Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can anyone recommend a U.P.S. that doesn't beep or have an alarm

Can anyone recommend a U.P.S. that doesn't beep or have an alarm
iM@k
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 10:05 PM

Well for the second time today the power has gone out in my area which no clue why (clear skies all day). Right now I have a very nice U.P.S. that keeping my modem and router going while I surf on my MacBooks Battery. However, as it nseems it's going to be a while, I'm getting a little ricked of how my U.P.S. beeps every 30 seconds si driving me nuts.

I've done some quick research for a new one that doesn't have an alarm, but I haven't seen any yet. Do you folks know of on that either doesn't have one at all, or have the alarm be optional?

Any and all help is appreciated.
What, me worry?

OreoCookie
Aug 8, 2007, 10:17 PM

I don't think you'll find one, the alarm has a point: you are supposed to finish what you are doing, save your work and shut down your computer.

Switching it off defeats the purpose.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 11:04 PM

My UPS (some Chinese no-name I found somewhere a few years ago, but it works well enough) has an alarm, but you can press a button to turn it off once it starts chirping.

It cost about $500 and runs my routers, laptop, VoIP boxes, etc. for about five hours before dying. I got it from Newegg; you might be able to find something similar there.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't think you'll find one, the alarm has a point: you are supposed to finish what you are doing, save your work and shut down your computer.

Switching it off defeats the purpose.
For a desktop user, it's to give you time to save and shut down.
For a datacenter user, it's to give you time to get the generators online.
For a laptop user, it's to keep the cable modem and speakers working while everyone else lives in the dark!

OreoCookie
Aug 9, 2007, 12:06 AM

I know, I have a laptop (which is usually connected to a surge protector). But nevertheless, the job of UPS is to give an alarm. I haven't heard of one without one.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2007, 08:37 AM

Most high-quality UPSs provide a method of silencing their alarms-sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. The unit's manual will tell you how to do it. APC, Belkin and Tripplite provide their owners' manuals online, so you can peruse them and see which ones allow you to do what. For example, I have a Belkin UPS in my entertainment center, so my equipment doesn't need to be reprogrammed after an outage-but I don't need to be notified by it that power has gone out, so I have the alarm on that one disabled. In my office, where all the network and computer stuff is, I have a bunch of UPSs, and most of them have the alarms disabled-I just leave one or two enabled so I notice when they kick in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2007, 10:47 AM

I have a APC RS 1500 VA (with the meter on it). It has a button for mute, and the meter is incredibly handy. I have 3 other UPSes that I plan to replace with more of these RS-1500 units. I too got tired of beeping all over the place when the power goes out. :-)

They're around $200 for the 1500 VA, I think the 1200 VA model is a little less.

Forum Links
Forum Rules