Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PCI Graphics Card

PCI Graphics Card
Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 07:50 PM

Hello,

I have a PowerMac 7600/132 that my daughter (6 yrs) uses. It was just given to me, it has a 450mhz G3 upgrade card in it, plus a USB card also. A friend asked if an unused PCI card from his PC would work in the Mac, it's a PNY GeForce 2 MX440 (I think). Kind of a longshot, and maybe a dumb question, but would it work? Are all PCI cards interchangeable? Thanks.

Tom

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Madison:
Hello,

I have a PowerMac 7600/132 that my daughter (6 yrs) uses. It was just given to me, it has a 450mhz G3 upgrade card in it, plus a USB card also. A friend asked if an unused PCI card from his PC would work in the Mac, it's a PNY GeForce 2 MX440 (I think). Kind of a longshot, and maybe a dumb question, but would it work? Are all PCI cards interchangeable? Thanks.

Tom
Most likely it is not usable unless it is a Mac/PC card. Sometimes you can flash a GeForce card from PC to Mac, do a Google search for about 10min and you'll have your answer. Isn't there a built in video? If your daughter isn't doing anything to intense that should be good enough..

Nate

DrBoar
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 09:38 AM

That PCI card will not work (the AGP 2mx card can be flashed to work in both mac and PC but you only have PCI in that 7600).

The 3dfx Voodoo 3 card an be flashed to work in the Mac and it is way faster than the motherboard video. (described at www.xlr8yourmac.com) I know that the Voodoo cards have been sold at computer fairs for 5 dollars or so.

http://www.wegenermedia.com/ati128.htm has both ATI 128 (fast 2D and 3D) and the TwinTurbo (fast 2D but no 3d).

The new ATI 7000 card is more expensive at 100-120 dollars and really not much faster than the AT128 but it offers support for two monitors.

With a 100 MHz CPU the 2D graphics is CPU limited and fast card will not help, alredy with a 200 MHz CPU the motherboard graphics is a limitation and a PCI card will help and with 450 MHz G3 it is a huge limitation in subjective speed of the computer.

I would most definitvely get a card either the ATI 128 or the ATI 7000, scrolling in word, web pages and opening windows in the finder everything will feel faster. A optical USB mouse will be nice as well, now the nobrand ones are wery cheap

Forum Links
Forum Rules