Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 5 & AirPort Express.

iTunes 5 & AirPort Express.
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 04:32 PM

Is it me or does the music stutter/cut out a LOT more than with 4.9? I rarely had stuttering problems when the music was streaming over AirTunes. With 5, my music is constantly stuttering and even entirely dropping off, especially while doing other network-related things.

inkhead
Senior User
Sep 9, 2005, 06:20 PM

Hmm that's related to the network, have you changed any network settings, I doubt that iTunes 5 did this.

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 08:58 PM

Nope. Network settings weren't changed one bit.

insha
Senior User
Sep 10, 2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Is it me or does the music stutter/cut out a LOT more than with 4.9? I rarely had stuttering problems when the music was streaming over AirTunes. With 5, my music is constantly stuttering and even entirely dropping off, especially while doing other network-related things.
I have the same problem, well almost the same problem. The music does not stutter, but it pauses and then continues when stream songs to Airport Express; but I had this problem with iTunes 4 too.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2005, 11:40 AM

Not seeing it hereā€¦

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2005, 12:11 PM

No such problems here either.
Playback from iTunes to AirPort Express is smooth as always!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2005, 12:44 PM

I actually had stuttering problems with 4.9 that have disappeared in 5.0. But I think the problem is completely unrelated. When the internet here goes down, my Airport Express obviously loses it's connection and goes into "blinking yellow light" mode. While in that mode, sometimes it will seem to spontaneously freeze (it skips a blink), stop receiving audio, and then unfreeze itself and continute playing a few seconds later. The internet just hasn't gone down since I installed iTunes 5.

Conclusion: iTunes 5 fixed the internet

kaz7777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 08:36 PM

I'm having the exact same problem. I had no trouble with buffer under-run in 4.9. I have full signal strength as my AE is 5' from my computer. Also I have no trouble streaming from Real Player/Air foil. Also my Buffer in iTunes 5 is set to "large." the only thing that is different is the installation of iTunes 5.

jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 10:37 PM

Not seeing (hearing) any problems here. I had it streaming for over 8 hours today without a single stutter.
-- Jason

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006, 08:08 AM

Old thread, but new issue fo me. Quicktime 7.1, iTunes 6.0.4, streaming Airtunes over express unlistenable pausing to buffer. Happens in iTunes as well asa Connect360 to XBOX. No network changes. Deleted prefs an optimized using Onyx. Still has issue. Same issue sin QT 7.0.x before. Using Dual 2x2.0GHz G5. Only thing I can think of is 128 bit WEP encryption but that was always on before.

Anyone?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

rozwado1
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 07:19 PM

I had that stuttering problem and I almost sold the thing, until I played around with the network settings on my router and setup my AExp as a WDS in the Airport setup utility. Works flawlessly now.

I think there's a couple of threads about the WDS settings on here.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006, 09:54 AM

MY tower still has this issue. Using iTunes 6.0.4. Router and my Express have no issues. I used my MBP to stream through airport and it was perfect. G5 still has an issue. I'm thinking the next thing may be something with fragmentation of files on the Powermac. I'll test a new user. Hopefully it's not an archive install or erase. I don't want to redo everything.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Forum Links
Forum Rules