Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 4.5 Problems - Anybody Else???

iTunes 4.5 Problems - Anybody Else???
Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 12:54 PM

I've been having a few problems with iTunes Music Store since the 4.5 upgrade that did NOT occur in 4.2...

When I go to the MS and try to search, I get the following error:
We could not complete your Music Store request. An unknown error occured(-206).
There was an error in the Music Store. Please try again later.

When I try to access the section to enter Pepsi Codes, I get:
Could not complete the Music Store request. The store may be busy.
Check your Internet connection or try again later.

When I go to browse, click on a Genre, click on an Artist, then click on an Album, I also get the same error:
When I try to access the section to enter Pepsi Codes, I get:

And when I click on my Shopping Cart, I also get the same error:

----

Is anybody else having any of these problems???

All these features worked yesterday when I was still using 4.2... Another computer on my network still using 4.2 (Windows Version), is able to do all these things fine (which means it isn't network related). Also I tried fixing permissions...

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 01:14 PM

THIS PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY UNSANITY'S APPLICATION ENHANCER (APE)!!!

Disabling APE allows all features of iTMS under 4.5 to work perfectly!!!!

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Bobby:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Bobby:

are you sure?

I have no such problem.. I bet the iTMS was busy for good.

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 01:43 PM

OK, I figured it out!!!

If I have APE disabled completely I get no errors at all. If I have it enabled but leave all the Haxies disabled, I get the error a few times at first, then after a few tries the Music Store starts working normally.

If I enable several Haxies, the pattern does the same as what happens when none of them are enabled (error a few times, then works fine).

WHEN I ENABLE SHAPESHIFTER, I GET THE ERROR EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL!!! I'VE GONE SEVERAL TIMES WHILE LOGGING IN & OUT & WITHOUT FAIL, IF SHAPESHIFTER IS ENABLED, THE ERRORS COME UP EVERY TIME! IF SHAPESHIFTER IS DISABLED, BUT ANY COMBINATION OF MY OTHER HAXIES ARE ENDABLED, THE ERROR WILL OCCUR A FEW TIMES AT FIRST, BUT THEN WILL START WORKING AFTER THE FIRST FEW TRIES!!!

This pattern is 100% reproducable on my system. I have not been able to get my system to deviate from these patters regardless of any other factors outside APE...

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 02:20 PM

Here's a fix for the problem with APE (also having the problem on my Powerbook)

I give credit to Chinasaur on the #macnn irc channel for suggesting this to me.

-Open the APE preference pane.
-Cick on the Exclude List tab
-Add iTunes to the exclude list

Yay!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 28, 2004, 02:22 PM

Stop using the Caps Lock key, Bobby!

tooki

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 02:46 PM

Unsanity's new slogan -- "We bring to OS X all of the old OS 9 goodness, even the extension conflicts."

Chris

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
I don't do it very often... Sorry, I guess I got a little over excited...

osxisfun
Apr 28, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Unsanity's new slogan -- "We bring to OS X all of the old OS 9 goodness, even the extension conflicts."

Chris

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
WHAT IF I ONLY USE THE SHIFT KEY?

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
WHAT IF I ONLY USE THE SHIFT KEY?
He said nothing about you, if you read, the statement was specifically addressed to me...

Which makes me wonder, how did he know I wasn't using the shift key...

Uh oh, I better look around...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 04:54 PM

Chris

That's exactly why I steer clear of those.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 06:57 PM

Exactly! Me too.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 11:46 PM

I get the same errors but I don't have ape installed ... all i have have is stuffit and menumeters ...

I can't buy music!

:edit:

fine fine I'll be patient

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 12:02 AM

I'm the author of ShapeShifter, and this does not seem to be an issue with either ShapeShifter or with APE in general. I've been able to download songs with ShapeShifter installed and active in iTunes and without, and I've gotten the error messages both with ShapeShifter installed and not. In other words, ShapeShifter does not seem to be the issue.

I suspect that the actual issue is simply that Apple's servers are getting hammered hard and any correlation with ShapeShifter is just a coincidence. Of course, if I find anything to indicate otherwise, I'll post ASAP with a work-around or fix, but at this time, based on extensive testing, I don't believe that ShapeShifter is the issue.

Here's some further discussion on Apple's boards regarding this.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

paulsrandall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 07:07 AM

I agree with the last post. I have ShapeShifter and all functions in iTunes 4.5 work for me. I have all of Unsanity's products and none of them pose any problem. I have not put iTunes on the Exclude List of any of the Application Enhancers that have an Exclude List. Everything works great. The only application I have needed to add to the Exclude Lists is Dantz Retrospect 6.0 (5.1 was fine). I put it in all of the Exclude Lists rather than search out the cause of Retrospect crashes.

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
I'm the author of ShapeShifter, and this does not seem to be an issue with either ShapeShifter or with APE in general. I've been able to download songs with ShapeShifter installed and active in iTunes and without, and I've gotten the error messages both with ShapeShifter installed and not. In other words, ShapeShifter does not seem to be the issue.

I suspect that the actual issue is simply that Apple's servers are getting hammered hard and any correlation with ShapeShifter is just a coincidence. Of course, if I find anything to indicate otherwise, I'll post ASAP with a work-around or fix, but at this time, based on extensive testing, I don't believe that ShapeShifter is the issue.

Here's some further discussion on Apple's boards regarding this.
My specific problem, as I said, is 100% repeatable... The odds of it occuring randomly by chance only when I log in with ShapeShifter enabled is impossible. I will go though 5 times & post here when done, going between ShapeShifter being enabled & disabled, while holding down shift to see what happens. If it's not ShapeShifter, then the result based state of it being enabled & disabled should not be 100% predictable...
( Last edited by Bobby; Apr 29, 2004 at 11:09 AM. )

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 11:06 AM

These are the tests that I ran. Each time I loged in, I held shift down so nothing else loaded. I enabled and disabled ShapeShifter by checking & unchecking it in the APE Manager Pane...

See for yourself...
Code:
Login Time ShapeShifter State Search Result 7:55 AM Enabled Error 7:59 AM Disabled Worked fine 8:00 AM Enabled Error 8:01 AM Disabled Worked fine 8:03 AM Enabled Error 8:05 AM Disabled Worked fine
You've got to admit, if ShapeShifter isn't the cause, then I have the best luck in the galixy...

Also keep in mind that before the above test, my previous results were 100% as well...

Again, I held down shift as soon as my desktop picture appeared so no other apps would load. If ShapeShifter has nothing to do with it then I'm going to go out and buy myself a lottery ticket...
( Last edited by Bobby; Apr 29, 2004 at 01:02 PM. )

CJM
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 12:01 PM

I'm having the same results as Bobby. Adding itunes to the shapeshifter exclude list fixes the problems, every time.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 12:40 PM

what theme are you two using? there may be some shapeshifter itunes skin issues that youre not thinking about.

try changing the theme to milk and seeing what happens. there is word that that theme works.

... just trying to help.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Apr 29, 2004, 12:42 PM

The problem is ShapeShifter, sort of. It uses cache to apply the theme, and it has the old iTunes.rsrc file cached. What you need to do is not exclude iTunes, but simply switch to an other theme and then back to the theme of your choice. The cache will then be recreated with the new iTunes.rsrc and you will be good to go.
I did not have this problem myself, but I'm quite sure it will work.

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
The problem is ShapeShifter, sort of. It uses cache to apply the theme, and it has the old iTunes.rsrc file cached. What you need to do is not exclude iTunes, but simply switch to an other theme and then back to the theme of your choice. The cache will then be recreated with the new iTunes.rsrc and you will be good to go.
I did not have this problem myself, but I'm quite sure it will work.
I deleted the ShapeShifter Cache folder, which fixed it!!!

Thanks!!!

CJM
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 01:13 PM

yup that takes care of the problem, thanks.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 02:05 PM

Anyone having trouble synchronizing their iPod with iTunes 4.5? I have a 2nd gen 10GB iPod. I upgraded it to the new firmware yesterday and upgraded iTunes to 4.5, but now when I hook up my iPod, iTunes launches and I just get a spinning beachball unless I reset the iPod and disconnect it. Anyone else having this problem?

Maybe it's just my iPod, but it seems like others on the Apple support forum are having similar problems, to varying degrees.

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 06:46 PM

Max and Raf pegged this exactly.

Turns out that there is an issue with ShapeShifter and iTunes 4.5. The issue is that iTunes 4.5 is using iTunes 4.2 resources because ShapeShifter had cached them for speedy access.

The fix is simply to reapply your theme using the ShapeShifter preference pane and relaunch iTunes.

I don't think that ShapeShifter is the only issue - I still think that Apple's servers are getting hammered. People who have never installed ShapeShifter are getting the same errors. But using the cached resources can't be a good thing, so I suggest that all ShapeShifter users follow the above procedure.

Apologies to all for any inconvenience this has caused, and please rest assured that we'll be resolving this in a future release of ShapeShifter.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 08:43 PM

i recently upgraded and went to check a roommates "new" playlist and what do you know -- my version of iTunes is not compatible with his version of iTunes. Now I have to explain to my already apple shy roommates they must upgrade to a new version so that we can continue to share music. i could downgrade, but its just not logical. (i imagine i will though)
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 08:51 PM

Since you share a room, why bother your "Apple shy" roommate at all? Just update his machine for him while he's away. That's what a true friend would do.

Chris

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2004, 12:21 AM

Since you share a room, why bother your "Apple shy" roommate at all? Just update his machine for him while he's away. That's what a true friend would do.

Chris
haha ... we're not in the dorms anymore, but if that were the case I would definitely do that.

MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

lenox
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 12:33 PM

So your windows-using friend is afraid of updating his software?

I double-dog dare you to run windows update on his machine

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 01:39 PM

Where are my stars ?

This happens every time, I tried adding iTunes to the ShapeShifter exclude list but that didn't help....Not the end of the world just strange

TJKong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2004, 11:10 PM

We can no longer burn iTMS purchased songs with Toast. Not good if iTunes does not support your cd drive.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2004, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by TJKong:
We can no longer burn iTMS purchased songs with Toast. Not good if iTunes does not support your cd drive.
Hm. that seems bad. Seems like they did this to stop people from ripping the AIFF files from the songs.

That's too bad. I wonder if we'll see a fix from Roxio or Apple for this. That's kind of depressing.

Orion27
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 12:12 PM

I was I little shy about upgrading to 4.5 and thought I'd wait a bit. I went to purchase some music but Apple wouldn't let me unless I upgraded to 4.5. Kinda bugged me a little bit.
Apple lost a sale and I still have not upgraded.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 12:49 PM

I understand. But we also have to understand Apple's predicament. They cannot have people defeating the restrictions in the songs. And the only way they can enforce it is to force people to upgrade to the latest version. In face, that's the only reason you haven't upgraded, right? Be honest. Other than that, there is no reason not to upgrade.

It will be very interesting to see how Microsoft handles similar problems. I have no doubt that their "solution" will be much more user unfriendly than anything Apple does.

Chris

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by Orion27:
I was I little shy about upgrading to 4.5 and thought I'd wait a bit. I went to purchase some music but Apple wouldn't let me unless I upgraded to 4.5. Kinda bugged me a little bit.
Apple lost a sale and I still have not upgraded.
how sweet.

Orion27
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by lngtones:
how sweet.
Mother****er another upgrade. **** DRM, the bastards. If I buy a song and want to share or sell it I should be allowed to. And **** Apple too for sucking the DRM dick. And Itunes
breaks iDVD and iMove. Bastards.

How coarse

vasu
Senior User
May 7, 2004, 08:39 PM

i wish there wasn't this toast problem now, i really want the songs i buy to be burned with cd-text so i can see the track names in my car.

-vasu

Bobby  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by wataru:

Hey, what's with that signature???

It reminds me of my site:
http://www.torgo.org/
More specifically my "Torgo" page:
http://www.torgo.org/torgo/

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 12, 2004, 03:11 AM

I do not know if this is a new iTunes problem or not.

I selected Look for shared music earlier today, and it worked. Well, I quit iTunes and later restarted it tonight, and my shared music from my G5 doesn't show up now, and the Look option is still checked.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 01:16 AM

I was on iPodlounge looking to see if someone else had that damaged iTunes Music Library problem, and only ran across one post about it. However, both of us got pruned down to exactly 1800 songs. There's something weird going on here...

clf8
Jun 4, 2004, 07:00 PM

Since updating to 4.5, I've noticed that if I've got another computer connected to my powerbook streaming music, the screen does not go to sleep. I'm pretty sure it used to. If the song is long enough for the screen to partially dim, when it gets to the next song the screen returns to full brightness.

I realize you don't want your computer going to sleep if you're streaming music, but the screen still should.
-Flowers...

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Jun 8, 2004, 09:37 AM

I'm having a completely different problem:

When I am sending a file via iChat or hooking up another computer to the computer I am using and getting files off it then iTunes will stutter and sound like squishing a can. In other words iTunes doesn't play correctly anymore as long as I am pushing bytes through my Airport connection...

System:
Dual 1.3 GHz G4 (Sawtooth),
704 MB RAM,
enough HD Space,
iTunes 4.5,
most recent Airport software updates

Forum Links
Forum Rules