Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Choppy Sound In Boot Camp (MBP C2D)

Choppy Sound In Boot Camp (MBP C2D)
Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 06:22 PM

I'm playing with Boot Camp on my MBP. Audio, though, occasionally becomes choppy: in a four minute song, maybe three times for about a second each. It's annoying.

I'm using Sony SonicStage (Sony's answer to iTunes) - yes, I like iTunes better, and use it most of the time under OS X, but that isn't the point. I have a ton of Japanese music I've bought off online stores in Japan that only use ATRAC (which can only be played by SonicStage...)

Any suggestions? I'm using XP Pro SP2 with the latest Boot Camp drivers installed.

Thanks!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience View Post
I'm playing with Boot Camp on my MBP. Audio, though, occasionally becomes choppy: in a four minute song, maybe three times for about a second each. It's annoying.

I'm using Sony SonicStage (Sony's answer to iTunes) - yes, I like iTunes better, and use it most of the time under OS X, but that isn't the point. I have a ton of Japanese music I've bought off online stores in Japan that only use ATRAC (which can only be played by SonicStage...)

Any suggestions? I'm using XP Pro SP2 with the latest Boot Camp drivers installed.

Thanks!
Does this happen while plugged in, or while running off battery? I've noticed the same problem, but only while running off battery.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Does this happen while plugged in, or while running off battery? I've noticed the same problem, but only while running off battery.
I've been using it almost the whole time with the notebook plugged in. The few times I tried without being plugged in, it wasn't any better (or worse really, as far as I could tell).

aret
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 02:04 PM

Hi,
I have the same exact problem with a mac book pro 2.13 GHz running win XP service pack 2.

I play mp3s with winamp, and say 10 times during a song the audio gets delayed, as if it lost packets of information. The same thing happens with VLC.

I assigned winamp a higher priority in the task manager, but not much improvement.

Any suggestions?

aret
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 03:08 PM

Scifience,
the problem is the driver for the wireless card!!
check these links:

Vista Skipping Sound Fix - InsanelyMac Forum
The Great Driver Hunt - InsanelyMac Forum

Now I don't have any more problems with sound :-)

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2007, 08:45 PM

The wireless driver goofed up the audio? Bizarre! I'm glad you found the problem and fixed it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the fix - that did the trick.

Hopefully Apple will release an update to Boot Camp that fixes this in the near future.

Forum Links
Forum Rules