Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Farewell to AI Forums

Farewell to AI Forums
rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2001, 11:32 PM

Alas, I have removed the AI Forums bookmark from my browser. No server upgrade takes this long unless you have the three monkeys with plastic bats from the Midas commercial doing the work. Nope, they're done. Stick a fork in them, adios, adieu, sayonara. A real shame to see it because there was some great information there and some lively discussions. Man, those guys at the AI Forums hated MOSR even more that the MacNN Forum goers! I guess they'll almost all reside here at MacNN now. Welcome!

------------------

iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2001, 11:38 PM

Hummm? Maybe it's not to late. I loved posting there.

Leonis
Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 12:07 AM

I miss that 2050+ post count I made in AI

------------------
My comic web site
My portfolio web site

I don't use spell checker.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Kestral
Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 02:46 AM

I didn't have 2050 posts but I know that I had substantially more than I have here, and I miss it. Plus, I thought the Photo Of Your Computer Setup thread on AI had more and better pictures.

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2001, 05:15 AM

I mean, what can you say, except WHY?

------------------
In the landscape of Spring, there is neither better nor worse. The flowering branches grow naturally, some long, some short. - ZEN SAYING
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed.

BOB DYLAN - "Things Have Changed"

nealconner
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2001, 08:05 AM

Here lies AI Forums. May they rest in peace.

------------------
We've secretly replaced the Pacific Ocean with Folgers crystals...

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2001, 12:52 PM

Misha~

Whats going on?
~Peace~

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2001, 12:58 PM

Yeah Kestral, that thread over there had some AMAZING setups... some folks with waaay too much money posted over there.

I think I was at 580 or something... oh well, I don't care about the post count as much as the forums themselves. Not that this place is all bad, it just had a different feeling over there.

*sigh*

Kestral
Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
Yeah Kestral, that thread over there had some AMAZING setups... some folks with waaay too much money posted over there.
No kidding!! How about that guy with the IKEA desk/chair and Soundsticks who lived in the Canadian Prairies who had a Pismo, then sold it for a Cube, then sold that for a TiBook, then sold that for an iMac, and then sold that for another computer, all in the space of less than half a year? *grin*

Misha
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2001, 01:23 PM

I've done all I can to try and get the AI forums back up... unfortunately I don't directly handle these matters, so my hands are tied for everything beyond pressing those who can make the necessary changes. Every date that I have been given as to when they will be back up has been missed and, honestly, little progress has been made to get the boards back up, imo.

Members of the AI community who want the forums back up should send an email to [email protected] with the subject "We want AI forums back" or something along those lines... perhaps your voices will be heard better than mine.

Sorry guys.

Kestral
Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 01:28 PM

But seriously, yeah, there were some superschweet setups without a doubt - I'm slowing working on mine but I'm committed to having the best-looking setup of everyone out there! All your setups are belong to me! lol!

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2001, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I think I know that guy you are talking about... LOL! Atleast I sell mine before buying the next one - I met a guy a little while ago who has a couple of iBooks, a B&W G3, just bought a 533MHz G4, and has some older stuff. He buys as much as me, but he keeps them!

Thanks for the email addy Misha, I am going to send an email off. If everyone did that, maybe it would help. As long as we minimize the "bring them back now idiot!" emails...

------------------
[removed at the request of Apple Legal]

wumeng
Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Misha:
I've done all I can to try and get the AI forums back up...
Out of curiosity, what is the origin of the userid "Misha"? In the recent Hannibal novel, Dr Hannibal Lecter's sister went by the name Misha... :?

Misha
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2001, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by wumeng:
Out of curiosity, what is the origin of the userid "Misha"? In the recent Hannibal novel, Dr Hannibal Lecter's sister went by the name Misha... :?
It's my first name... it's Russian for Michael. I've met only one female who has shared the same name; suffice to she was dissapointed to learn that it was guy's name...

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2001, 03:21 PM

A person that goes to my school has the name "Misha"

------------------
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Kestral
Senior User
Apr 16, 2001, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I think I know that guy you are talking about... LOL! Atleast I sell mine before buying the next one - I met a guy a little while ago who has a couple of iBooks, a B&W G3, just bought a 533MHz G4, and has some older stuff. He buys as much as me, but he keeps them!
You know what, since you mentioned it, I don't get how anyone can use more than one computer at once. I've always owned one at one time, I'd be too distracted with all the different system configs to do work on a few different machines - I like using just one machine fine. The other thing is, let's say you have a Powerbook and a Desktop. You could be out and there's a file you need that's on the Desktop so you're stuck - some would say synchronize the file folders. But if that's the case, then what's the point in owning another computer? Why not just buy an external Firewire drive or CD Burner for backup? More than one computer makes no sense to me.

mjpaci
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2001, 03:36 PM

I've known at least 3 Misha's in my 28 years.

1 was a guy on my freshman hall.
1 is a little kid that my GF babysits.
1 is a Croatian woman that is friends with the above 'little kid' Misha's mother.

I've always thought of it as a male name.

--Mike

EDIT: There's an 'r' in Croatian

[This message has been edited by mjpaci (edited 04-16-2001).]

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2001, 04:18 PM

I really miss the AI forums.... I actually miss murbot and applenut talking sh*t about me (well ever since we came to MacNN murbot hasn't, let's hope that continues)... but the good thing is cuz of not having AI I haven't spent as much time online and I haven't worried about my post count (which i really regret doing). All in all though, I want the forums back.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2001, 04:37 PM

You know, this is ridiculous. If they are not bringing them back up then just close it down for good. But if you are bringing them back, then devote the 8 hours (a workday) that it would take to bring them back up.

I really hope this is not because AI has caved in to Apple legal pressure because that would just plain suck.

------------------
~Peace~
~Peace~

Rickag
Apr 16, 2001, 06:24 PM

I miss AI, liked the way the forum categories were set up. Seems like I aimlessly wander from board to board looking for a replacement, but either there is very little posting or the forum categories aren't as good. I am going to be buying a new computer soon, so naturally, I was most interested in the new hardware and software categories.

MacAddict only has a Rumormill category and no one posts.
Macrumors has a new board, but almost no posts.
Here there is no Rumor, or New Hardware category at all.

Well maybe they'll get the boards up and running sometime.

By the way, has anyone seen any Kormac posts anywhere. While, I don't know if he had any actual inside knowledge, his posts generally went off on some very interesting tangents?

Or any one see posts of the latest supposed insider, can't remember his username, that posted information concerning the towers his company was testing and seemed to acurrately predict the specs for the new motherboard?

------------------
Just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.

[This message has been edited by Rickag (edited 04-16-2001).]
Just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.

MacotheIsles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2001, 06:29 PM

I hesitate tae make this suggestion just in case I tempt fate once too often, but - if and when it becomes clear that AI is truly nae mare - could there no' be some kind o memorial or memento struck tae mark its untimely passing? It seems a shame tae see it go oot in such an undignified manner.

For example suitably reverential send-offs might include...

1) A decent burial in a cyber grave yard. Is there a cemetery web site for deid web sites?

2) A medallion be struck up for a' ex members o' AI and emailed tae them, by some proficient designer frae the ranks. Something in Photoshop perhaps wi' each member's name emboss-filtered on. No' forgetting the AI coloured ribbons tae tae add that wee bit gravitas.

3) In conjunction wi' the above that we dress in AI board colours for the entire week, including undergarments and pyjamas.

4) At noon in each member's timezone, on the agreed day o' burial, everybody has wee toast tae the immortal memory and simultaneously discharges whitever household ordinance they possess intae the heavens (rockets, canons, catapults, paper darts, etc).

5) We a' link arms, forming a chain o' shared experience richt roond the world and sing Breaking Up is Hard tae Do, tae the tune o' Auld Lang Syne.

------------------
heedrum ho
heedrum ho

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by EmAn:
I actually miss murbot and applenut talking sh*t about me (well ever since we came to MacNN murbot hasn't, let's hope that continues)
Come on buddy, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this.... I razzed you a few times about padding your post count with your famous "me too" posts, but it was never mean spirited. Man, I'd almost always end it with a or a "just razzin' ya buddy". Don't be so sensitive!

Well, I just realized I did use a derivative of your "FrOm ThE mInD oF EmAn" sig by replacing your name with mine for awhile...

Ah, it's all in fun man.

------------------

[This message has been edited by murbot (edited 04-16-2001).]

AppleNut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 12:07 AM

I really miss the AI forums.... I actually miss murbot and applenut talking sh*t about me (well ever since we came to MacNN murbot hasn't, let's hope that continues)... but the good thing is cuz of not having AI I haven't spent as much time online and I haven't worried about my post count (which i really regret doing). All in all though, I want the forums back.
You started it

Remember when you absolutely flipped out at me?

that's when it started.

I still miss you though

Murbot, nice to see you around.

I hope AI comes back soon or ever. I think I had around 5500 posts there Maybe its a good thing they are down.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2001, 12:48 AM

I very much miss AI. I used to have tons of fun posting mindless BS in AppleOutsider. Plus I needed a good mac UBB where I'm not a moderator and can flame almost at will.

Now with the New Black Panthers going after Bill Clinton the "first black president" I need AppleOutsider more than ever.

[This message has been edited by Scott_H (edited 04-17-2001).]

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2001, 01:15 AM

AI felt like home...well..not home as in anything resembling the place I live, but the boards were a comfortable, familar place that despite all the debates had a plesent vibe. Everybody was familiar with everyone else and we all had a fun time, even when we were bitching at one another.

MacNN...feels like a refugee camp.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2001, 01:28 AM

Hey applenut (you are spelling your name wrong here... ) Wasn't it all lowercase there?

It is strange having more posts than you applenut!!

Just curious, how many other people have sent multiple emails to AI and had them ignored?

------------------

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2001, 01:39 AM

I used to send the rudest email there. Stuff like...

Hey I guess you don't know the boards are down because if you did then I know you would fix them. So now that you know you can fix them. Thanks....

AppleNut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 02:10 AM

Hey applenut (you are spelling your name wrong here... ) Wasn't it all lowercase there?

It is strange having more posts than you applenut!!

Just curious, how many other people have sent multiple emails to AI and had them ignored?

yea. I don't know why I registered it like this way back in 99. it's strange. I kept trying applenut as my username here and it would never work so I registered as applenut1 and I finally realized today that I originally registered as AppleNut. I can't change it either and I can't register applenut. it sucks. I can't stand it.

and not to be rude or anything but the MacNN forums suck in comparison to AI.

gwrjr33
Senior User
Apr 17, 2001, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
MacNN...feels like a refugee camp.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Uh oh, aren't refugee camps breeding grounds for terrrorists?

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2001, 06:52 AM

Hey applenut (you are spelling your name wrong here...
Probably a different nut. This one seems a bit subdued

Then again, maybe it's just the loss of posts=status

------------------
In the landscape of Spring, there is neither better nor worse. The flowering branches grow naturally, some long, some short. - ZEN SAYING

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2001, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by AppleNut:
and not to be rude or anything but the MacNN forums suck in comparison to AI.
Hear, hear!
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2001, 08:29 AM

Hello, tonton

------------------

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2001, 01:02 PM

Its sad the lack of attention they get.
~Peace~

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2001, 01:29 PM

I've been drifting around for a while, too, but I haven't found anything yet.

It's at the point where I'm eyeing the possibility of buying a machine suitable for web service, cutting a deal with my ISP and hosting the goddamn thing myself. Wouldn't be anything fast or fancy, but at least it would work.

------------------
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp
James

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2001, 01:34 PM

Wouldn't be anything fast or fancy, but at least it would work.
That sentence seems to contradict its self.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2001, 02:23 PM

I could care less about either my post count or the computer setup thread. I loved the community and all the wacky dynamics that came along with it. MacNN just doesn't have the same feel. I would be so bold as to compare AppleInsider to Apple and MacNN to Microsoft. One has personality, the other does not.

------------------
Switch the pitch gradually.
It's the devil's way now.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2001, 02:30 PM

Amorph's Insider.

I'd donate $5 to that...

------------------

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2001, 02:31 PM

So only things that are fast or fancy can be said to work?

Damn, and here I was certain that my car was running just fine.

------------------
James

James

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2001, 05:59 PM

Hey if you didn't need fast and fancy you would be working on a PC.

------------------

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2001, 06:16 PM

Scott say:

I very much miss AI. I used to have tons of fun posting mindless BS in AppleOutsider. Plus I needed a good mac UBB where I'm not a moderator and can flame almost at will.

Well, Scott, as a former AI poster myself the moderators at AI always felt free to flame others. Especially Eugene, whose self righteous attacks on anyone he disagrees with was a regular part of the AI experience. I do prefer the moderators tone here at MacNN. You allow free exchanges and when you do let your opinion known its never personal.

Howdy to all recognizable names from the AI boards! I guess we all gave up on AI at the same time. I emailed them at least 3 times about the boards but never received a reply. Guess it was too much work for them. They finally have a news update today and still no mention about the future of the boards! Pretty damn inexcusable if you ask me.

I almost miss the vitriole and bile some of my more political topics would inspire at AI. Go on over to my discussion on immigration and feel free to jump all over me. Or agree with me, which amazingly enough, many folks here have done.............................................. ...............................

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2001, 06:40 PM

murbot countered:

Hey if you didn't need fast and fancy you would be working on a PC.
Actually, my old LC II is still humming along just fine, I here. It's happily serving an old couple in Washington state. It's not fast or fancy either, and it sure ain't a PC, but in its ten years of use it has never failed to work.

Nice try, though.

------------------
James

James

EriMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2001, 08:06 PM

I know message boards aren't the most profitable things in the world, but it is still very disappointing to see the AppleInsider message board and community get abandoned. I know I miss it.

-Eric

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2001, 11:55 PM

AI is down?

(Just kidding. F-Jackie!)
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2001, 12:45 AM

How does the saying go, "Absence make the heart grow fonder"?

One minute EriMac is a moderator. Then he ditches AI on what seemed like unfriendly terms. Now he "misses" AI, even though he's posted there (under his real handle) only a few times since his departure.

He's ready to kiss and make up, but has been abandoned.

By the way, Eric, how's Orange Insider?

MacNN management: kill it or fix it, but give us the truth.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

EriMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 01:00 AM

Actually, I left on good terms with AI and Monish whom I always felt was very helpful and responsive whenever I contacted him. I just left because I felt obligated to check the boards all the time as admin and though I do like AI I needed to spend more time on other things in my life. Nothing bad at all, just a choice of how to spend my free time based on the demands of whatever sorts of things that I happen to be involved with at any given time. I still dropped in AI some, though more to read and with an occasional post in AppleOutsider. But I still like AI and wish it would come back up. Maybe someday. :-)

Kate
Senior User
Apr 18, 2001, 01:06 PM

I think MacNN needed the extra bandwidth and shut down AI subsequently. All those threads about X would have flooded both forums and made neither accessible most of the time.

It would have been a sign of coolness and seriousness if they had announced and admitted that as a fact and detailed the actual need. As it stands now with this foolish "continuing upgrade process..." phrase, it is an insult to the sense of every former member. It should state :" Shut down for extra bandwidth until further notice for the time being", or any other true reason there might be.

BTW hello all fellow exiles!

[This message has been edited by Kate (edited 04-18-2001).]

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2001, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Kate:
As it stands now with this foolish "continuing upgrade process..." phrase, it is an insult to the sense of every former member. It should state :" Shut down for extra bandwidth until further notice for the time being", or any other true reason there might be.[This message has been edited by Kate (edited 04-18-2001).]

Exactly. Keeping that "update" comment on the page is an insult. It pisses off the members and makes them look completely incompetent for taking a month for an "upgrade". Why did they bother to leave a link up there to contact them? I have had all of my emails ignored, all of which were very polite so I know that isn't the problem... Pretty pathetic was of handling it IMO.

------------------

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2001, 05:20 PM

If they needed more banndwith then why couldn't they shut something else down? The AI boards were such a great community. It was like everyone knew everyone else and for the most part everyone wat great. I really got to know a few people pretty well throguh the boards. Hipefully one day they'll be back up and running.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2001, 05:23 PM

Come on buddy, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this.... I razzed you a few times about padding your post count with your famous "me too" posts, but it was never mean spirited. Man, I'd almost always end it with a or a "just razzin' ya buddy". Don't be so sensitive!

Well, I just realized I did use a derivative of your "FrOm ThE mInD oF EmAn" sig by replacing your name with mine for awhile...

Ah, it's all in fun man.
Yeah, I know that... the main thing I got pissed about back then was the whole signature thing, otherwise things were ok and I knew you didn't mean it most of the time. (You notice since the signature thing I haven't used it on any forums)

Edit: I'm an idiot and accidently quoted what i said instead of what murbot said.

[This message has been edited by EmAn (edited 04-18-2001).]

MacotheIsles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 06:23 PM

Kate! The first ray o' sunshine has fallen upon oor upturned, disenfranchised cyberfaces. How are ye?

------------------
heedrum ho
heedrum ho

Forum Links
Forum Rules