Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Will you keep your .Mac?

View Poll Results: Will you keep your .Mac?
Poll Options:
Yes. 136 votes (62.10%)
No. 83 votes (37.90%)
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll
Will you keep your .Mac?
Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2002, 07:35 PM

With one week remaining, will you keep your .Mac account by paying $50 or leave and seek an alternative?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2002, 07:43 PM

I have already signed up. I've used my .Mac web site since iTools came out and I love it.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 07:45 PM

I signed up the day Steve announced it. I haven't looked back.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

goose
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2002, 08:05 PM

I signed up under iTools, just to have a mac.com email address. Now that they are charging for their service, I will stick with my normal email address since I use that for everything and everyone knows that one anyways.

There's never enough when you have too little

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 08:05 PM

I've used my iTools account since it first came out how many how many years ago, and frankly I just can't justify the cost. Its been a pain in the ass to switch everything over, but 99 bucks for an email account yearly, which I get for free with my ISP is an extra I can't justify, especially with current fiscal issues. There aren't any other bonuses that .Mac offers me for that cost.

macmike42
Senior User
Sep 23, 2002, 08:34 PM

I would probably be thinking about paying for my mac.com e-mail address if Mail's spam filter weren't so damn good!
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2002, 08:44 PM

I paid the $49. I won't pay the $100.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2002, 09:12 PM

I'm not even gonna pay the $49. It just postpones the inevitable.
If I used my iDisk extensively, I might consider paying. But I don't.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 23, 2002, 09:16 PM

How about an option that says,"Not sure yet. Still evaluating..."

That's me

xyber233
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 09:28 PM

I payed for this year...But $100 is way too much, If they they don't change the price next year, cya .mac.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2002, 09:56 PM

I have no choice but to pay the $50 for this year.

But if they haven't moved to a more reasonable pricing structure by this time next year, I'm gone.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2002, 10:09 PM

I found a cheaper service which provides better services anyway. It now also hosts my own domain name. It's a bit annoying changing things over, but it's well worth it. I think .Mac is very overpriced (and from what I hear has been unreliable compared to other hosting services).

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 10:22 PM

I paid a few weeks ago. I was running out of iDisk space, and I now enjoy my 100MB.
For me, .Mac is worth it for the web hosting, awesome iPhoto integration (check my homepage! ), having a cool email address (that I can also check everywhere, and for having a place to make a quick backup or file transfer. I haven't even used it with iCal yet, and I can't wait to see what else they add to the service. Me like!

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2002, 10:40 PM

Well worth it. Even with the Backup and Virex alone, I'm saving almost $200 in not needing to buy those, plus we're getting all of these other bonus free things and 100 photo prints. And there'll be more to come I'm sure. Lovin' my iCal!
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 11:17 PM

Yah, I'm gonna. I'll use it for a year and see what other innovations are added. (A year is a long time at Apple) If there isn't anything new to justify the $100 price tag, then I'm out.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 11:23 PM

I'm curious to see if the quality in .mac mail goes up any with the new price deal, but during this evaluation period its gone down, part of my frustration and not willing to pay for it. I mean really, the other day it took 24 hours for an email to go through, on average, about 15 minutes....on my verizon account, mails go through in seconds.

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2002, 11:38 PM

Nope. Too expensive. Just not worth it. Besides, next Sept, I'd be kicking myself when the $99 bill comes. I'm switching right now to get my own domain that I can transfer so I have control of my address. What's to say Apple won't raise it to $150 next year? They can blackmail you forever to keep that .mac address and it's free advertising for them.. Every time I sent email, people would ask me about macs. Apple just blew it. If they charged $20 a year it would have had the nice effect of getting rid of everyone with multiple accts and the idiots that just abused it because it was free. They would have easily had over 5x the adoption rate they're getting now. So they want $100 and are getting a low turnout and customer hatred instead. Someone at apple didn't think this through very well. Besides, the last two times I went to check my email over the web... it was down. Sad. Plus they've never really come clean about the bandwidth caps. Enjoy your overpriced internet service. I'm off to get myself some cheap webhosting with WEBDAV for my iCal and my own domain and you can be assured it will cost a fraction of .mac

Seamus
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2002, 11:40 PM

50 bucks is affordable...I'll pay a slight premium for good integration with the finder and applications. However, 100 bucks is WAY too much without other services to compensate.
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2002, 11:47 PM

For me, .Mac is worth it for the web hosting, awesome iPhoto integration ... having a cool email address (that I can also check everywhere, and for having a place to make a quick backup or file transfer. I haven't even used it with iCal yet, and I can't wait to see what else they add to the service. [/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I can do all of this except for the iPhoto integration on a cheaper service that provides much more functionality in other areas.

Eg, for iCal integration, all you need is WebDAV access and the free "phpicalendar" (check versiontracker.com).

I know that .Mac makes these things eaasier for many people (eg, who wouldn't know how to install phpicalendar), but for many of us, it's well worth looking around at other options.

Admitedly, I don't have integrated virus checking, but I'm not really interested in that. Automatic backups to other hosting services are dead simple too.

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Brass:

Admitedly, I don't have integrated virus checking, but I'm not really interested in that. Automatic backups to other hosting services are dead simple too. [/B]

Don't worry, you're not missing anything. Virex 7 as well as the .mac version (7.1) is pure garbage. It won't even autoupdate itself and noticably slows down your machine.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2002, 01:14 AM

Only reason I signed up was because they offered 100 free iPhoto prints. They're gonna have to offer more than that to get me to pay another $100 next year though...

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 01:17 AM

Same here. $50 is ok, but $100 is too much. I hope they will have come to their senses next year and charge $50 for renewal.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 03:34 AM

I have registered a week ago, but I can't use backup( freezes on launch ), iDisk utility, iCal ( calendar subscribing and publishing ) because I use a proxy and these apps don't work through a proxy or when you are behind a firewall. They better fix this real soon... Virex 7 is terrible, it takes ages to scan your system for viruses and you have to manually download updates from the virex website. I don't want to set up a webdav server or register my own domain name, I just want these apps to work, I can live with the pricetag....

Toyin
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 09:26 AM

I paid the $50 dollars and even with the 100 free prints it's really not worth it...yet. Back Up sucks for me because it has problems everytime I try to back up my ~/Library/preferences. It's also slow, slow, slow. I rarely get over 15kb/sec upload speed. iDisk Utility works OK, but the finder does the job just as well (goliath is still much faster). I still haven't got slide publisher to work correctly. Virex is simply crap. The web-based mail service is slow, slow, slow (even with a cable modem, and dual 500 with 1.5gb of ram!). The concept of iCal is cool, but it's execution leaves a bit to be desired. The saving grace may be iSync (though I'm not holding my breath). Good synchronization of my Palm phone, Address.app, and my web-based mail might make me content with .mac. I won't pay the $100 next year unless some of these features improve significantly.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 11:46 AM

I paid... $95 Australian.. and was feeling rather dubious about the worthwhileness of it. Then, in the mail, we got a voucher - a gift to .Mac members - $100 Australian off any Apple product. Worth it, with that? Heck yes!
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2002, 12:43 PM

No, I haven't and won't sign up. For me, the cost would have actually been $70 for the first year since I have three users in my household who have/need their own e-mail address. I thought about paying the $70 for the first year but I knew there was no way I was going to pay $120 in each subsequent year. Therefore... why pay $70 when I was going to end up changing e-mail addresses anyway.

100,000 signups is a very low number. Apple could have had many, many more with a different pricing structure but it appears they put little effort into Thinking Different on how they could have made the most out of this. You can tell already that they've realized the poor value in their offering by the giveaways that they've had to include.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2002, 12:54 PM

Already signed up. Don't think the $50 is unreasonable, but like others I may re-assess that when I have to pay $100.

It will depend very much on what else is added/integrated into the service... (so far I'm pretty happy tho)

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2002, 01:09 PM

I'm still on the fence about it. But after reading how it's not all that great...I'm kind of leaning towards not getting it. If I do, it'll be for this year only, as there is no way in hell I'll pay 99 for it. I mainly want to keep it for my email, but I think I can survive without it.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement for .mac? I hate using my ISP email now, especially since it's bombarded with spam. I just don't really know a decent place to sign up with.

Amorph
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2002, 02:18 PM

I shelled out the $50. Partly to keep the first email address I've been able to get in years that actually resembles my real name (it's a common one) and partly to see what's coming. I know Apple has plans for this thing, including monthly payment options, in the works. They've said as much.

So this buys me continuity for now, and a few nice things (I'm not going to sneeze at 100MB of web storage). I'll see where they are in a year.
James

"I grew up. Then I got better." - Sea Wasp

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2002, 03:42 PM

I would have, but I don't have a credit-card.

Why don't people accept money anymore?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2002, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I would have, but I don't have a credit-card.

Why don't people accept money anymore?
You can pick up a .Mac retail box in an Apple store (that is, if there is one close to where you live).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 03:57 PM

I paid the $50, but I refuse to pay $100 next year. All I use is the e-mail, I couldn't care less about iDisk or iTools... I honestly haven't used iDisk more than 5 times since iTools came out.

Expensive e-mail account.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:
I paid the $50, but I refuse to pay $100 next year. All I use is the e-mail, I couldn't care less about iDisk or iTools... I honestly haven't used iDisk more than 5 times since iTools came out.

Expensive e-mail account.
No - $4.15 per month for a 15 MB POP3 e-mail account is not bad, even if it does not come with 100 MB WebDAV storage, iCal calander posting, etc. like .Mac does.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2002, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
You can pick up a .Mac retail box in an Apple store (that is, if there is one close to where you live).
Thanks! I'll look into it. www.apple.is/ isn't a real apple store, rather a normal retailer... maybe, just maybe.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

No - $4.15 per month for a 15 MB POP3 e-mail account is not bad, even if it does not come with 100 MB WebDAV storage, iCal calander posting, etc. like .Mac does.

and not to mention its oh-so-great uptime/reliability!</sarcasm>

Musti  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
On that note, does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement for .mac? I hate using my ISP email now, especially since it's bombarded with spam. I just don't really know a decent place to sign up with.
http://macclick.netfirms.com/guide/webservices.html

booboo
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2002, 07:12 PM

Interesting that the general consensus on these forums is very different from the actual take up - with only something like 1% of iTools users so far coughing up the dosh and going .Mac.

For once, i agree with the majority.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2002, 10:10 PM

I'm surprised this many people have signed up for .Mac! However, I just did last night... I'm having a little remorse, but I figure $50 for a year's admission into Apple's little experiment isn't too awful. But $100? No, iPhoto integration isn't that cool.

Those Kodak prints really got me though... but why does it say I only have 10 free 4x6 prints right now? It asked me for my Apple ID, and not any .Mac account information... I want to make sure I get 100 free prints...

edit: well this may be the quickest edit ever. I just re-read the details on Apple's site, and it says:

NOTE: Your photo credits will be shown on the "Order Prints" screen in iPhoto. However, you will only be shown the first 2 digits of your available print credits. For example, if you have "100" credits it will show up as "10" credits.

Apple could have saved their customers a lot of headaches by giving away 99 prints... but 100 sounds much better than 99

Sven G
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2002, 05:51 AM

I'll sign up for .Mac if and when Apple will finally change their localisation policies; until then: no European integration/services, no .Mac - it's that simple!

Greenland is for toy dogs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2002, 06:04 AM

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at the level of pro .Mac support here. But there's not a chance I'll sign up for an account which was sold as a free email address to get people on board, and then moved to a paid service.

And for me, $49 per year, rising to $100 in Year 2, does not represent good value. Advice: totting up the sum individual total of the components of a .Mac account (Virex! Backup! Free Alchemy Deluxe!) does not a good offer prove.

I guess we've been through all of this before on other threads. .Mac means convenience for people who don't want the hassle, simple as that. So you pay a premium for it. 100,000 moms and pops agree.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2002, 09:01 AM

I can't justify the $49 or even the $100 just for email and an occasional upload of a picture to my iDisk. I get free email already.
Damned Apple.

Musti  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2002, 11:43 AM

It is funny (or sad?) how most of us misses the big picture. Let me explain:

I have two options. Either, because of being pissed off by Apple and their "drug-dealer" tactics I switch to another service and change my main e-mail account, or stay one more year.

If I switch, I will have to inform everyone in my address list, even overseas friends who e-mail me twice a year, about my new e-mail address and hope they will get that e-mail intact and record my new address.

If I don't switch, I will be with .Mac for another year. Now, who's to say that the price will not increase next year, or God forbid, .Mac will "unexpectedly" close. Apple, at its own discretion, has the right to close it. Or change the payment plan. Or change the options. Now after one year, with more contacts, it will be a greater hassle to inform friends of another address change.

Yeah, $50 is barely worth it for a decent enough e-mail service and excellent iDisk integration and what not. Yeah, I think I will pay it just to avoid the hassle.

But next year?
That really makes me think.

That was a very bad decision Apple.

slider
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 02:23 PM

I paid my $50, and I will probably pay the $100 next year. If .Mac is even still around next year, from the article a little while back it doesn't sound like too many people have climbed on board. We'll see.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 03:57 PM

No way.
As long as it was free, I advertized for "mac" and got in return a small e-mail account. If Apple does not want that any more it's their decision. If I needed more email and web storage I can get more and better for less.
I only wish there was a way to eliminate the .Mac and iDisk tab from the internet preferences.

-

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Moonray:
No way.
As long as it was free, I advertized for "mac" and got in return a small e-mail account. If Apple does not want that any more it's their decision. If I needed more email and web storage I can get more and better for less.
I only wish there was a way to eliminate the .Mac and iDisk tab from the internet preferences.

-
Yes, I'd like to eliminate the .Mac references from the OS. It would be nice if there was one .Mac setting somewhere that you could turn off, so that all references to it in other panes would vanish.

I've gone with another service, but my fear is that "dotless" Mac users may get treated as second class citizens by Apple. In fact this is already happening... iCal for example is a nice little application, but Apple are trying to make sure that it has more features for .Mac customers than for "dotless" Mac users. Similarly with other applications bundled with the operating system. We all pay for these applications (when we pay for the OS), and soon we may find out that we have to pay extra to use all of their features (an get a dot).

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2002, 09:38 PM

I'll get it for $50...

and I'll get it next year IF:

They add some really cool features (and perks like free photos)

Or it's only $50 again.

Just in case they don't come through, I'll be looking for an alternative and have a year to do it.

However, I'm not signing up untill the last minute : )

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2002, 12:09 AM

Not unless the price comes down. I've been using iTools ever since I got my Mac, but all I used it for was email and light iDisk storage. If I could purchase a .mac account with email and 5-10 MB of iDisk storage for $25 or so, then I'd subscribe yearly. But $50 is too much for my needs, and I've already got an email account from my ISP (along with 10 MB on a FAST server).

The primary reason I used iTools was because I wanted to advertise that I was a Mac user by having an email at mac.com. That's advertising FOR Apple. I'm not going to pay Apple so I can advertise FOR them, that's ridiculous.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Sirfishalot
Sep 26, 2002, 12:58 AM

No way Im gonna shell out 50 bucks for this. Apple can keep their email, etc. I already pay for this stuff by having broadband. May not be quite as slick, but I just resent the tactic of being suckered in for a "freebie" only to be hit up later after gotten accustomed to the system. I didn't use the IDisk and the email was my third account not being used very much. Man they even want to charge for ICards?
Apple is beginning to get on my nerves.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2002, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Brass:

Yes, I'd like to eliminate the .Mac references from the OS. It would be nice if there was one .Mac setting somewhere that you could turn off, so that all references to it in other panes would vanish.
I'd especially like to get rid of the "Buy More" button in the iDisk tab, or at least have a "inspired by Micro$oft" logo on it.

I wonder how long it will be until the Finder starts to bug you "Get an .Mac account! You don't know what you're missing!" on login, like XPs silly Passport nag screen?

BTW, the iDisk in Finder -> Go would have to disappear, too.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

souljer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2002, 07:29 AM

.mac.con.

Overclockedhomosapien wrote:

"The primary reason I used iTools was because I wanted to advertise that I was a Mac user by having an email at mac.com. That's advertising FOR Apple. I'm not going to pay Apple so I can advertise FOR them, that's ridiculous."

I TOTALLY agree with this and I also thought it was a fun/nice thing to have a .mac e-mail address. It being free made it some kind of extra "thank you" that helped justify the "cost" of Macintosh ownership (money, time, hassle, etc.), besides the normal stuff, (design, nice GUI, whatever it is you like about Macs, etc.). Unfortunately I trusted Apple to keep e-mail free, and now I don't have time to get a new address and tell everyone what it is, etc. So I'll pay the $50 and make sure I get that job done before next September. NO WAY am I paying $100. for crap that I never asked for, looked for, or used before. I don't need that. Leave my e-mail alone. Stop being greedy pigs, Apple!!

Everything about .mac seems so stupid and obviously a bad idea. Mr. Jobs saying "We saw .net and thought 'let's jump in that boat'.", or words to that effect. What happened to "Think different"?? Now Apple is going to jump in a boat designed by MicroSoft?? How backwards does that sound? I would humbly suggest to Apple and Mr. Jobs to keep all floatation devices close at hand.

As Apple starts to think more and more about profits at any cost (parasitic: another example; crapy 90 day or 1 year warranty on $2000+ equipment unless you pay more $$$ for a few more years. What a scam!! Or should I say a "mac.con") and less and less about quality products/value to produce profits (symbiotic) the question will no longer be "Where do you want to go today?" or "Think different." It will be "Think how you want to be ripped off today."

I really, really hope that Apple/Jobs figures out how good they had it and how bad and hurtful this is to normal people as well as to the good moral Apple users had, and change their policy to something reasonable. Someone else mentioned charging something like $10 or $20 to weed out the jerks who were taking advantage of the situation. That sounds better (not better than giving me back my free e-mail, so I can save up for a nice iPod sooner, but better). And I really, really, REALLY hope that they find the greedy ass who's idea .mac was and fire that person! They were probably recruited from MicroSoft anyway.

I hope that all doesn't sound too bitter lol... Can't wait to see how this fiasco plays out over the next 6 months. Remember, brothers and sisters, they need our money a lot more than we need .mac. With a little patience on our part we'll send a message. Most of us who've waited at least up to now are sending a message. When many of us don't renew next year (assuming .mac survives as is until next Sept) that will definitely send a loud, silent message.
( Last edited by souljer; Sep 26, 2002 at 08:06 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules