Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pet Food Recall

Pet Food Recall
marden
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 08:33 AM

Questions and answers about the pet food recall

Published March 19, 2007, 6:06 PM CDT

Q: What brands and types of pet food are being recalled?

A: The recall involves Ontario-based Menu Foods' "cuts and gravy" style cat and dog food packaged from Dec. 3 to March 6. The wet food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, is packaged in cans and small foil pouches. The food was sold under numerous brand names _ 40 cat food brands and 51 dog food brands as of Monday.

Q: What happened to the food that led to this recall?

A: The recall started after reports that at least 10 pets _ one dog and nine cats _ suffered kidney failure and died after eating the food, according the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The FDA on Monday said that as many as one in six animals died in tests of suspect dog and cat food by the manufacturer after complaints the products were poisoning pets around the country.

Q: Where was this food sold?

A: The pet food was sold throughout North America under both store and major brand labels at Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...l=chi-news-hed

So, am I right in concluding that the more expensive IAMS dog food that's supposed to be so much better for Fido is the same exact stuff I could buy at Wal-Mart under a different name for much less $$??

Does anyone else feel they've been gypped?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2007, 08:46 AM

"We thought we were doing a better thing for our cat, improving her food. You trust these companies that have these reputations, and you expect them not to poison your animals with the food they sell."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/us/20petfood.html

Look at that poor dog… what a bunch of suckers.

Any info if this could have been delivered overseas?, my pets get affinity ADVANCE.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
"We thought we were doing a better thing for our cat, improving her food. You trust these companies that have these reputations, and you expect them not to poison your animals with the food they sell."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/us/20petfood.html

Look at that poor dog… what a bunch of suckers.

Any info if this could have been delivered overseas?, my pets get affinity ADVANCE.
I didn't see affinity ADVANCE on the lists but go to the link and call the toll free #.

Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting - Dog Foods

Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting - Cat Foods

Rumor
Mar 20, 2007, 09:34 AM

Iams and Eukanuba are the same company. They're foods aren't much better than Purina or Gravy Train.

It's the equivalent to feeding your pets McDonald's everyday.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2007, 09:38 AM

The plant made 17 of the top 20 selling brands!
Mass recall of dog and cat food after pets die - CNN.com

marden  (op)
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Iams and Eukanuba are the same company. They're foods aren't much better than Purina or Gravy Train.

It's the equivalent to feeding your pets McDonald's everyday.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
I didn't see affinity ADVANCE on the lists but go to the link and call the toll free #.

Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting - Dog Foods

Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting - Cat Foods
Thanks, but they well could have some e-mail about this issue… I don't think it is going to be toll free if you live in Europe, over 50 millions of cans are a lot of them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 10:29 AM

Awful. Downright awful.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hart
Senior User
Mar 20, 2007, 10:33 AM

there were definitely overseas shipments included according to what I read.

As for that "Purina is equal to McDonald's" thing I'd like to see some facts on that before I read it as gospel. I also thought it interesting that some of the cheapest and some of the most expensive foods were coming out of the same company. I've fed my cats pricey food and I've fed them cheap and never seen any difference. I've also never had a vet say not to feed less expensive food.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2007, 10:55 AM

I do find it interesting that Iams/Eukanuba is on the list, but the 25-cents-a-can 9Lives I buy regularly for my kitty isn't.

Also - pet food is pet food. I don't think the expensive Iams crap is any better than Purina (also not on the list). I buy "Indoor Formula" dry food of whatever brand is on sale, and my cat does just fine. Indoor Forumla costs the same as plain old cat food, and supposedly has more nutrients for cats who don't enjoy eating little bunnies and chipmunks on a regular basis.

Now all I have to do is check the name of the grocery store-brand food I bought last week on sale. :O
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Thanks, but they well could have some e-mail about this issue… I don't think it is going to be toll free if you live in Europe, over 50 millions of cans are a lot of them.

Use Skype...free calls to US toll-free numbers from anywhere.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
So, am I right in concluding that the more expensive IAMS dog food that's supposed to be so much better for Fido is the same exact stuff I could buy at Wal-Mart under a different name for much less $$??

Does anyone else feel they've been gypped?
You realize it's like this for most things don't you...

The $4 shampoo is technically the same stuff as the generic $2 shampoo... but the cheaper shampoo may not be as consistent.

Look at the back of the containers of some "high quality" products and compare it to the generic... the content breakdown is identical. Sometimes their bottles are even the same shape/color (because they were produced at the same repacker).

It's like this for most products. Much of the cheap stuff is the start or end of a production run. Sometimes it's just a "bad batch" that is still safe to eat, but isn't how it should have turned out. Sometimes it's discolored slightly or has a slightly different taste... that stuff ends up being the generic supermarket brand product.

Rumor
Mar 20, 2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post

As for that "Purina is equal to McDonald's" thing I'd like to see some facts on that before I read it as gospel. I also thought it interesting that some of the cheapest and some of the most expensive foods were coming out of the same company. I've fed my cats pricey food and I've fed them cheap and never seen any difference. I've also never had a vet say not to feed less expensive food.
Dog Food Comparison
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 03:48 PM

What is the big deal with pet food anyway? It's overrated....

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
Ouch… not the kind of answer I was hoping for but better safe than worry. Not much we can do other than stick by our furry friends and help them as best we can.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What is the big deal with pet food anyway? It's overrated....

Forum Links
Forum Rules