Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple placement in Blade Trinity

Apple placement in Blade Trinity
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 06:59 AM

I just got back from an advanced screening of Blade Trinity. There was so much Apple product placement in the film that I was embarassed to be a Mac user. One of the main characters fights vampires while listening to her iPod. Before every fight they show her syncing up her music and making playlists. Its annoying how many times she pops the earbuds in. On top of that there are Mac computers everywhere, and you can even see the OS, dock and all. Add that to the myriad of other product placements and it feels like you are in one 2 hour long commercial.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 07:28 AM

welcome to Hollywood!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 10:16 AM

Can't possibly be as bad as i,Robot..

videian28
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 10:25 AM

was it a good movie?

videian28
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 10:40 AM

bah double post

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
bah double post
I never understood how someone can do double posts, with the 30 sec delay between each posting...

-t

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
I never understood how someone can do double posts, with the 30 sec delay between each posting...

-t
If it fails or whatever it actually posts but you think it doesn't so you hit back and post again.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
I just got back from an advanced screening of Blade Trinity. There was so much Apple product placement in the film that I was embarassed to be a Mac user. One of the main characters fights vampires while listening to her iPod. Before every fight they show her syncing up her music and making playlists. Its annoying how many times she pops the earbuds in. On top of that there are Mac computers everywhere, and you can even see the OS, dock and all. Add that to the myriad of other product placements and it feels like you are in one 2 hour long commercial.
Don't mind that. Product placement is always a big thing and if the product is nice looking all the better.

Without spoilers, good movie? Better than the last two? Worse? Why?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 11:43 AM

Is the movie good though?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 01:20 PM

IS IT A GOOD MOVIE THOUGH?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 8, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Is the movie good though?
Apparently not so good.

Blade II wasn't so great either, but in high-def on TV last night it looked pretty nice.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Apparently not so good.

Blade II wasn't so great either, but in high-def on TV last night it looked pretty nice.
I liked 2 better than the 1st one. At any rate I am going to see it Saturday.

The high def broadcast last night didn't look any better than my DVD. I think all they do is get the DVD and broadcast that with some up-converters, not actually get a pure high-def sample of the movie.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 8, 2004, 01:43 PM

I liked 2 better than the 1st one.
Bah, I like the original Blade better by a long shot. In fact, I think the opening blood shower scene is one of the coolest action scenes of all time.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 01:50 PM

Jessica Biel. Yummy.

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 02:00 PM

Kris Kristofferson. Yummy.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 02:10 PM

Kris Kristofferson. Yummy.

Well at least you're following your politics and not being ageist.

Sequels almost always suck unless there's some totty to look at.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 02:19 PM

For what it's worth, I read (some years ago) that Apple doesn't actively pursue product placement. They receive many requests from TV/film production units requesting Apple 'donate' products, but Apple will only sell them a product or lend them a product, not give, like most other companies. Despite this many producers still prefer to use Apple products in their projects, mostly for asthetic reasons (although some will obscure the Apple logo).

Like I said, this was Apple policy for a long time, but it might have changed now that Jobs is a Hollywood 'playa.'

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2004, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Jessica Biel. Yummy.
iPod. Yummy.

-t

Fothb
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2004, 02:57 PM

My friend loves the Blade films, but I think that they are horribly cheesy. I prefer Underworld which despite some of its own flaws, I still condider to be better than the Blade films. Anyhow, my friend and I were in Best Buy looking at the new release table, and I noticed a Blade/Blade2 double-pack. On the front of the packaging in a big font were the words "Two Great Movies!". So I pretended to get all excited in the store and to embarass my friend I exclaimed, "Two great movies!?!? What else is included in here besides the Blade films????"
There's a splinter in your eye and it reads "react".

Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Fothb:
So I pretended to get all excited in the store and to embarass my friend I exclaimed, "Two great movies!?!? What else is included in here besides the Blade films????"
you're just a great big old comedian aren't you

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
Can't possibly be as bad as i,Robot..
AW HELL NAW
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 04:03 PM

For me I think it's great. Yes it's like a cheap ad but I think the more people see of Apple Products the better it is for Apple. I'm also one to blurt out "hey they're using a such and such Mac."
( Last edited by typoon; Dec 8, 2004 at 05:13 PM. )
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Sequels almost always suck unless there's some totty to look at.
enter Jessica Beil.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 07:36 PM

I wasn't going to talk about the movie until more people had a chance to see it, so this is forewarning to any serious Blade fans- skip my post because I am giving opinions.

That being said, I was at a "heckler screening". So the people I went to see the film with were mainly there to make fun of it. Being a Marvel comic fan, I was still looking foward to the actual film. I can't say if this was a good movie or not, but I will certainly say that the first two were better. Better action scenes, better story, better characters. I can understand why Snipes was upset with the handling of his series- the WB kids don't belong. Van Wylder had a few funny moments, but I think they would been better handled by Jason Lee. The plot was stupid and straightfoward. Dracula's character had no depth and was simply a plot device to give the characters purpose. Blade 2 was the best in the series, in my opinion (although the blood rave in the begining of #1 was incredible). I don't know if I am going to buy this DVD to complete my collection of the trilogy.

At least the guys heckling the film were incredibly funny.

My website

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by brapper:
enter Jessica Beil.
Biel.

And yes, she's ungodly easy on the eyes.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 8, 2004, 08:01 PM

The iPod has become a society whore. Some kind of symbol rather then a music player. Almost everyone is hawking iPods, you can't turn around without hearing... ".. AND a FREE iPod!" or .."Get the HOT new iPod for just 99 dollars when you buy 'insert sh1tty product here'

Sometimes I think I'd be better off without one.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:
The iPod has become a society whore. Some kind of symbol rather then a music player. Almost everyone is hawking iPods, you can't turn around without hearing... ".. AND a FREE iPod!" or .."Get the HOT new iPod for just 99 dollars when you buy 'insert sh1tty product here'

Exactly- because as soon as it become untrendy Apple is going to be back to where it was 4 3 years ago.

My website

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Dec 8, 2004, 08:46 PM

Saw it yesterday...I know it's a comic book movie, but I thought the plot was contrived and the characters so overact. There was no real character development. Blade 2 is the best in the series, IMO. There is a lot of action, though the fight sequences were also not as good as in Blade 2. Especially where Van Wylder is trying to kick Vampire butt.

For the Apple placement, I did notice that both vampires and the new generation of vampire hunters use macs, but the cops and Blade/Whistler use PeeCee's.

Won't say anything else about the movie, so I don't spoil it, but I think it's worth it for a weekend movie.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2004, 09:36 AM

Saw it last night and I liked it. Very entertaining, along with the actino, effects as well as some thrown in comedyic one liners.

Don't know about you guys, but being an Apple fan, I was proud seeing our stuff up there. They only showed the iPod itself once, but some iTunes placement each time Jessica synced. Nice G5's w/ Cinemas used all around.

So anyone who was embarassed by this must really not like the series 24, as that has abouit 5 times more placement than BT.

T'was good for me, but to each his own...
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Bah, I like the original Blade better by a long shot. In fact, I think the opening blood shower scene is one of the coolest action scenes of all time.
Yeh its V cool, is the music prodigy or NIN?

I having trouble remembering.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by mrchin:
Saw it last night and I liked it. Very entertaining, along with the actino, effects as well as some thrown in comedyic one liners.

Don't know about you guys, but being an Apple fan, I was proud seeing our stuff up there. They only showed the iPod itself once, but some iTunes placement each time Jessica synced. Nice G5's w/ Cinemas used all around.

So anyone who was embarassed by this must really not like the series 24, as that has abouit 5 times more placement than BT.

T'was good for me, but to each his own...
It was embarassing cuz I was with group of hecklers that called out every bit of product placement (from the count chocula to the vehicles) and the most frequent thing they called out was the apple products. the thing where jessica kept poppin the iPod buds in her ears as she fought was pretty damn cheesy. But then again, the movie became cheesy once they introduced the WB characters. i didn't see previews, so I had no idea they would be there. as far as 24 is concerned, do you think that there are more product placements per minute than blade? If you don't compare along those lines, it isn't a fair comparison.

My website

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2004, 03:00 AM

Saw it today, loved the last 2 blades but 3 was very bad. Poor opening, poor costumes, bad junkie sets, horrible story, poor action scenes most of all BORING!

Parker was cool but she looked like crap.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2004, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:

Heh, at the Apple Store last week a girl came up to me and asked me to tell her a bit about the iPod so I gave her a complete demo of the product. She then responded with "wow, that is really cool. thanks for the demo. I asked for one for Christmas but I had no idea what it was."

It is a social icon.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Heh, at the Apple Store last week a girl came up to me and asked me to tell her a bit about the iPod so I gave her a complete demo of the product. She then responded with "wow, that is really cool. thanks for the demo. I asked for one for Christmas but I had no idea what it was."

It is a social icon.
LMAO- that's a great story. Alarming, but in a good way.

My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules