Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 46)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2013, 05:10 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2013, 03:59 PM

Baaaaaahhhhahahahaha

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2013, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Heads-up against a theoretical 720, the PS4 pretty much beats it everywhere. Sony has continued its dedication to making games having the best hardware and free online. MS looks poised to continue to push the 720 as a multimedia machine, but I'm not sure what 'must haves' they could offer even from that perspective. The rumored (and IMO unlikely) inclusion of a DVR is honestly one gen too late in an era of cord cutting.
During Sony's conference, I still came away convinced that Microsoft would develop a lead due to its public acceptance as a multimedia hub, but then I remembered...

PS3 is the most-used Netflix streaming device.

So, besides, ESPN3 (which I was very disappointed to see was absent from Sony's PS4 debut), what exactly has the 360 done to one-up the PS3 as a multimedia device? Nothing.

So the departing generation has come down to the same old point we've rehashed time and time again: it's the online gaming hub — not the multimedia hub. Microsoft's advantage is due to the earlier release and the superior functionality of XBL. If Microsoft one-ups Sony in this department at their announcement in April, it will probably be their most compelling argument to stay in their corner.

Sony has integrated cross-game chat and tried to turn themselves into the Facebook of gaming. I don't know if it will be even mildly successful, but I think XBL's mindshare is strong enough that it would take a colossal disappointment in April for XBox-centric gamers to go in another direction this holiday season. The worry for Microsoft should be that they don't have a year's lead. I still don't think Sony's superior batch of exclusives are going to be enough to sway many people.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2013, 05:49 PM

The tune from Sony's PS4 montage..... Two Steps From Hell - Blackheart

Enjoy!

P
Feb 25, 2013, 10:42 AM

Second, I already hear bitching that move is included on the controller. Does it add to the cost? Will it even be used, or is it this gen's SIXAXIS?
That cost must be minimal, if so. The acceleration chips will be dirt cheap by now as every cheap garbage phone has them, and the rest of move is... a few LEDs? I think it's good that they include it instead of pushing another lollipop as an aftermarket stick.

The rest of the console will be very safe and cheap - with the single exception of that GDDR5 memory. The CPU is a minor update of an existing product. The GPU is either an existing product, or a minor update of one. Bluray should be cheap by now, and so is storage, networking, etc. Motherboard will be the cost of the circuit board for a midrange GPU.

Memory, though... I hope they have some 8 Gbit GDDR5 chips lined up to at least keep the price reasonable.
( Last edited by P; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM. )
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
During Sony's conference, I still came away convinced that Microsoft would develop a lead due to its public acceptance as a multimedia hub, but then I remembered...

PS3 is the most-used Netflix streaming device.
Here's the thing. While its notable that the US platform with less users is the "must used" the article states that the metric being used is hours watched, not unique users.

Now considering a lot of the early adopters for the PS3 weren't exclusively gamers, but a mix including people wanting Blu-ray players (and the smart ones wanting the best Blu-Ray player), it stands to reason that these same people would utilize Netflix a shit ton too (Because, hey, it's not like they're gaming on it).

So, besides, ESPN3 (which I was very disappointed to see was absent from Sony's PS4 debut), what exactly has the 360 done to one-up the PS3 as a multimedia device? Nothing.
Sony loses nothing not including ESPN3. It's been devalued to the point that as a cord cutter there's no mainstream content I can enjoy.

Sony has integrated cross-game chat and tried to turn themselves into the Facebook of gaming. I don't know if it will be even mildly successful, but I think XBL's mindshare is strong enough that it would take a colossal disappointment in April for XBox-centric gamers to go in another direction this holiday season. The worry for Microsoft should be that they don't have a year's lead. I still don't think Sony's superior batch of exclusives are going to be enough to sway many people.
People validly point out that there's question as to whether SOny might hide some of those social features behind the pay-wall.

---

MS event is tentatively scheduled for late April. You can read this one of two ways:
A. They're not threatened by the PS4 at all
B. They need as much time as possible to gussy up the system in light of the Sony 'reveal'.

Part of me wonders if Sony, who had just weeks before stated they were content to go last, might have jumped the gun because Durango will have many of the same social features, so there was merit to be gained in unveiling those features first.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
MS event is tentatively scheduled for late April. You can read this one of two ways:
A. They're not threatened by the PS4 at all
B. They need as much time as possible to gussy up the system in light of the Sony 'reveal'.

Part of me wonders if Sony, who had just weeks before stated they were content to go last, might have jumped the gun because Durango will have many of the same social features, so there was merit to be gained in unveiling those features first.
Microsoft wasn't threatened by Apple's attempted resurgence in the late 90s either.

They might get a little bit of an "Oscars bump" if their reveal is later to the game. It will be fresher in everyone's minds. Actually, it might even be smarter to reveal the Durango at E3, because Sony will have unveiled bit after bit up until that point, and the conference would be completely about their system, and the PS4 would take a back seat.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2013, 09:25 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2013, 11:15 AM

Xbox 360 News: EA: all our games will have micro-transactions - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine

All future EA releases will support micro-transactions, chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen has told audiences at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference, via Develop.
Well, hopefully with that extra source of revenue it'll keep game costs down.

Next-gen consoles 'eight to ten times' more powerful, games to cost $69, says EA | News | Edge Online
“I think, typically, at the start of a cycle, you’ve seen the pricing raise, say, to $69 for a core piece of software,” he said. “And then over the life of those, that’s drifted down to introduction price, typically now around $59. We haven’t yet set pricing on our gen 4s, but you probably see a similar trend to that during the start of the next cycle.”
God dammit. They have learned nothing.

P
Feb 27, 2013, 12:58 PM

Dammit. I really thought that the consoles were looking pretty good this time and I might bother with one again, but there is no way I'm paying $70 for a game.

Meanwhile, Sony is waffling on the used games issue.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Dammit. I really thought that the consoles were looking pretty good this time and I might bother with one again, but there is no way I'm paying $70 for a game.
I don't know what kind of options you have in Sweden, but outside of banner online titles, I'll likely be waiting for Amazon deals.

I'm a little confused by their wording. Are they saying that titles will start at $70 to start this gen, then go back to the prices we have now, or are they saying titles will debut at $70 and then slowly depreciate to the standard $60? Sounds like the former, but I wasn't around til '07, so I don't recall ever seeing $70 titles.

Meanwhile, Sony is waffling on the used games issue.
The read some people are making is that Sony itself won't block used 1st party titles, but they have the tech to allow each publisher to make that choice if they so wish.

P
Feb 27, 2013, 04:31 PM

I don't know what kind of options you have in Sweden, but outside of banner online titles, I'll likely be waiting for Amazon deals.
Amazon ships here, and they usually have a free shipping to Sweden from either the UK or Germany (depending on the exchange rates at that moment) but it was more a reflection of how crazy expensive things have got. As you may remember, I cannot currently boot into a native Bootcamp partition, which is something I should do something about, really. One option is to get a cheapo PC, upgrade the GPU and use the iMac as a display. Another is to just install a new GPU (and an SSD that I have around anyway) in my old Core 2 Duo HTPC and do the same thing. Neither of them are very enticing - they would require fiddling with installing Windows and drivers and whatnot AGAIN, and I really do have already bought Mac games to get through first, so I keep putting it off. Then the console hardware specs cam and I was interested...for a minute or two.

I'm a little confused by their wording. Are they saying that titles will start at $70 to start this gen, then go back to the prices we have now, or are they saying titles will debut at $70 and then slowly depreciate to the standard $60? Sounds like the former, but I wasn't around til '07, so I don't recall ever seeing $70 titles.
The last generation shift was when they went from $50 to $60. While saying that they might be going to $70 now, he's trying to suggest that current gen prices have somehow come back down...which makes NO sense, because in that case they'd be $50 now and that price increase he's talking about would be even bigger.

OTOH, that quote seems to be from some sort of analysts call, so he could conceivably be talking about some average selling price. Those do tend to come down over the life of a console, as there are more older games to choose from.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2013, 04:36 PM

Amazon ships here, and they usually have a free shipping to Sweden from either the UK or Germany (depending on the exchange rates at that moment) but it was more a reflection of how crazy expensive things have got.
Gotcha.

As you may remember, I cannot currently boot into a native Bootcamp partition, which is something I should do something about, really. One option is to get a cheapo PC, upgrade the GPU and use the iMac as a display. Another is to just install a new GPU (and an SSD that I have around anyway) in my old Core 2 Duo HTPC and do the same thing. Neither of them are very enticing - they would require fiddling with installing Windows and drivers and whatnot AGAIN, and I really do have already bought Mac games to get through first, so I keep putting it off. Then the console hardware specs cam and I was interested...for a minute or two.
I don't remember, but yeah... Things I'm glad I don't have to deal with.

P
Feb 28, 2013, 12:10 PM

In other news: Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm release date is March 12th, and Feral has confirmed a Mac port of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, although no release date.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2013, 02:17 PM

The read some people are making is that Sony itself won't block used 1st party titles, but they have the tech to allow each publisher to make that choice if they so wish.
Good. Put the responsibility on the back of EA.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2013, 02:18 PM

Good. Put the responsibility on the back of EA.
No, baaaad. We know the publishers can't be trusted. Is EA really gonna ditch PS4 if it doesn't block used games? Unlikely.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2013, 03:18 PM

I, personally, don't trust any large publisher with this type of control.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2013, 03:38 PM

No, baaaad. We know the publishers can't be trusted. Is EA really gonna ditch PS4 if it doesn't block used games? Unlikely.
Of course the publishers can't be trusted, but at least all the backlash is directed at them.

And no, EA won't ditch the PS4, but they'll find ways to be vindictive.

I'm guessing we'll see more and more small/mid-size developers putting out brilliant games on PSN/XBL during the next gen. I won't be all that disappointed either, as at least two of my 5 most-enjoyed titles from the last generation were Limbo and Journey.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2013, 03:50 PM

Of course the publishers can't be trusted, but at least all the backlash is directed at them.
Oh noes! Let's save Sony and MS from the backlash! They're just as guilty if they enable them. Publishers have their backlash from online passes. This won't make a difference.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2013, 05:16 PM

You guys heard of the buzzword "Freemium" games? Apparently they're coining "Paymium." Way to kill some of my enthusiasm for the new gen, jerks.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2013, 08:05 PM

On a cheerier note: the last great PS3 game(?) - The Last of Us - 'Hush' Dev Diary - IGN Video

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2013, 12:42 AM

I'm all over that one. Naughty Dog is one of the few developers that hasn't let me down this generation.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2013, 01:47 AM

On a cheerier note: the last great PS3 game(?) - The Last of Us - 'Hush' Dev Diary - IGN Video
"cheerier note"? That stuff's so gross; its awesome!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2013, 11:37 AM

Damn that looks cool.

It took until 2013, but the PS3 finally has an exclusive I am extremely jealous of.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Damn that looks cool.

It took until 2013, but the PS3 finally has an exclusive I am extremely jealous of.
Year of the PS3!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2013, 12:07 PM

PS4: Sony’s 4K movie service confirmed for console | VG247
Speaking with The Verge in a video interview, Sony Electronics President and COO Phil Molyneux laid down some details about PS4′s capability for 4K movies and pictures. 4K games still aren’t supported unfortunately.

Molyneux said, some movie downloads would hit “100 gigabytes and plus”, and that broadband speed and bandwidth will be looked at and tackled in due course. The idea of downloading a film over a few days isn’t appealing, but it’s good to know that Sony is considering its options.
Well that sounds ultra niche.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2013, 12:37 PM

I jumped over the pond(Pacific ocean) last year and left my PS3 in Oz.

Debating if i should get a second PS3 here(US), or just tough it out till the PS4 comes out, and pick up my PS3 when I make a trip back home (prolly after the PS4 comes out)?

I have Okami sitting on my desk in its shrink wrap, and The Last of Us will join it. *sigh* I hate first world problems.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2013, 10:06 AM

I can't read the story while at work, but this came up in Google Tech news : Call Of Duty co-creator Jason West has left Respawn Entertainment?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2013, 10:14 AM

Jason West, a co-creator of Call of Duty and co-founder of video game studio Respawn Entertainment, has left the company he helped found, two sources have informed Kotaku. The departure was amicable.

West, who left because of family issues, has been gone since last May, according to one reliable source who asked not to be named.
Thankfully it appears low on corporate drama.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
A jumped over the pond(Pacific ocean) last year and left my PS3 in Oz.

Debating if i should get a second PS3 here(US), or just tough it out till the PS4 comes out, and pick up my PS3 when I make a trip back home (prolly after the PS4 comes out)?

I have Okami sitting on my desk in its shrink wrap, and The Last of Us will join it. *sigh* I hate first world problems.
I tell myself that I'd hold off for the PS4, but in all likelihood, I'd break down after two weeks and get another PS3.

Just pick up a used one.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2013, 11:23 AM

Alright, dumb theory time. Had this thought after hearing about a possible Wii U price drop.

PS3 Blu-Ray = Wii U Tablet = Durango Kinect 2

Non essential pieces of hardware that serve to make it harder for the company to compete on price.
Yes, I realize some of you will take heavy issue with calling something like Blu-Ray non-essential. You're wrong.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2013, 12:48 PM

So, initial reviews of the new SimCity aren't looking good. Serious constraints and everyone is already predicting a lot of the issues will be solved further down the line by the addition of pay options. Given EAs current model, their cynicism feels on the money.

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2013, 02:29 PM

saw a preview today of the new Tombraider. It is the first thing in a long time that has made me sad that I don't have a PS3 or XBox (it's not available on Wii). Looks fun but a lot more gritty than the old TR.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2013, 01:47 AM

It looked neat, I might pick it up when it goes to $30/$20. Was more excited for SimCity 5 until all of the fallout over always online/DRM/micro transactions recently. So I'm back to playing Skyrim.

P
Mar 6, 2013, 04:36 AM

Valve confirms console, but nothing about the hardware for it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2013, 05:41 AM

Interesting bit of that Valve story...

He added that his company had still to finalise how the console's controller would work as it continued to explore the possibility of including sensors to measure the gamers' body states.

"If you think of a game like Left For Dead - which was trying to put you into a sort of horror movie - if you don't change the experience of what the player is actually feeling then it stops being a horror game," Mr Newell explained.

"So you need to actually be able to directly measure how aroused the player is - what their heart rate is, things like that - in order to offer them a new experience each time they play."
Heart rate monitor in the controller that links to the game? When he says 'arouse', I hope he isn't thinking of a new Leisure Suit Larry game

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Mar 6, 2013, 07:59 AM

Very interesting what sort of hardware they will put in there. The current iX3 boxes (which is what Valve showed initially) uses AMD's embedded solutions. Currently those solutions have GPUs that peak with a "Radeon 7660G discrete-class graphics", which is corporate bullshit for decent integrated graphics solutions that is seriously starved of memory bandwidth. Essentially it's the Trinity APU, with 2 CPU modules ("quadcore" as AMD calls it) but the top GPU, possibly with lower clocks, but all of it hanging off a dualchannel DDR3-1600 memory bus. I won't go off on that tangent I did last time, but suffice to say that that's about 40% of the rumored Xbox bandwidth without the ESRAM dohickey, or about 15% of the PS4 bandwidth. It's also an older GPU arch (VLIW4 rather than GCN, which is what AMD is pushing these days). Performance will be similar to the last-gen Mac mini with discrete graphics. Not Good Enough.

However... AMD can do better than that. In fact they are doing better for the PS4, and AMD's comment about making that chip without the Sony-specific parts sounds very interesting. Take the PS4, ditch the fancy controller, the Bluray player and Sony being a control freak, and you just might have a pretty decent Steam box.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 6, 2013, 12:32 PM

So predictably, SimCity's launch has been a complete disaster and all the regions haven't even gotten access yet. So how many people is that beating down the servers that they can't cope? I've heard 35,000 users quote. Obviously I don't understand the problems associated with online infrastructure, but number sounds staggeringly slow.

Also:

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 6, 2013, 12:35 PM

Oh, while we're at it, EA backpedaling
EA won't have microtransactions in all future games, exec�clarifies | Polygon

"I made a statement in the conference along the lines of 'We'll have micro-transactions in our games' and the community read that to mean all our games, and that's really not true," he said. "All of our mobile games will have micro-transactions in them, because almost all of them are going to a world where they are play for free."
Yeah, I saw what you guys did to Dead Space and SimCity. Not buying it.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2013, 01:36 PM

Here's my prediction. The next Burnout or Need for Speed game will have toll booths that charge the player actual MS points. Maybe they'll give you the option to purchase FastTrak so you can drive right through.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 6, 2013, 01:45 PM

Ha!

You should read about Real Racing 3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 6, 2013, 05:30 PM

context
In case you guys are unaware and want to burn 5 minutes for the hilarity. Gets good by page 5.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 6, 2013, 05:30 PM

context
In case you guys are unaware and want to burn 5 minutes for the hilarity. Gets good by page 5.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2013, 07:45 PM

Anyone watch the Assassin's Creed IV trailer on Xbox Live? This looks good, very good!

He's a pirate this time. Not sure which country it's set in! They showed a lot of sea warfare. It might be set in Spain or the Caribean.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2013, 10:56 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2013, 11:08 AM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2013, 11:34 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Spot on.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2013, 03:26 PM

They've disabled cheetah speed in the game. This idiots have really failed.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2013, 03:38 PM

Wow! Browser cache to speed up a game connection? I have hear some crazy tech calls but that one is now the top of the list.

Forum Links
Forum Rules