Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 doesnt shutdown or restart

iBook G4 doesnt shutdown or restart
jerry1
Feb 19, 2004, 01:48 AM

iBook G4 12" here that refuses to shutdown or restart. I cant get it to sleep through Mac OS, I have to close the iBook and it starts sleeping after a while.

I am also getting weird software panics as the System Preferences closes automatically every time I open it. I cant access it now.

Is all this related to software ? What would you suggest ?

Thanks

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2004, 03:06 AM

I suggest you have Apple inspect it. I haven't seen anything like that before (phewww), and it couldn't hurt to take it into the Apple store. It's a longshot but try holding the power button down for a few seconds if you havent yet, it forces your book to powerdown, give it a shot.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jerry1  (op)
Feb 19, 2004, 12:41 PM

I did a hard shutdown and now everything's fine again. Still I dont know what might have caused the issue.

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 01:35 AM

do you have any additional RAM in the system? that would be my first guess and if you do then keep an eye on your system and if you have any other wierdness like this pull the RAM and see if that is where your issue is
iBook 14" G4 933, 640Meg, 60GB, BT, APX

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2004, 12:25 PM

I had a problem where certain functions of the Apple menu wouldn't work: About This Mac, Restart, Shut Down, and Log Out. It turned out to be a problem with Wacom pad drivers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules