Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod socks!

iPod socks!
yongfook
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 08:55 AM

Just watched the webcast and I find myself wanting iPod Socks faaaaar more than an iPod Photo (well yes the massive difference in price helps that).

what a great idea though - they look so...so..."iPod". And props to Apple for giving all colours away in the same pack and not making us choose.

nothing on the site for them though - anyone got a link??
http://www.yongfook.com

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 01:15 PM

I was trying to find a link also.
There is nothing on Apple's site about it.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 02:06 PM

I couldn't find the photo of iPod socks on Apple web site either.

But you can see the blue sock in the following link

http://news.com.com/Photos+iPod+gets...5427296-6.html

Should I suggest my other half that I want iPod sock for Xmas? Will the hint be strong enough?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 02:20 PM

Those socks might be overpriced. Heck, I can get a 12 pack of multicolored socks on any corner in the SWATs for about $3.

That being said, the need is there. I often wished I had something I could throw my iPod in while in the glove box, or some place like that.

new newton
Banned
Oct 27, 2004, 06:34 PM

The truly sad thing here is that people don't realize it was a joke.

higuy83
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 07:27 PM

Wait, are they really a joke?

I thought it was one at first, but with CNN reporting about them, and the fact that they do seem pretty cool, I think that they might be real.

Anyone know for sure?!

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

Cwriter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 08:29 PM

it was introduced as it were a joke, but they are real. They should be shipping mid Nov. That's why they're probably not on the site.

And yes, they are overpriced.

new newton
Banned
Oct 27, 2004, 08:39 PM

Some of you really are sad. How in the world do you make it through daily life while being so gullible?

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 10:09 PM

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:

//Carbon
if they exist, I'm getting them and giving the colours i dont like away for Xmas.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2004, 07:51 PM

They're listed on the Apple online store now.

Shipping time: Early December.

WTF? I think Apple has some sick tradition now of pretending like they have supply problems whenever they release any new product. Come on. These are f*cking SOCKS. You can't blame IBM or Motorola for these!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 08:45 PM

ordered

Parky
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 06:18 AM

Well they are available on the US Apple Store, but no sign of them on the UK Store.

An early December shipping date for the US deliveries is not looking good for me buying them as Xmas presents in the UK.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 7, 2004, 07:26 AM

What a funny/neat thing for Apple to introduce. iPod fanatics should love it I actually see them selling very well. Apple is really trying to build up on the iPod craze that will ensue this holiday season. Good for them!

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Nov 7, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
WTF? I think Apple has some sick tradition now of pretending like they have supply problems whenever they release any new product. Come on. These are f*cking SOCKS. You can't blame IBM or Motorola for these!
Well, probably it took some company longer than expected to color the necessary amount of sheep, or the development of sheep 2.0 was behind schedule or whatever.
Or maybe they waited for christmas season to really hit the consumers, so their stockings would be even better received, something like not starting to play "Last Christmas" until Nov. (Although I've heard it the first time in mid-october this year!!)
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

storer
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by new newton:
Some of you really are sad. How in the world do you make it through daily life while being so gullible?
I don't know, why don't you tell us how you do it?

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Maybe each sock has a special version of G5 chip embedded.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 12:02 AM

I see from the pictures that the iPod and the iPod mini use the same sock. However, wouldn't there be a ton of extra room in the sock? I am interested in getting these as holiday gifts for my parents and other people I know who have iPods (and keeping one for myself). Some of the people have mini's though, so will it just be one package ($29) for all the gifts?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 12:26 AM

Too bad using this prevents you from being able to fit the iPod in your pocket. Nekkid for me!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

new newton
Banned
Nov 8, 2004, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by storer:
I don't know, why don't you tell us how you do it?
You don't know opportunistic marketing when you see it? If this had been a real product back during the iPod Photo introduction, they'd have had it on the website just as they do with every other product as it is introduced. What happened? A whole bunch of people (including some legit news outlets) couldn't distinguish between a joke and a product. Enough that Apple decided to run it up the flagpole to see who salutes.

Steve must be enjoying this immensely.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 01:36 AM

I'm a whore for Apple logo stuff, so I'll probably get them, even though I don't have an iPod.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 03:37 AM

I wonder if there are each box has 2 of each colour?

Well... they are socks after all.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2004, 03:37 AM

They were never a joke. New Newton is trying to cover up the fact that he was wrong.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 05:15 AM

If any other company were to launch such a product, you'd think it'd fail miserably.
Only Apple could pull it off, and likely will.
Amazing.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 8, 2004, 08:43 AM

The six pack of socks is $39.00 at the Canadian iPod store. And, wow: $48.00 at the Australian Apple store. One word, "ouch"...

I'm probbably going to split the $39 cost with a freind, as I don't need all six socks...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Parky
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 12:24 PM

At least they are on the Australian and Canadian stores.

They are still not on the UK Store!!

Apple Store UK tell me that they have not been released in the UK yet, but they will be soon.

I wonder why there is a delay, maybe they are waiting for dual voltage supplies or working out how much they can over charge for them.

Ian
( Last edited by Parky; Nov 8, 2004 at 12:32 PM. )
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Nov 8, 2004, 08:15 PM

In other European Apple Stores the socks haven't shown up either. (Austria, Germany) Probably takes some time to translate the US-shoe size numbers into the European equivalents or something, to avoid ending up with iSocks big enough to snuggly fit your iBook into.
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 09:34 PM

Instead of selling iPod socks, Apple should come out with iPod turtleneck. Steve Jobs will be a great spokesperson for the product line.

osxisfun
Nov 8, 2004, 09:43 PM

this thread socks.

new newton
Banned
Nov 8, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by tonton:
They were never a joke. New Newton is trying to cover up the fact that he was wrong.
I wouldn't be doing a very good job of it, if that was what I was trying to do. I don't imagine you know of an Apple product introduced at an event that didn't immediately have information on the website, do you? Of course you don't.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2004, 11:10 PM

I wouldn't be doing a very good job of it, if that was what I was trying to do. I don't imagine you know of an Apple product introduced at an event that didn't immediately have information on the website, do you? Of course you don't.
iPod BMW integration, for one.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 11:17 PM

You can't possibly be serious. Of course Apple isn't going to put iPod socks on the homepage or anything compared to iPod Photo or the U2 iPod. If you understood anything about product manufacturing, you'd know that they wouldn't come up with an idea, and a prototype all for a joke and actually make them. They couldn't just go "oh people like these" and instantaniously decide to actually make it a real product. It was of course intended to be a real product, Steve just made a joke about it during the keynote becuase how else could he have introduced them? "Here is the iPod photo, U2 iPod...and oh yeah socks too." He had to build it up by saying the most innovated product etc. because this is just a little product they are trying to make some extra money off of (and will).

new newton
Banned
Nov 9, 2004, 12:29 AM

That was on the BMW site prior to the announcement.

And it's not an Apple product, but hey, facts don't really matter.

new newton
Banned
Nov 9, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by brandon420506:
You can't possibly be serious. Of course Apple isn't going to put iPod socks on the homepage or anything compared to iPod Photo or the U2 iPod.
Ah, I see. So they never place accessories or minor products on the website when they're introduced with a major product. Gimme a break... or better yet, gimme a factual example to back up your rather silly viewpoint.

If you understood anything about product manufacturing, you'd know that they wouldn't come up with an idea, and a prototype all for a joke and actually make them.
Prototype? Did you say prototype for colored socks that didn't physically appear at the event? That some artist did in Photoshop as a joke? Actually make them? Hmm... did you see the socks at the event? Did anyone touch them? Of course not.

Seriously, if these had been intended to be a real product from the get go, they'd have been on the website and available for sale immediately. I suppose someone will try to tell me that they couldn't be available immediately, because of a component shortage... It's also something where if they'd wanted to make an iPod Socks splash, they'd have stuck them under the seats of the auditorium. But hey, let's not think about how Apple actually introduces products like this...

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 9, 2004, 01:32 AM

Of course it's possible that ANY product can be announced before it's ready. Lots of reasons that can happen. The iPod Socks were announced before they were for sale.

Strange but true.

And that's a MUCH simpler explanation than saying Apple lied, or it was a joke, but then maybe it wasn't, and now they've decided to sell them
nagromme

new newton
Banned
Nov 9, 2004, 01:41 AM

You missed the point. Apple regularly has products that aren't available on the day of their introduction, but those products always have had a spot on the Apple web site on the day of their introduction. You're saying that unlike a 2.5ghz G5, the socks weren't on the site because they weren't available for sale? That breaks Apple's pattern of behavior.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 02:08 AM

//Carbon
Quoted.

storer
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 02:51 AM

new newton
Banned
Nov 9, 2004, 02:56 AM

Ah yes, the thumbs up. You wouldn't want to support your argument with facts or solid reasoning when you could quote another man's opinion and give it a thumbs up. Whatever happened to the ok sign? I bet that would help your debating skills if it was available.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2004, 02:59 AM

Ah, forget it. You argue like a Republican.

{ducks}
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 04:14 AM

Ah yes, the thumbs up. You wouldn't want to support your argument with facts or solid reasoning when you could quote another man's opinion and give it a thumbs up. Whatever happened to the ok sign? I bet that would help your debating skills if it was available.
Did you not see when Steve Jobs introduced them as an upcoming December product at the iPod event? You could even watch the video stream and see for yourself.

What's all the whining about?

//Carbon

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 02:04 PM

Ah, I see. So they never place accessories or minor products on the website when they're introduced with a major product. Gimme a break... or better yet, gimme a factual example to back up your rather silly viewpoint.

Prototype? Did you say prototype for colored socks that didn't physically appear at the event? That some artist did in Photoshop as a joke? Actually make them? Hmm... did you see the socks at the event? Did anyone touch them? Of course not.

Seriously, if these had been intended to be a real product from the get go, they'd have been on the website and available for sale immediately. I suppose someone will try to tell me that they couldn't be available immediately, because of a component shortage... It's also something where if they'd wanted to make an iPod Socks splash, they'd have stuck them under the seats of the auditorium. But hey, let's not think about how Apple actually introduces products like this...
In case your too lazy to actually watch the webcast (which you obvioulsy are or you would have known their not a joke) you would have heard Steve Jobs say "they're gonna go on sale in mid-november for $29".

Oh but your right, its just a joke, someone photoshopped a picture (quite a few actually) just to make the audience laugh. God, thats one of the stupidist things I've heard ever.

Oh and by the way, he argues like a liberal, not a republican!

osxisfun
Nov 10, 2004, 05:22 PM

You guys sock. Found this on macminute.com

iPod Socks now available for order from Apple Store
November 10 - 15:05 EST__ Apple's online store has now added the iPod Socks, which were first shown at Apple's special music event in October. "Dress your iPod up in any one of six vibrant color socks (green, purple, grey, blue, orange, and pink). This set of knit socks provides a stylish, fun, and practical way to protect your iPod. So add a dash of color to your iPod with iPod Socks, the year's coziest and most vibrant iPod accessory. It doesn't matter which iPod model you have because iPod Socks fit all of them. And it doesn't matter what your mood is because each iPod Socks package includes six bright colors so you can pick the one that feels best." The iPod Socks are priced at US$29 and will begin shipping in early December. _

symonsl
Nov 10, 2004, 08:13 PM

These iPod socks have BMW integration!? Cool!

osxisfun
Nov 10, 2004, 08:41 PM

well. i guess if you wear them while driving...

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
well. i guess if you wear them while driving...
perhaps if you put the ipod in backwards, with the dock connector facing the mouth of the sock. the ipod is tossed in the glove .. this would give it some protection that way .. *shrug*

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 11:04 AM

and.............Ordered.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2004, 12:27 PM

new image from the apple store.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 12, 2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
I'd keep the grey and dark blue one and give the rest away. It would be a nice touch if Apple gave one away with the purchase of a new iPod. I'd prefer that over laser engraving...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 12:42 AM

anyone interested in buying them individually if i buy the pack?

all i want is the gray and dark blue

Forum Links
Forum Rules