Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Switch to Intel allowing for broader peripheral base???

Switch to Intel allowing for broader peripheral base???
cspuryear
Jun 23, 2005, 10:38 AM

I know it still depends on the OS, but do you think the standardization of peripherals like BT mice/keyboards, etc...... will occur for the mac once the Intel switch occurs?

Then more support from M$ and Logitech, etc..?

Just Thursday ramblings...
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 11:53 AM

Err... No. The only thing that prevents a device from working with a Mac is its drivers, which, unless the device maker is using some assembly code in its drivers, will not make it any easier to write Mac drivers.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by cspuryear
I know it still depends on the OS, but do you think the standardization of peripherals like BT mice/keyboards, etc...... will occur for the mac once the Intel switch occurs?

Then more support from M$ and Logitech, etc..?

Just Thursday ramblings...
No, because drivers are all that matter, not the chipset.

For a while, it's likely there will be less peripheral support on Intel than on PowerPC, simply because drivers WILL have to be rewritten to work on the new platform (as opposed to applications, which can be emulated or migrated via clicking a single button in Xcode -- drivers will require some actual low-level recoding).

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 05:22 PM

...though I think a lot of Firewire and USB devices won't require much work, right, because they're targeting the bus protocol rather than peculiarities of the CPU and chipset? don't really know but that's my impression.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jun 25, 2005, 09:25 PM

Does that have anything to do with Open Firmware? If the Intel Macs use BIOS or whatever from Intel, will FireWire peripherals still work, or will FireWire and USB capabilities be unchanged?
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by cspuryear
WTF ?

You already know it has nothing to do with the hardware, so why do you ask ?
Do you think that the hardware mfg. will suddenly start writing drivers for sentimental reasons, because Apple now uses Intel ?

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 26, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Does that have anything to do with Open Firmware? If the Intel Macs use BIOS or whatever from Intel, will FireWire peripherals still work, or will FireWire and USB capabilities be unchanged?
FireWire/USB bootability depends entirely on the boot firmware Apple ends up using. I'd be very surprised if they used old-fashioned BIOS in their final Intel hardware.

Other than being to boot from them, FireWire and USB won't be affected.

The only peripherals that stand to benefit from the switch are PCI cards that use DMA, things like graphics cards, since they have to match the endianness of their host CPU. Mac PCI card vendors will no longer have to alter their PC cards in this respect.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules