2.x library, or can rebuilds only be done between the same version?

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules