Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The DHS and You

The DHS and You
subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2013, 01:43 AM

After three years of study, the DHS has decided "reasonable suspicion" is too strict a test for confiscating your laptop/phone/etc. when you cross the border, and would, in their words, not provide "concomitant civil rights/civil liberties benefits".

On one hand, this is bullshit.

On the other hand, I see the argument.

On the third hand, this will just get people to use cloud services and wipe their machines before reentry, which I understand is becoming SOP with anyone who's concerned about industrial espionage.

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fil...01-29-13_1.pdf

Via This Week in Enterprise Tech.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2013, 02:19 AM

I've been wanting to pretend it's not happening, but things like privacy are going to be dependent on how rich you are.

IOW, the people who will have privacy are the ones who have the (skill, time and/or money) resources to do military-grade wipes on their machines at the drop of a hat.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
After three years of study, the DHS has decided "reasonable suspicion" is too strict a test for confiscating your laptop/phone/etc. when you cross the border, and would, in their words, not provide "concomitant civil rights/civil liberties benefits".
Too strict my ass. Weren't people crossing the Canadian border getting screwed over practically at random? I might be wrong but they were also holding on to the laptops seemingly in perpetuity.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2013, 10:55 PM

Hence the crazy security protocols for people traveling overseas with access to important data.

Mind you, the person who discussed this said the fear is not DHS keeping your laptop, it's DHS worker drones selling what's on it.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:22 AM. )

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Hence the crazy security protocols for people traveling overseas with access to important data.

Mind you, the person who discussed this said the fear is not DHS keeping your laptop, it's DHS worker drones selling what's on it.
Exactly....Who DHS's the DHS?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2013, 07:55 PM

DHS is a furniture store in the UK.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2013, 08:01 PM

Its just a front.

Forum Links
Forum Rules