Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Warning: Need Unicode Converter

Warning: Need Unicode Converter
Marianne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 07:13 PM

Yesterday I installed Greeting Card Factory (Mac OSX10.1 or later or Classic OS 9.0 or later) and also a game program on my Power Mac 6500 running 9.1. Both were working fine when I shut down. Today when booting up I get a warning box "The Finder could not start up because the following library could not be found:

Unicode Converter.

To start up, use the CD or floppy disk and came with your computer."
Restart was then only option.

Also the yellow Norton warning box came up right below the warning box stating:
"Norton antivirus Auto Protect did not start up because the Norton Antivirus library file is damaged or missing from the Norton Antivirus additions file."

I am not sure if these two warnings are related or not. I deleted both - the card and the game program and all related files in help and preferences and still get the 'Unicode Converter' message after booting up. In checking the net I found a freeware program called Unicode Converter. However it is for OS 10 only.

One of the two newly installed programs is probably the cause of this problem. Can anyone shed any light on how to fix this?
Marianne
Mac Faithful

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 01:48 AM

Sometimes applications will move things around. I've actually had a somethng similar happen, but I can't remember how I fixed it exactly. Here's a stab in the dark.....(recess of my memory)

Open your system folder, and look inside all the folders that are labled "something(disabled)".....

I think I found that unicode file had been disabled by a program, don't know why....I just dragged it back to the active folder....restart.....no problem.....

If that fails, maybe a clean install will fix'er up....good luck
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Forum Links
Forum Rules