Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 Start-up/Sound Manager problem

OS 9 Start-up/Sound Manager problem
Munir Shaikh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2000, 01:58 PM

I'm having trouble with starting up our new G4 450 (256MB RAM), which began recently. Everything was working fine before.

The Mac freezes on starting up, and an error message comes up saying there is not enough memory for Sound Manager 4.5 to operate. Disabling Sound Manger enables the Mac to boot up the rest of the way without any problems. Of course, we need Sound Manager funcional for our iMovie and Quicktime work.

Does anyone know what the source of this problem is, and how to resolve it? We've reinstalled the OS (not clean install yet), but that hasn't helped.

Could this have something to do with that problem reported last week about OS 9 not discarding invisible temp files, which may be hogging up portions of memory? Is there a fix to that problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Munir

wlonh
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2000, 02:29 PM

Empty Temp Folder, free: http://www.users.uswest.net/~johnnyc...stimpsoft.html

and try deleting your Sound preferences file, restart, and reset Sound control panel

ClarkCable
Apr 4, 2000, 03:01 AM

I have had the "Not Enough Memory" problem initializing the Sound Manager on two different PowerMacs, one a 6100 running 8.1, and an 8500 running 8.6. A clean install of 8.6 cured the problem, until I dragged the preferences from my original apps over to the new System Folder from the Previous System Folder. Then the problem returned. I tried all of the things recommended above, to no avail. What worked was dragging the entire Preferences folder onto the Desktop, then rebooting. Then I dragged all of the Preferences (from the folder I put on the Desktop) BACK into the "new" Preferences folder, EXCEPT THE PREFERENCES THAT WERE ALREADY PRESENT IN THE "NEW" PREFERENCES FOLDER. All appears to be well. I will try the same thing with the 6100 now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules