Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > What ever happened to...

What ever happened to... (Page 2)
Link
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by Rosyna:
I've seen the openness, or lack thereof, of the guiKit format come up a lot in this forum. I have to wonder, what exactly does anyone think would change (for good) in the world if the guikit format was open?
It wouldn't be good for Unsanity. At best nobody would give a damn.

At the worst someone might come along and make a really good, competetive program that uses the same standard. Suddenly Unsanity needs to compete and it's either innovate or die.

That's positive thinking for any market. Personally if I was going to come up with a market where the formats competed I'd make the programs free and have the themers charge for their themes (iTMS style).. give the themers AND programmers a nice chunk of change, and all is well

That could be interesting.. suddenly you have competition on price fronts too... and the programmers would only make money depending on how popular their format is. Hrmm.

Nah an open GuiKit could be interesting. It might flop but it might just as easily take off and make theming better for everyone. After all it's (for unsanity) putting money where their mouth is.

Then again who knows -- maybe I'm simply wrong and all the theme makers are so damn content that they'll NEVER switch to another system. IMHO that's making a pretty strong point since (IMHO) the theme makers don't have a very big pillar to stand on themselves (take a look at themexp.. there's thousands of themes while there's hardly 100 OS X themes) -- top it off most OS X themes are either all flat and zen on everything or go nuts on beveled everything.. HRMMMMmmmmm

Geez I have a lot to stand behind myself huh. I don't make themes NOR do I program. Oh well.
Aloha

dialo
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Sage:
I have to ask the same thing. I haven't seen anybody put up a really good reason as to how we'll benefit from the guiKit format being totally open
You need someone to tell you?

Because then unsanity would have competition and you would have options.

lenox
Senior User
Apr 26, 2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
jeeze you guys really make me lose faith in the educational system.
Now, don't go blaming that on them. Looks to me like you long ago lost faith in the educational system

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 10:09 AM

So now I must ask. Why does the opening of guikit automatically (and suddenly) make competition to ShapeShifter appear? What programs would use it?

And FWIW, the guikit format is still evolving. It currently is not complete. It currently may have a dead-end. If it is released, it means it must stay in that incomplete format forever or else risk making stuff that works with the format (if it ever exists) to become obsolete. Which means in the long run, that ShapeShifter couldn't have some features it would otherwise be able to have if guikit was released when it was a completely polished format.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by dialo:
You need someone to tell you?

Because then unsanity would have competition and you would have options.
Unsanity could have some competition but the competition still would have to build a theme changer that can handle the Guikit format, an open format would only allow someone to write such an app but they still would have a hard time making it 100% compatible with the format and as safe as SS, plus it would have to be updated whenever SS decides to release a new version of their app. Not easy because SS has set a very high standard for the competition...

I would like to see some competition but I'm pretty sure it won't come from CarpeStellarem ( excuse me my hate for this company but I saw what happened with Duality GT a few years ago and I see what is happening with XTender right now )...

flamingmoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
jeeze you guys really make me lose faith in the educational system.
jeeze you really make me lose faith in the parenting system.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 10:19 PM

Wow... there was a whole thread about us... I'm honored.

We have a web site at http://carpestellarem.com. We sell a lot of software other than Xtender. Our network software has been selling very well, and we also spend time working on that.

You can pretty easily check that site any time for any status updates on the company.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
Wow... there was a whole thread about us... I'm honored.

We have a web site at http://carpestellarem.com. We sell a lot of software other than Xtender. Our network software has been selling very well, and we also spend time working on that.

You can pretty easily check that site any time for any status updates on the company.
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see a single mention of Xtender on that site. As cool as your other software is ( duality........) I think Xtender is what the gui community is interested in hearing about.

Tarambana
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2004, 09:27 AM

Heh. Just my thoughts. Can't see the point on telling us how good a networking software is, when you are on a Mac GUI customization forum.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2004, 12:53 PM

If Unsanity pulled its product tomorrow and ended it all right there. A bunch of angry, "monopoly" finger pointers would be saying, "What the ..."

Ever tried to develop your own software from scratch?
Ever tried to build a website without using preconstructed modules and jacked code?

Very few of us can, honestly, say we have done this tedious, mind-numbing process.

Carpe Stellarem may not be delivering the product you want to see in the time they said they were going to but was Apple's PUMA that user friendly? Much hype, many revisions, and you want to talk Alpha testing, they released it saying "Good Product" and the rest of us bought it... We PAID to be testers... Lucky us.

Perhaps it worth downloading a FREE Beta that doesn't work to our expectations, and try again when a revision comes out and enjoy watching a product in process. I know I do.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Link:
I was hoping they'd end the era of the monopolist company that distributes crap shareware and tried to take over the theme market
Hahahahahahahaahahahahahaahhhaaahaahaahaahaaha... so sad.

FB Eye
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 04:43 PM

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Hahahahahahahaahahahahahaahhhaaahaahaahaahaaha... so sad.
Says the other man whose product dropped off the face of the earth.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2004, 09:03 PM

What about GUIKitty
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Forum Links
Forum Rules