Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Original 20" Apple Cinema

Original 20" Apple Cinema
Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 08:55 AM

I don't leave my display on for long periods with with windows open. My screen is set to sleep in 15 minutes. Always been this way. Imagine my curiosity when I noticed, after reading mail and replying to several posts, screen burn in of my mail app after I closed the program. I was shocked to see it. I usually dispaly a medium grey screen background.
I have never noticed this before. I would definitely have noticed this had it occured before.
I know LCD's are subject to burn in but I don't use my machine to display static images or apps at any time. This display is 20 months old. I'm worried this could be a sign of unpleasant things to come. I have Apple Care.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2004, 03:59 PM

How long was your mail window open? Has it always been in the same place?

LCD's will "unburn" if you throw a different image at them. Try moving your mail window and wait awhile. I used to have burn-in from the viewer windows in Final Cut Pro. Rearranging them fixed it right up.

If it's happening super-quick though, I don't know what to tell you.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by subego:
How long was your mail window open? Has it always been in the same place?

LCD's will "unburn" if you throw a different image at them. Try moving your mail window and wait awhile. I used to have burn-in from the viewer windows in Final Cut Pro. Rearranging them fixed it right up.

If it's happening super-quick though, I don't know what to tell you.
I'd say my mail app was open for about an hour or so. Apple has a tech document describing a fix. Essentially creating an all white background and letting that burn for the approximate time your app was open to create the shadow in the first place.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2004, 08:07 AM

If it's still in warranty, send it in or Genius Bar it. If it's determined NFG, then it should be repaired without a prob.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 10:44 AM

I've never heard of an LCD getting burn in - might be something else wrong. ( I don't think it's physically possible)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 12:19 PM

My 22" Cinema and 17" Studio do this, too (more so the 22" Cinema). I find that a bright, opaque window or object will leave a "ghost" when removed if there was a lot of contrast between the object and the background/desktop picture. It fades over time.

I try to use non-solid, multi color backgrounds. This tends to make the ghost effect invisible.

Orion, try changing your desktop pattern to something non-solid and not too dark and see if that helps.

bighill
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2004, 03:33 PM

If I leave a stickie in one place for too long it leaves a ghost on my 17" apple LCD. It goes away after a while. When I first saw one I was pretty freaked...

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
I've never heard of an LCD getting burn in - might be something else wrong. ( I don't think it's physically possible)
It's definitely possible. It's just not (usually) permanent.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2004, 08:13 AM

I had the same problem happen to me after setting the clock of my ATi card too high.
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

christopherus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2004, 03:53 AM

I just got my brand new Cinema HD 23" Display yesterday, and guess what: I have shadows (burned) of my windows on a solid grey desktop just from the start, right out of the box!
I called Apple and they will replace it theese days.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 05:53 PM

the three day swap is good to hear ... i'm starting to pay more attention to my lcd now =( *shudder"* good to hear it's not permanant

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules