Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > System Keychain

System Keychain
m.brown
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2005, 12:07 PM

Can anyone tell me what the "System" Keychain is used for?

On my machines the only thing stored in it is my Airport network password. When I tried to view the password stored in it my keychain password did not work - it stated the password was incorrect. As I needed to change the Airport Network password I deleted the "System" keychain and it stored the new password in my "Login" keychain (as I could not delete the Airport Network password).

So - does this matter and do I need a "System" keychain? If so, can I just create a new keychain called "System" and save it to ~/Library/Keychains?

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 12:21 PM

Changing your keychain password
You can change the password for your keychain at any time. However, if you want your default keychain to be unlocked automatically when you log in, make sure your keychain password is the same as your Mac OS X login password.

If your Mac OS X login password is not the same as your default keychain password, you'll be asked for the password whenever an application needs access to your keychain and your keychain is locked.

Open Keychain Access and select the keychain in the Keychains list (click Show Keychains if the list is not open).
Choose Edit > "Change Password for Keychain 'login'." (The name of the keychain in the menu matches the name of the selected keychain. If you selected the keychain that unlocks when you log in, the name you see is "login.")
If the keychain is locked, type the password to unlock it.
Type the current password for this keychain.
Type a new password, then type it again to verify.
Click OK.
You can use Password Assistant to help you choose a new password. Click the key button to the right of the Password field to see how secure your new password is.

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 12:23 PM

Creating a keychain
When you set up a user account in Mac OS X using the Accounts preferences pane, a keychain with the same password is automatically created the first time the user logs in to the computer. This keychain is the user's default keychain. When the user creates passwords for servers or applications, the passwords are added to this keychain. You may want to create an additional keychain for personal use that isn't automatically unlocked when you log in to your user account. For example, you can create a "top secret" keychain to store notes, financial information, and any other items you want to store securely.

Open Keychain Access, located in Applications/Utilities.
Choose File > New Keychain.
Type a name and choose a location for the keychain, then click Create.
Type a password for the keychain. For help in choosing a good password, click the key button to the right of the Password field to open the Password Assistant.
To make the new keychain your default keychain, click Show Keychains, select your new keychain from the list, and choose File > Make Keychain (new keychain name) Default.
New keychains are set to lock automatically. To change this setting, select the keychain in the Keychains list and choose Edit > "Change Settings for Keychain (new keychain name)."

m.brown  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Barry
Changing your keychain password
You can change the password for your keychain at any time. However, if you want your default keychain to be unlocked automatically when you log in, make sure your keychain password is the same as your Mac OS X login password.

If your Mac OS X login password is not the same as your default keychain password, you'll be asked for the password whenever an application needs access to your keychain and your keychain is locked.

Open Keychain Access and select the keychain in the Keychains list (click Show Keychains if the list is not open).
Choose Edit > "Change Password for Keychain 'login'." (The name of the keychain in the menu matches the name of the selected keychain. If you selected the keychain that unlocks when you log in, the name you see is "login.")
If the keychain is locked, type the password to unlock it.
Type the current password for this keychain.
Type a new password, then type it again to verify.
Click OK.
You can use Password Assistant to help you choose a new password. Click the key button to the right of the Password field to see how secure your new password is.
Thanks but I know this about keychain etc., but what is unclear is what the System keychain is for when only my Airport Network Password was stored in it. Furthermore, even though my Mac OS X login and Keychain password were the same why would the System keychain not recognise my password?

Barry
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 03:00 PM

trashing that keychain is no big deal. you can recreate it if you want. Try running keychain first aid in the keychain app.... Sounds like the "system" keychain wasn't for the computer system, but something else

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 04:56 PM

I have the same problem as m.brown with my System keychain. If you change your Airport password, it will get updated so something in the system knows how to access it. I've tried my administrator and root passwords, and neither one will unlock it.

m.brown  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by m.brown
Can anyone tell me what the "System" Keychain is used for?

On my machines the only thing stored in it is my Airport network password. When I tried to view the password stored in it my keychain password did not work - it stated the password was incorrect. As I needed to change the Airport Network password I deleted the "System" keychain and it stored the new password in my "Login" keychain (as I could not delete the Airport Network password).

So - does this matter and do I need a "System" keychain? If so, can I just create a new keychain called "System" and save it to ~/Library/Keychains?
From ADC:

system keychain
A keychain that belongs to the system as a whole, rather than to a particular user. System keychains are usually used by system daemons and services, but can also be accessed by applications on behalf of users. One system keychain, named System.keychain, is created by the system and added by default to every user’s keychain list.

So does this explain why I can't access passwords stored in it using my Admin password?

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 02:59 AM

From ADC:

system keychain
A keychain that belongs to the system as a whole, rather than to a particular user. System keychains are usually used by system daemons and services, but can also be accessed by applications on behalf of users. One system keychain, named System.keychain, is created by the system and added by default to every user’s keychain list.

So does this explain why I can't access passwords stored in it using my Admin password?
Today, this "System.keychain" popped up for the very first time here; I'd never seen or used it before. This happened after a reboot (installing Apple Security Update 2005-008).

Strange.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 07:02 PM

Hi.
Last weekend I upgraded my hard drive and rebuilt my new drive setup, then transferred over all my files and so forth from the old hard drive. However, I have one last hiccup, which is that the wireless access point password @ work has a WEP password, which I typed in long ago and saved on a keychain. So far so good. However, now the problem is I can't get the password to "sync" with the new network setting box. It keeps asking for the password for "keychain.system" which I don't understand. This is MY Mac, so all the passwords on it are largely the same, but the login one didn't change, and I don't understand what it's looking for. If I can give it this "system" password, I can then view the password on the keychain in Keychain Access and then re-enter it into the network setup.

Anyone have any ideas? Any terminal tricks or anything which would allow me to regain access to this last mystery password? My backup plan is having the IT department come by and re-enter it, but they're backlogged about "7-10 business days" apparently, so I'm hoping I can restore it quicker than that.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I can be directly contacted at: [email protected] as well. Thanks.

Best wishes,
J.Melrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jmelrose
However, I have one last hiccup, which is that the wireless access point password @ work has a WEP password, which I typed in long ago and saved on a keychain. So far so good. However, now the problem is I can't get the password to "sync" with the new network setting box. It keeps asking for the password for "keychain.system" which I don't understand.
The keychain.system asking for some unnkown password (to be bale to open a WEP password) went away after I rebooted here; haven't seen it since.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

real
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 04:41 PM

Same problem here After the update everytime I reboot I have the keychain dialog

passwords are wrong

any thoughts
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by workerbee
Today, this "System.keychain" popped up for the very first time here; I'd never seen or used it before. This happened after a reboot (installing Apple Security Update 2005-008).

Strange.
It seems the Security Update did something to the System Keychain, but make no mistake, it was present long before then as well.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

real
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2005, 07:17 PM

Of course it was there but now it shows its head everytime I reboot which granted is not very much but still. Also the password is invalid. Something got messed up
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 08:47 AM

Same problem here...first on my Quicksilver, now on my 12" PB. Asks for a password everytime I boot, but no password seems correct.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
Same problem here...first on my Quicksilver, now on my 12" PB. Asks for a password everytime I boot, but no password seems correct.
I'm getting the same thing. Any solution to this?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

m.brown  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Toyin
I'm getting the same thing. Any solution to this?
Yes, I deleted the entry under the system keychain and created my airport entry in my login keychain. Problem solved (for me at least).

pim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2005, 06:26 AM

can you please explain how you did this, I can not find the system keychain anywhwere

thanks

P

m.brown  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by pim
can you please explain how you did this, I can not find the system keychain anywhwere

thanks

P
Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access. The keychains are listed in the upper left hand panel.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2005, 10:09 AM

They may night be listed by default. It'll just show different passwords and settings. Just click the show keychains button at lower left corner. Then you'll get the payne of available keychains. Repairing them didn't work for me. I just deleted my WEP passworded network. Next time logging on, I just stored the password again and now it's in my login keychain.

So far, so good.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 01:24 PM

I am leery of deleting some sort of "system keychain" that is maybe expected for different users. I got the same message "Mac OS X wants to use keychain 'System' " on the first reboot after applying the iTune 5 => 6 update and the Quicktime 7.03 update (haven't updated to 10.4.3 yet from 10.4.2). I simply hit "Cancel" and rebooted again and have not seen that message again.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2005, 03:47 PM

You have to be logged in as an admin to open the system keychain. FWIW.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Toyin
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 08:13 PM

Yes, I deleted the entry under the system keychain and created my airport entry in my login keychain. Problem solved (for me at least).
This seems to work so far, but I noticed that the system keychain for my airport reappeared in system. So it exists in system and login. No problems though, thanx.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Links
Forum Rules