Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Two seconds of your time to help a poor shareware developer

Two seconds of your time to help a poor shareware developer (Page 2)
Kevin
Baninated
Feb 14, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Yeah I don't mind this post as I have asked for help in the past, I'd hate to see this become a trend though...
And that is the point. You let him do it and everyone wants to.

He didn't even post it in the right forum.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 03:01 PM

Yeah I get that, you may be right and this SHOULD be moved.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 03:14 PM

Great community we have here.. "Hey fellows, could you do this for me? - Well.. I could, but then maybe other persons could ask me for help.. So no."

And beside, I don't agree it's in the wrong forum. Sure his post is about his software, but is not really software-related: he's asking the community for help, it doesn't matter what the link is about, he's only asking you to click on it.. it could be to save a tree, promote his band, submit a petition, vote for him, etc.

Software of not, his post is summarized by "hey, if you got 2 seconds, click that link. thank you!".

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 03:18 PM

I have seen a few of these threads already, and I hardly post here so there is probably more and we definitely don't need an epidemic of this.

Anyway not a big deal right now, but no one wants everyone posting a "rate my pet" "digg this" "FARK that" etc. thread.
( Last edited by zerostar; Feb 14, 2007 at 03:25 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
And that is the point. You let him do it and everyone wants to.

He didn't even post it in the right forum.
And if we let people make a Battlestar Galactica thread, soon there are going to be ongoing threads for all the thousands of shows on TV, right? Good ol' slippery-slope logic.

Also, you keep claiming this is the wrong forum, but I don't see anybody whose opinion matters (Demonhood, Peter, etc.) agreeing with you. So, basically, it's your opinion vs. everybody else's.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 05:30 PM

this is definitely spam.

-r.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
this is definitely spam.
One member asking other members for help (not repeatedly or disruptively) is spam? How do you figure?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Scifience  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 06:02 PM

Well, my intention in posting this wasn't to spam the forums. As I predicted in my original post, some people have a problem with it.

However, it is obvious that none of the moderators consider this to be spam, or it would have been deleted long ago. Instead, it's still here three+ days later.

That's the last thing I'm going to say about this lest a full-out flame war start here, and that definitely is against the rules.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Spam is any UNWANTED/Off topic pushing of a product or service that the pusher is making money off of.
That’s your definition. If you look at a few dictionaries, you’ll find that most of them include some wording akin to “sent in bulk” or “distributed in large numbers” in their definition of spam.

Also, spam doesn’t necessarily have to be pushing a product or service, and the sender doesn’t necessarily have to make money from it (think of random nonsense e-mails: no one makes any money from it, and the only product it can be said to be pushing is a dictionary for the idiot bot who ‘writes’ them).

There is no hard-and-fast way of defining exactly what constitutes spam. When a (long-term, established) member of a community asks the community at large for help with the goal of his own making money, some are bound to consider it spam; others are bound not to. Personally, I don’t see this as spam.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
One member asking other members for help (not repeatedly or disruptively) is spam? How do you figure?
he's not asking for help. he's asking for free advertising and money from product registrations. it's no different than a poster asking you to buy their discount cellphones.

-r.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2007, 06:56 PM

He’s not asking anyone to pay him any money, unlike spammers wanting to sell you free iPods or cell phones. He’s simply asking to click a link (which is, after all, how Digg works). He only makes money indirectly, in that having his app Dugg makes it visible to more people, and more people will find a need for the app and buy it.

What he’s doing here is nothing but asking for help.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 12:52 AM

Digg me too! Digg - Gulfstream Test Flight Spells out "G-V" (for Gulfstream V) in >8h Flight

Is this spam? No more than the original post.

Maybe we should start a thread in the lounge just for digg requests.

mindwaves
Feb 15, 2007, 12:54 AM

Point taken guys. Let it rest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules