Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > inconvenience = security, first-hand experience of someone applying for a J1 visa

inconvenience = security, first-hand experience of someone applying for a J1 visa
OreoCookie
Jan 22, 2007, 10:15 AM

I was granted a four-month short-term scholarship to spend time at UC Berkeley. This is my third time abroad (for more than a month, i. e. `living' abroad), so I've some experience in successfully applying for exchange programs and I know that it's a paper-heavy business.

But now, I feel, it has escalated to a degree so that it actively discourages people from going to the US. Most of my colleagues won't apply for any program for longer than three months in the US (because then they don't need a visa) nor will they apply for programs within the US anymore (then you need a visa, too). In an effort to present the side of an Americo-phil foreigner (my father spent one year in the US in 1963/64, my parents have been there repeatedly, my father even had business there; later on, my sister and me followed their footsteps and both went to High School in Georgia and Pennsylvania) and what he has to go through to successfully get to California. I will try to update you on current developments.

History and Background
When I was 16, I applied for a J visa to spend one year in Pennsylvania and I have fond memories of my time there. All it took was one form and 75 Marks (about $50 at that time) -- which included the fee for the visa service.

For Japan, I needed to fill out two forms and it was even cheaper since I had to pick up the visa personally at the consulate in Munich.

What has happened up until now
First, I have chosen a professor in the US. Since my PhD advisor is fairly famous within the community, asking sufficed. Then I've applied for a DAAD grant (German Academic Exchange Service) -- which was a lot of work, but most of it was connected to research. DAAD has a superb online application service -- you cannot forget something, otherwise the pdf won't generate. It's one form with no redundant information.

Then there were a few months idle time. So in January I started looking into the details of the VISA procedure and was (negatively) surprised how much work it is -- even though two good friends of mine, one of them is Italian, the other German, had to go through the same procedure (the Italian now works for the Mother Ship in Cupertino, my best friend did an internship there and was offered a job). I feel like in a comedy about the inner workings of bureaucracy, and I thought Germany has the most intricate bureaucratic system in the world. Not quite. So I have to fill out five forms with mostly redundant information. (On a funny note, all forms include a disclaimer that this form complies with the Paperwork Reduction Act … again, I'm not kidding.)

You might say: that's not so bad. Well. Again, not quite. They ask rather strange and specific questions, my two favorite ones are: List All Countries You have Entered in the Last Ten Years (Give the Year of Each Visit) and `Have you ever been issued a US Visa? Where? When? What type?'
The first field measures 1x4 cm. Problem is, within the last ten years, I've been to at least ten countries on multiple occasions (I'm able to remember 10 …). There's no way I can fit all countries in this small box.
The second question is even better: the US has issued a J visa once before, but I have no idea about the exact dates of embarkation and disembarkation. The passport is long gone … Where am I supposed to come up with this information?

Most of these are rather trivial matters, I agree. More difficult are `proofs that I will return to my home country after my stay ends'. I asked the guy on the official hotline (they charge $20 per call, no matter how long/short your conversation is), and he said, well, it could be anything, but he wouldn't have anything specific for me. How about a work contract, I asked. He replied: `Perhaps.' Proof of residency? `Perhaps.' I'm not from some third-world country (or Mexico), why do the same rules apply again?

So the basic visa application costs 85 € these days (roughly $108). Students and other individuals have to shell out $100 (per person if you want to take over your wife and kids) for a special DHS security check. Then, I have to go to Frankfurt, even though there is a consulate in Munich (Why can't the US Consulate in Munich do the security check? Aren't they working just as well as the people in Frankfurt?). For finger prints (like a criminal) and for a security check. That will probably cost me another €160 for the train ticket alone ($203). If it's anything like the security checks my friends had to go through, a bored lady will read their names on the forms, compare the biometric picture (another 20 €, $25) with the actual face (if she feels like it) and rubberstamp the application.

Furthermore, I found out, I need a new biometric passport (91 €, $115) which will arrive on Thursday or Friday.

So far, my expenses for a visa are ():
visa application: €85 ($107)
DHS security check: €79 ($100)
new biometric passport: €91 ($115)
biometric pictures for new passport and visa: €20 ($25)
train ticket to Frankfurt: €160 ($203) (I might be able to go by car with a friend who will spend a few months in Arizona)
2 calls to US Embassy hotline: €30 ($38)
total: €471 ($596)
I'm fortunate that my department will cover most of the costs mentioned here. And remember: I'm a PhD student (i. e. I don't have a lot of money)!

A sizeable portion of the costs may be saved if other Consulates (at least all Generalkonsulate) were allowed to perform the rubberstamp security check -- at no loss of (perceived) security. My preparation for my visit in Frankfurt is a thorough read of the security requirements that are at least as strict as the handheld luggage requirements in London right after the foiled liquid explosive incident (I'm not kidding!).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 22, 2007, 01:13 PM

Edit: I found out today that Berkeley has to pay for the DS-2019 form as well, $390.

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 22, 2007, 01:47 PM

The Great Satan is indeed discouraging the best and brightest to stay out. Not a good trend as it needs tech and power to dominate the world. If you are smart, law-abiding, and contributing, it should not care if you return, so long as you drop your paperwork to extend your stay.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Zarqawi's Eye View Post
The Great Satan is indeed discouraging the best and brightest to stay out. Not a good trend as it needs tech and power to dominate the world. If you are smart, law-abiding, and contributing, it should not care if you return, so long as you drop your paperwork to extend your stay.
Obviously a joke account. How long will this last?

reader50
Administrator
Jan 22, 2007, 02:44 PM

Oreo, they must have heard about your time machine experiments.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 22, 2007, 02:47 PM

… my future self is just here, explaining the details

Sorry for the rant, guys, but I think this is becoming prohibitively expensive for most people. (Remember, it's a student/researcher visa.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 02:59 PM

Can I add my own $ 0.02 of wisedom.

ONLY IN AMERICA!!!11!1oneone

-t

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 03:01 PM

Sorry to hear about all the hassles.
Say hello to the Campanile (not to mention the street urchins).
I have fond memories of undergraduate years in Berzerkely during the 60s!
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 03:09 PM

More difficult are `proofs that I will return to my home country after my stay ends'.
IIRC a return plane ticket is usually good for that. They're worried about people buying a one way ticket and being unable to afford the return flight.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 22, 2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
IIRC a return plane ticket is usually good for that. They're worried about people buying a one way ticket and being unable to afford the return flight.
Well, I don't buy a ticket until I have all the visa procedures nailed down. The thing is two-fold: first of all, they treat me like someone from a third-world country (who'd be interested in buying a one-way ticket) and (2) they don't have exact guidelines and refuse to give exact information.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Well, I don't buy a ticket until I have all the visa procedures nailed down. The thing is two-fold: first of all, they treat me like someone from a third-world country (who'd be interested in buying a one-way ticket) and (2) they don't have exact guidelines and refuse to give exact information.
Oh dear? They treat you like third-world trash.. do they? Poor you! Just be glad you aren't actually from a third-world country. Your chances of getting a visa would be significantly less. As an American whose significant other (SO) is from a third-world country in the Caribbean, I was forced to leave the U.S. because my SO could no longer stay in the country legally. (I'm gay so getting married is out of the question). These days visas for third-world residents are very hard to come by. So my advice is to quit whining, pay the fee, and be thankful they're letting you in. For me, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to live in my own country again. (Forgive my lack of empathy.. but it's hard for me to feel sorry for you.)

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 06:35 PM

It's no wonder America is ranked as one of the least foreigner-friendly countries these days.

We're rapidly losing our edge as far as scientific research and education go to other countries, especially in Asia, with more enlightened policies. Every giant must fall, and IMHO as an American, we're next. We hassle educated experts who are trying to come to America, tell them they aren't allowed to perform certain types of research (see the stem cell issue), etc. Our infrastructure is rapidly becoming hopelessly outdated, the mega-corporations won't do anything about it, and the government won't make them. On top of it all, we've become a bully among nations.

I'm personally not going to be sticking around much longer as far as I can see: moving on to greener pastures - and gigabit fiber!

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 22, 2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Just be glad you aren't actually from a third-world country. Your chances of getting a visa would be significantly less.
My ex gf was from Mexico and she couldn't even fly via an airport in the US (which caused problems, because her flight got cancelled …), so I know what it's like.

However, I'm surprised that I am still treated like someone from a third-world country, as if I had trouble living and surviving in my own country.

My intention isn't to whine, but to tell Americans the other side of the story. Of course I'll go and it'll be great, but I don't exactly feel welcome either. Most of the measures (like the complimentary interview) seems to be only for the show (I'll write a post once it's my turn) and isn't really improving security. Even if you'd want to keep it, there'd still be nicer ways to implement it without sacrificing one inkling of security. Plus, it is hurting the US system already, judging by the amount of Chinese we have at German universities.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2007, 07:25 PM

Immigration policy not only in the US but in many other industrialized countries is a complete joke.

This is my ideal immigration policy

I think anybody should be let into the country unless they fail a very simple background check to make sure you aren't a convicted felon or terrorist or something. Then when you make it in, you'll be a productive human being creating products and services. If you happen to committ a crime then you'll be deported and never let back in. Simple as that.

Rumor
Jan 22, 2007, 08:30 PM

OC, when you get to Berekley we can go to the Starry Plough for a brew (if you drink), hopefully that will help you feel more welcome.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Jan 22, 2007, 08:30 PM

Hmm, why don't you fly to Mexico and go from there? It seems to be really popular and fairly easy?

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 22, 2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Hmm, why don't you fly to Mexico and go from there? It seems to be really popular and fairly easy?
Indeed. Anyone can walk across the border or pay a 'coyote' for the trip.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 22, 2007, 08:41 PM

Coz she was thinking of moving to Germany/Europe and get married to me. (I have a job here and can move freely within the EU.)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2007, 08:44 PM

Lucky you're not Chinese. There's a minimum 1 year wait on U.S. visas.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Rumor
Jan 22, 2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Coz she was thinking of moving to Germany/Europe and get married to me. (I have a job here and can move freely within the EU.)
I meant go to Berekley from Mexico. I guess I wasn't as funny as I thought I was. The brew offer still stands. Nice Irish Pub with Irish music almost every night.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jan 22, 2007, 09:00 PM

I meant go to Berekley from Mexico. I guess I wasn't as funny as I thought I was. The brew offer still stands. Nice Irish Pub with Irish music almost every night.
Nah, it's 2 am here, I have the attention span of a gold fish.

I'm considering paying Mexico a visit, reverse order.
I might just take you up on that offer though (If things go as planned, I'll be in Berkeley in just three months … can't wait!)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2007, 09:56 PM

If getting into the US is such a pain, and we've lost our edge as far as scientific research and education go to other countries, especially in Asia, why not go somewhere else for your (post)graduate studies?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 10:07 PM

Hey Oreo - where are you in Germany? I'm an American coming to Germany (Heidelberg) for the winter semester, Oct. - March I think?

PM me if you prefer.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2007, 10:58 PM

If it makes you feel a little better, US Immigration is fairly stupid to everyone. On a return trip from Russia/Africa I got the treatment. Another time I got hassled having a car full of college stuff coming back into the US from Canada -- the Canadians didn't care one whit, but US Customs was all "what did you buy in Canada? Do you have any guns?" Yeah, I'm towing a howitzer.

My mother is now naturalized but once she was on a flight to Minneapolis diverted to Winnipeg for weather. US Customs hassled her about not having a Green Card, which you of course don't need for domestic travel. She replied,"I don't have it because I don't want to lose it."

Remember, until recently only 27% of eligible US citizens had a valid passport, and this number is only changing because passports are now required for Canada and Mexico. Generally, US citizens don't much see what a shambles immigration is, since they don't travel much abroad. Having a xenophobic President (with limited travel experience himself before becoming President), combined with the suspicious fallout from September 11th hasn't helped.

But...the East Bay must be one of the most beautiful places I can think of. Certainly worth a little bureaucratic hassle.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 01:06 AM

The only fast and easy way to get a Visa these days is getting married to an American citizen.
It still costs you a couple of bucks, but the hassle is not that great.

-t

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The only fast and easy way to get a Visa these days is getting married to an American citizen.
It still costs you a couple of bucks, but the hassle is not that great.

-t
Shenanigans. The Great Satan has many barriers, both documentary, administrative, and time-based, that do not allow it to squeeze out a K3 visa on demand. However, if you are a non-citizen in the US, and you marry a citizen, you are normally permitted to remain while your petition for adjustment of status (to conditional permanent resident) is adjudicated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 01:12 AM

Shenanigans. The Great Satan has many barriers, both documentary, administrative, and time-based, that do not allow it to squeeze out a K3 visa on demand. However, if you are a non-citizen in the US, and you marry a citizen, you are normally permitted to remain while your petition for adjustment of status (to conditional permanent resident) is adjudicated.
Pfff, I was sneakier. I just got married while "on vacation". Then I went back and forth until my green card was done. You just pay them for letting you. Money goes long ways in America

-t

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 01:19 AM

yes, you would have applied for 'advance parole' while your adjudication was pending, allowing you to travel back and forth until the authorities of the Great Satan decided in your favour.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 01:22 AM

yes, you would have applied for 'advance parole' while your adjudication was pending, allowing you to travel back and forth until the authorities of the Great Satan decided in your favour.
Like I said, they even provide forms to bribe them, and take checks. Awesome

-t

OreoCookie  (op)
Apr 6, 2007, 06:50 PM

part 2: Frankfurt

So it turns out Munich offers these security checks, but I couldn't get an appointment in time. So I had to go to Frankfurt. Since they don't hand out appointments any later than 11, I had to get up at 5 to make it on time and I'd return at 11 pm the same day, 150 € poorer than before. Ugh.

So I took the train, tired and all. I left all my luggage in a locker at the station, because the only thing you are allowed to take with you is a transparent bag for your documents and that's it. As a creature of habit, I forgot to put away my iPod and my cell phone (that should be very telling of my `digital lifestyle', hehe).

The first potential barrier is the guard at the gate who hands out tickets. His job is -- I'm sure -- underpayed since his job isn't really that of a gatekeeper. He's rather one of the most important persons there, as he decides who is allowed in and who isn't. To those who haven't filled out form DS-156 online can go home and reschedule their appointment again. Much to my amazement, the Americans had to go through the same ordeal. Other people had more specific problems (e. g. German spouses of American service men or victims of computer errors who are flagged). In my line (of approximately 8 people), 6 were rejected right here and there. A 60-year-old man for example, who was visiting the US every year for the last 15 years got flagged for an overstay, although his flag was due to a computer error. Even when he was flagged, the people at immigration told him `it's a known problem due to faulty software of a sub contractor, there's nothing we can do.' He was advised to send his documents to `Kentucky'. Sounds like an administrational black hole to me.

Anyway. The processing was not very exciting. All of the additional documents which were listed on the homepage of the US embassy (e. g. a `proof' that I definitely wish to return without specifying what it is) were totally uninteresting to the two administrators. All that was important were my fingerprints. They asked two, three harmless questions (which were basically already answered in writing on the forms) and that was it. To my amazement, they got me the wrong J1 visa: after my stay in Berkeley, I'm not allowed to apply for a J1 visa for two years. Bummer. (I've applied for the other type of J1 visa with no such restriction; however, I knew discussions with a desk jockey are pretty much useless.)

Later on, I learnt that the consul himself does the last security interview and you can have your visa within a day (the hotline told me otherwise, even though I specifically asked). Next time (in two-and-a-half years) …

OreoCookie  (op)
Apr 6, 2007, 06:56 PM

arrival

I did something semi-criminal: to took a knife with me: my trusty Swiss army knife was masked by my external harddrive in the security checks in Munich. (I put it there when flying to London last month and forgot to take it out.)

Processing was not much worse than before 9/11 at least: the queues were still long, but at least it `felt' shorter than in 1999.

Berkeley

Berkeley is a great, great place. Made me forget quickly what ordeal I had to go through to get there. Flowers are in bloom, the smell each time you are outside is amazing. The whole multi-cultural aspect is soooo great. I can get every Japanese food I haven't had since Japan in the super markets! o-mochi, narutomaki, kimuchi, you name it! I'll hit a Mexican store soon, too, to get some chilipotle … hmmm.

Everything is pretty relaxed here. My landlady (a German emigrant) is pretty cool, too. Now I'm invited for Easter with some friends of hers. Tonight I'm invited by an Italian friend of mine (who works for our favorite company), she's having a party.

The last two days, I've heard talks by good speakers, on Wednesday a famous mathematical physicist was giving a very interesting talk about finite sequences of 0s and 1s, yesterday I heard former vice-chancellor Fischer (who's currently a visiting professor in Princeton).

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2007, 07:37 PM

You made it!

Congratulations. I hope the hardest part is well behind you. Enjoy the Bay Area.

--Timo, with a tinge of envy

Forum Links
Forum Rules