Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G4 + iMovie HD question about RAM?

iMac G4 + iMovie HD question about RAM?
cspuryear
Feb 16, 2006, 01:53 PM

So I have the last generation iMac G4 w/ 20" LCD, it currently has 768 megs of ram. I just got the new Sony HDR-HC1 HD video camera and want to edit HD content. I'm assuming 768 isn't going to cut it, but I'm hesitant to think that even if I took out the 512 chip and put in 1gig to take it to 1.25 gigs, that would even cut it.

Does anyone have any recommendations......or is this going to come down to "buy a new machine w/ a ton of ram"? My limitation is the lack of memory support in my iMac.

Thanks,

Chris
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 03:34 PM

Well, IIRC, the G4 iMacs topped out at 1.25 Ghz speed. Apples web site says that to edit HD content in iMovie (which I take it you are using, or is it FCP?), you need a min of a 1 Ghz G4 - so you are pretty close to the bare min with that system you have there. It should work, but will be slow.

In regards to RAM, again, IIRC, the max on your system is 1.25 GB, so I'd max it out - this should help out.

It depends how serious you are about editing, but if your doing HD, and splashed out on a HD camcorder, I imagine you are semi serious, and for this reason I would suggest, if you can afford it, getting a new Mac. Maybe an iMac Core Duo, which will be a big boost up from what you already use. If you are using FCP, then universal upgrades will be available in about a month, so I think the iMac would be perfect.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Stephen Hanasew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 05:07 PM

Hello There,
The last post isn't exactly correct, your iMac will take up to 2GB of Ram. I have the same model but with the 17" screen and have 2GB installed in mine. 768 Megs. will probably work but would be painfully slow. If it's within your means, up the Ram as much as you can. Here's a couple of links that should be very useful:

http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...?Category=2447

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/i...takeapart.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

The last one has a full manual on that model iMac but be patient! Even with a High speed cable connection, it takes awhile to download! Good Luck!!

cspuryear  (op)
Feb 19, 2006, 02:21 PM

So w/ 2gigs of ram do you find that's sufficient? That my be the way to go for me! Thanks for the links!
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

Forum Links
Forum Rules